Old "King" of R2R DAC Is Dead? Denafrips Terminator-Plus / Terminator+ Arrives
Jul 6, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 248
Hi Sage,

Gbp1.2k/m for the Tellurium Silver diamond that you are using as clock cable with your new usd1.5k Denafrips gaia ddc ? Seems a bit too much for me.

This further reinforce point in my earlier posts on the usd2k difference on hardware and technology upgrade from standard Denafrips Terminator to the Plus version vs cablings, power supply etc.

Even Sotm 50 ohm bnc as clock cable is usd700 which is beyond me :frowning2:

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20200706-221632_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200706-221735_Chrome.jpg
I'm using the Tellurium as my master clock cables for my Trifecta 3 x 75ohm. 1x50ohm is from sotm as Tellurium do not make 50ohm. As for whether the spending is justified, to each his own. I am a big believer in cables personally.

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #32 of 248
Nice choice of cables there Blake, I was using Sablon too till I went with the Tellurium. They operate at a much higher level than the cost. As for the clocks, https://audiobacon.net/2018/08/11/the-audiophiles-short-list-the-best-digital-coaxial-cables/ have a read. I went with the soTm BNC for my 50ohm as Tellurium do not make them.

Thanks for the link! I follow Audio Bacon (I think he is one of the best reviewers on the web) but somehow missed this one. I will check it out. Right now I just have one Kimber Kable D60 and need to purchase the other but I will see if Audio Bacon has other suggestions. The Sablon 2020 cables are simply amazing.

As I side note, Alvin told me that 75 ohm cables are needed for the clock cables connecting the Terminator Plus to the Gaia, or are you using your 50 ohm clock cables elsewhere?

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #33 of 248
Thanks for the link! I follow Audio Bacon (I think he is one of the best reviewers on the web) but somehow missed this one. I will check it out. Right now I just have one Kimber Kable D60 and need to purchase the other but I will see if Audio Bacon has other suggestions. The Sablon 2020 cables are simply amazing.

As I side note, Alvin told me that 75 ohm cables are needed for the clock cables connecting the Terminator Plus to the Gaia, or are you using your 50 ohm clock cables elsewhere?
Hi Blake,
I am not using a TP/Gaia combo. Mine is the Termy/Gaia combo. My BNC cables are for my master clock which I use to clock my Trifecta and 2 x soTm switches, hence my cables are 3X Telluirium SD (1 x sms-200), (1X tx-usb ultra), (1 x sotm switch at 75ohm) and 1 x sotm switch at 50 ohm using soTm BNC.

With regards to Sablon, yes Mark as usual put in some of Merlin's magic dust. They are really good aren't they? His Power Cords are also very good. Enjoy the music Blake, and congrats on your purchase of a very fine product in both the Gaia and the TP. Stay safe.

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #34 of 248
Since the Gaia/Terminator Plus uses two clock cables, I would if one could use a different cable on each clock and thereby "tune" the sound?

Probably not the best idea, but hey, it is another possible variable if someone had a few different cables in the arsenal. :smile:

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #35 of 248
Since the Gaia/Terminator Plus uses two clock cables, I would if one could use a different cable on each clock and thereby "tune" the sound?

Probably not the best idea, but hey, it is another possible variable if someone had a few different cables in the arsenal. :smile:
That's goin to be quite an expensive exercise Blake, ie, if you going with branded cables, unless you can get some off from your audio guy to try out on ur system. Good luck.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #36 of 248

Hi Blake,

The use of 2 clocks of gaia and Terminator Plus is for music of different sampling rate .. play 44.1khz files or multiples if it but disconnect the 45Mhz clock output/input and you will not have sound with just connected 49Mhz clock output/input ... vice versa.

This make comparison and "tuning" as you mentioned not possible .. at least not same music from same file of same sampling rate without physically removing the clock cables.

With shared apogee wyde eye and Canare at vary affordable $, you can get 2 pairs each and compare, including to any existing one before any decision to get big $ brand ones.

One thing for sure is please please use correct 75 ohm type and not speculate that such engineering specification does not apply to short length used.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #37 of 248
Hi Blake,

The use of 2 clocks of gaia and Terminator Plus is for music of different sampling rate .. play 44.1khz files or multiples if it but disconnect the 45Mhz clock output/input and you will not have sound with just connected 49Mhz clock output/input ... vicr versa.

This make comparison and "tuning" as you mentioned not possible .. at least not same music from same file of same sampling rate without physically removing them.

With shared apogee wyde eye and Canare at vary affordable $, you can get 2 pairs each and compare, including to any existing one before any decision to get big $ brand ones.

One thing for sure is please please use correct 75 ohm type and not speculate that such engineering specification does not apply to short length used.

Cheers.

Richard

For the clock cables, I purchased these, but also have Mogami and the Apogee Wyde Eye on order. All I can tell you is that the Canare with Neutrik connectors is performing very well so far. I'm not even sure what to listen for when comparing clock cables, but we'll see.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #38 of 248
Hi John,
Thank you for re-confrming my hard on with the Tubulus Argentus. They sure do look well made and the maker was reviewed very favourably at Mono and Stereo. Their quality should also be very high as Argentina make some of the best steel plates. They have alot of silver there too.

I do have an update on the HDMI cables. Keep in mind that there are only six to seven hours on each, but they both already have their own personality. I would describe the as follows:

Wireworld Platinum 1.0m - Very detailed cable and has a larger soundstage than the Tubulus. Everything is set further back in the stage. No fatigue, but also a little...boring? Sounds a little clinincal - not by itself, but in relation to the Tubulus.

Tubulus Argentus .5m - Also a detailed cable, but has a bit more body throughout the mid-range and stage is quite a bit closer. I do love a large soundstage, but there is a realism and engagement factor that the Tubulus has that the Wireworld doesn't.

So, pros and cons, but I need to get several more hours on these cables to see if anything changes. Plus, it's the first day for the Gaia and the clock cables as well.. so those are variables as well as the sound changes. As of now, the nod goes to the Tubulus regardless of cost... and considering it's half the price, it's the clear suggestion for now.

I'll let you know if impressions change with more time on the cables.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #39 of 248
Hi Blake,

The use of 2 clocks of gaia and Terminator Plus is for music of different sampling rate .. play 44.1khz files or multiples if it but disconnect the 45Mhz clock output/input and you will not have sound with just connected 49Mhz clock output/input ... vice versa.

This make comparison and "tuning" as you mentioned not possible .. at least not same music from same file of same sampling rate without physically removing the clock cables.

Cheers.

Richard

Oh, I was joking a bit there, hence the smiley. I already have a Kimber D60 which is 75 ohm so the money is already spent. I may try the Requisite Audio D3r from the AudioBacon link (if it comes in 75 ohm), just for fun since it is cheap to see what sonic differences exist as compared to the Kimber.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #40 of 248
I do have an update on the HDMI cables. Keep in mind that there are only six to seven hours on each, but they both already have their own personality. I would describe the as follows:

Wireworld Platinum 1.0m - Very detailed cable and has a larger soundstage than the Tubulus. Everything is set further back in the stage. No fatigue, but also a little...boring? Sounds a little clinincal - not by itself, but in relation to the Tubulus.

Tubulus Argentus .5m - Also a detailed cable, but has a bit more body throughout the mid-range and stage is quite a bit closer. I do love a large soundstage, but there is a realism and engagement factor that the Tubulus has that the Wireworld doesn't.

So, pros and cons, but I need to get several more hours on these cables to see if anything changes. Plus, it's the first day for the Gaia and the clock cables as well.. so those are variables as well as the sound changes. As of now, the nod goes to the Tubulus regardless of cost... and considering it's half the price, it's the clear suggestion for now.

I'll let you know if impressions change with more time on the cables.
I know exactly what u are saying, it’s like comparing a Sabre chip to an AKM one? That’s why I got a SP1000 instead of the iBasso a few years back.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #41 of 248
I know exactly what u are saying, it’s like comparing a Sabre chip to an AKM one? That’s why I got a SP1000 instead of the iBasso a few years back.
That’s a really good analogy actually.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #42 of 248
For the clock cables, I purchased these, but also have Mogami and the Apogee Wyde Eye on order. All I can tell you is that the Canare with Neutrik connectors is performing very well so far. I'm not even sure what to listen for when comparing clock cables, but we'll see.

Hi John,

You are not alone .. I also do not know what to listen to with different clock cables and none so far with the received apogee wyde eye compared to replaced usd10 monoprice one ... feel more assured though I guess.

Note however that my case is without gaia yet and only to the Denafrips Avatar that I do have.

Believe the whole idea of a bad clock cable e.g. due to mismatch impedence etc. is that the leading and trailing edges of the clock plus is not as squarish as a good/ok one and that causes specified jitter specification of equipment/clock not to be met and hence higher jitters which we know is detrimental to sound quality.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #43 of 248
If it’s possible, get a audiophile quality and give it a shot. But of course your system has to be highly resolving to experience the difference once it’s plugged in. Good luck John. Didn’t the WW and Tubulus make a difference or sound different? The clock cables make as much difference. Anyways, more importantly enjoy the music. Cheers.

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #44 of 248
If it’s possible, get a audiophile quality and give it a shot. But of course your system has to be highly resolving to experience the difference once it’s plugged in. Good luck John. Didn’t the WW and Tubulus make a difference or sound different? The clock cables make as much difference. Anyways, more importantly enjoy the music. Cheers.
The difference between the HDMI cables is obvious. I don’t doubt there will be a change in sound with the clock cable, but not sure which attributes of the sound will change. I’ll know soon enough.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #45 of 248
The difference between the HDMI cables is obvious. I don’t doubt there will be a change in sound with the clock cable, but not sure which attributes of the sound will change. I’ll know soon enough.

Hi, any updates or further thoughts on your Tubulus Argentus HDMI?

I just ordered one so I am curious.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back