Old "King" of R2R DAC Is Dead? Denafrips Terminator-Plus / Terminator+ Arrives
Jul 3, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #16 of 248
Hi John,

Nice and please keep us updated.

I had asked for demo gaia to hope notable improvement of my most used Bel Canto fm1 tuner from reclocking by and sync to Terminator Plus' ocxo clock but do have concern on added $, longer route of fm1->gaia->TP vs current fm1. Another usd2.5 that I doubt that I will spend unless there is marked improvement.

Btw, are you still spinning the silver discs and got the Avatar ? Perhaps bias but with the reasonably priced Avator in addition to the GAIA, Denafrips Terminator Plus is really setting a benchmark for some winning combo.

Yes, I am also unshamingly bias to i2S connectivity and synced clocking (beyond just improved internal clock) for sound quality especially if transport is not already with sound decent oxco.

Cheers.

Richard
No silver discs for me. I have the Auralic Aries G2 and listen mostly to Tidal. The G2 already has galvanic isolation, and it’s connected via AES to the Terminator Plus. When the Gaia arrives, I’ll experiment with USB and AES into the Gaia. I also have two i2s cables - the Wireworld Platinum HDMI and the Tubulus Argentus. I’ll be testing all combinations to see what works best in my setup. I also got some studio grade clock cables - not too crazy on those.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #18 of 248
Ok, I LOVE my Terminator but with all this talk I have decided to join the fun. Terminator Plus just ordered!:beerchug:

Hey Blake,

A big welcome to the bright side 🥳🥳.

No cabling or voodoo will get you this level of improvement in sound quality ... enjoy !

Please play faster pop or complex orchestra music to compare as I find the notes are easier to follow and discern with the Terminator Plus as compared to my previous Terminator which sums up the improvement and what we wish for ?

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #20 of 248
Has anyone done a comparison test with this and the TotalDAC offerings?

Hi bluecar,

Will indeed be interesting for reference and hopefully d1 single, d1 tube etc.

Cheers.

Richard
Screenshot_20200706-094452_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #21 of 248
No silver discs for me. I have the Auralic Aries G2 and listen mostly to Tidal. The G2 already has galvanic isolation, and it’s connected via AES to the Terminator Plus. When the Gaia arrives, I’ll experiment with USB and AES into the Gaia. I also have two i2s cables - the Wireworld Platinum HDMI and the Tubulus Argentus. I’ll be testing all combinations to see what works best in my setup. I also got some studio grade clock cables - not too crazy on those.

Hi John,

Aaah ... a bit wasted then on one of its key functionality for further sound quality and not aware many value for many options for synced clock operation with dedicated media servers like aurender w20/se, Asia Weiss Man301, Cary Audio's dm-600se etc. and certain none for other sources like fm tuner etc. Perhaps computer based server with pcie cards ?

Nice i2s cables you have that I commonly read about but I just got cheaper ones for digital signal cables:

- for i2s, they are monoprice and hdmi pangea premier se hd23pc hdmi 1.4,

- for i2s rj45, some chinese concoction and meicord and

- for clocking, they are monoprice, geistnote's apogee wyde eye and Canare( カナレ ) D5.5UHDC01E.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/cabl...-silver-plated-cardas-copper-06m-p-13324.html

#Aliexpress SG$ 38.87 30%OFF | Cat8 Ethernet Cable RJ 45 Lan Cable Cat 8 Networking Cable 0.5M 1M 1.5M 2M 3M 4M 5M 7M 8M 10M 12M 15M 20M 25M 30M 40M 50M 60M
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWTDWb6

https://geistnote.com/geistnote-75-apogee-wyde-eye-word-clock-bnc-cable/

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/detail/item/239127/

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #22 of 248
Hi John,

Aaah ... a bit wasted then on one of its key functionality for further sound quality and not aware many value for many options for synced clock operation with dedicated media servers like aurender w20/se, Asia Weiss Man301, Cary Audio's dm-600se etc. and certain none for other sources like fm tuner etc. Perhaps computer based server with pcie cards ?

Nice i2s cables you have that I commonly read about but I just got cheaper ones for digital signal cables:

- for i2s, they are monoprice and hdmi pangea premier se hd23pc hdmi 1.4,

- for i2s rj45, some chinese concoction and meicord and

- for clocking, they are monoprice, geistnote's apogee wyde eye and Canare( カナレ ) D5.5UHDC01E.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/cabl...-silver-plated-cardas-copper-06m-p-13324.html

#Aliexpress SG$ 38.87 30%OFF | Cat8 Ethernet Cable RJ 45 Lan Cable Cat 8 Networking Cable 0.5M 1M 1.5M 2M 3M 4M 5M 7M 8M 10M 12M 15M 20M 25M 30M 40M 50M 60M
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWTDWb6

https://geistnote.com/geistnote-75-apogee-wyde-eye-word-clock-bnc-cable/

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/detail/item/239127/

Cheers.

Richard
The clock cables will connect between the Terminator Plus and the Gaia, but not to the streamer. I’m hoping there is some gain in SQ with those two components synced. I’ve found cables to make some substantial differences, but I’m new to i2s and not sure how sensitive that connection is to cables. Same with the clock. I’m assuming they’re pretty important since the AES cable, also digital, made a distinct difference.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #23 of 248
The clock cables will connect between the Terminator Plus and the Gaia, but not to the streamer. I’m hoping there is some gain in SQ with those two components synced. I’ve found cables to make some substantial differences, but I’m new to i2s and not sure how sensitive that connection is to cables. Same with the clock. I’m assuming they’re pretty important since the AES cable, also digital, made a distinct difference.

Hi John,

Just read up on Auralic Aries G2 with Femto clock and seems with usb output needed for hires dsd output which AES cannot do at higher 128/256/512khz and native ... guess not into dsd playback since only using AES ?

Indeed it will be interesting to have Auralic Aries G2's AES to GAIA and synced to ocxo clocked Terminator Plus with i2s output of GAIA to Terminator Plus to compare direct connections via AES or usb of Auralic Aries G2 ... looking forward to your finding at least in your system since I will have same consideration when I set up the received Antipodes EX. I get a bit of reprise with the current NuPrime Omnia S1 Server with i2s directly to previous standard Terminator and now Terminator Plus which betters the Allo's USB Bridge Signature on media playback that is relegated to superior internet radio stations via Moode OS somehow.

I2S is certainly sensitive to cables especially I keep to shortest possible which is 0.5m since it is afterall a pcba's copper level connection unlike digital spdif via BNC, AES, coaxial or optical via various additional conversion electronics of transformer, electrical-optical etc. on both sending and receiving units that is surely nice to avoid .. I will go i2S whenever possible and there is an obvious improvement. Still the difference from what I had experienced is no where near the difference in analogy balanced or single ended interconnects.

For the clock cable, I believe that the difference is insignificant to avoid big $ to be spent .. it is not audio signal but only clock signal. Hence I follow pro audio use of no-nonsense Apogee and Canare which is what any source was mixed with at the recording studios in the first place as well as avoid any diy cables since it seems matching impedence and hence termination is top priority.

Cheers

Richard
Screenshot_20200706-143948_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #24 of 248
I can confirm that a good clock cable makes a world of a difference, in fact, it’s as good as a power cord upgrade, in my case even more. I was using a generic Canare cable for my master clock till my 75 ohm Tellurium Silver Diamonds and soTm 50ohm cable arrived. It was a no contest.

Huge difference, so, invest in some good quality cables if u really want to reap the max from your setup. There is a reason why good quality cables exist, but unfortunately quality comes at a premium price for sure.

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #25 of 248
I can confirm that a good clock cable makes a world of a difference, in fact, it’s as good as a power cord upgrade, in my case even more. I was using a generic Canare cable for my master clock till my 75 ohm Tellurium Silver Diamonds and soTm 50ohm cable arrived. It was a no contest.

Huge difference, so, invest in some good quality cables if u really want to reap the max from your setup. There is a reason why good quality cables exist, but unfortunately quality comes at a premium price for sure.

Hi Sage,

Thanks for the sharing .. apogee wide eye used by recording studios (also dCS Program manager for streaming products) as well as recommended Canare model# D5.5UHDC01E from below threads suffice for me at this juncture:

https://dcs.community/t/word-clock-cables-what-length/408

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31857-mutec-ref-10-masterclock/page/24/

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=114195

I am one to spend on hardware and technology first for bigger jump in sound quality before anything major on cabling especially digital ones for clock and have to follow 20% max rule on cablings expenses .... limited funds planned for some other hardware, namely the not inexpensive Antipodes CX to go with the received EX.

Perhaps someday I will get recommended ones to try but priority will still be i2s RJ45 ethernet cable with audio signal.

Thanks again and cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20200706-214254_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200706-202724_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #26 of 248

Hi Sage,

Gbp1.2k/m for the Tellurium Silver diamond that you are using as clock cable with your new usd1.5k Denafrips gaia ddc ? Seems a bit too much for me.

This further reinforce point in my earlier posts on the usd2k difference on hardware and technology upgrade from standard Denafrips Terminator to the Plus version vs cablings, power supply etc.

Even Sotm 50 ohm bnc as clock cable is usd700 which is beyond me :frowning2:

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20200706-221632_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200706-221735_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #27 of 248
The Terminator Plus and the Gaia are amazing together. Anyone deciding on an i2s cable should strongly consider the Tubulus Argentus. It’s still early, but I think the Wireworld platinum HDMI is going back. USB is much more holographic than AES into the Gaia, but this could be Aries G2 performing better via USB out (though Auralic says the AES is best). I’m excited to let everything continue to settle in, but I couldn’t happier with the Terminator Plus and Gaia combo. Smooth, detailed, engaging, limitless soundstage...

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #28 of 248
The Terminator Plus and the Gaia are amazing together. Anyone deciding on an i2s cable should strongly consider the Tubulus Argentus. It’s still early, but I think the Wireworld platinum HDMI is going back. USB is much more holographic than AES into the Gaia, but this could be Aries G2 performing better via USB out (though Auralic says the AES is best). I’m excited to let everything continue to settle in, but I couldn’t happier with the Terminator Plus and Gaia combo. Smooth, detailed, engaging, limitless soundstage...

Can't wait to join you. My Gaia finally shipped (I got stuck in the backlog while the Gaia case supplier was delayed) and should be here any day now. My Terminator is now gone so I will be using my Gaia with my Chord Qutest until my Terminator Plus ships.

It could be another month before the Terminator Plus arrives based on the shipping time shown on Vinshine's website, but all good things take time.

I will be using USB input to the Gaia (Sablon 2020 usb), i2s via RJ45 (Sablon 2020 ethernet) out from the Gaia to the Terminator Plus. For the clock connection, I have a couple Kimber Kable D60 with bnc terminations.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #29 of 248
Can't wait to join you. My Gaia finally shipped (I got stuck in the backlog while the Gaia case supplier was delayed) and should be here any day now. My Terminator is now gone so I will be using my Gaia with my Chord Qutest until my Terminator Plus ships.

It could be another month before the Terminator Plus arrives based on the shipping time shown on Vinshine's website, but all good things take time.

I will be using USB input to the Gaia (Sablon 2020 usb), i2s via RJ45 (Sablon 2020 ethernet) out from the Gaia to the Terminator Plus. For the clock connection, I have a couple Kimber Kable D60 with bnc terminations.
Nice choice of cables there Blake, I was using Sablon too till I went with the Tellurium. They operate at a much higher level than the cost. As for the clocks, https://audiobacon.net/2018/08/11/the-audiophiles-short-list-the-best-digital-coaxial-cables/ have a read. I went with the soTm BNC for my 50ohm as Tellurium do not make them.

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #30 of 248
Hi John,
Thank you for re-confrming my hard on with the Tubulus Argentus. They sure do look well made and the maker was reviewed very favourably at Mono and Stereo. Their quality should also be very high as Argentina make some of the best steel plates. They have alot of silver there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back