Old "King" of R2R DAC Is Dead? Denafrips Terminator-Plus / Terminator+ Arrives
Dec 13, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #166 of 248
Screenshot 2021-12-13 at 08.34.01.png
Looking at manual to Gaia and T+. Found out details about Clock out on T+. Is that means if I go with i2s rj45 connection between G and T+ I clock synchronisation won't work?

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #167 of 248
Looking at manual to Gaia and T+. Found out details about Clock out on T+. Is that means if I go with i2s rj45 connection between G and T+ I clock synchronisation won't work?
It should work with both hdmi / rj45. What made you think it wont work with rj45?

The section you quoted is to setup different clock out configurations. The I2S / Coax / AES1 referred in the manual are just indication of the selected clock out mode. It dosn’t mean if you choose “i2s” as the DAC input, clock out will be disabled.

BTW, if you use rj45 it’s more difficult to fine good quality audio cable. With hdmi, you have more choices. Tubulus offers both hdmi/rj45 but based on my research I read somewhere that hdmi offers better sound quality (dont quote me on this I cant remember where I got this from).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #168 of 248
Screenshot 2021-12-13 at 08.51.57.png

It should work with both hdmi / rj45. What made you think it wont work with rj45?
Hey, please pay attention - I2S-A (according manual A it's HDMI input on T+) clock out is DISABLE.... I might be wrong looks like HDMI is not works with clocks but rj45 works... ?
BTW, if you use rj45 it’s more difficult to fine good quality audio cable. With hdmi, you have more choices.
I've bought RAL i2s cable so will see how it performs and then I can try Tubulus...

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #169 of 248
Hey, please pay attention - I2S-A (according manual A it's HDMI input on T+) clock out is DISABLE.... I might be wrong looks like HDMI is not works with clocks but rj45 works... ?

I've bought RAL i2s cable so will see how it performs and then I can try Tubulus...
As said in my last post above, I2S A/B/C works fine with clock out. I myself am using the I2S-A with clock out now and it works great!

When you get the unit and watch setup video you will have clearer understanding but for now you can relax as I’m sure it should work fine.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #170 of 248
As said in my last post above, I2S A/B/C works fine with clock out. I myself am using the I2S-A with clock out now and it works great!

When you get the unit and watch setup video you will have clearer understanding but for now you can relax as I’m sure it should work fine.
That's really great! Yes I also hope it will work.

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #171 of 248
hi guys,
I spent last weeks choosing dac instead Exogal comet. Amp is AGD he9 and phones lcd-4.
Just curious how is T+ low end in compare with my dac or AGD r7he, holo may l2? It's a lot of reviews but no one listened heavy music at test... as soon as genre is 90% of my library I'm worry it won't be enough of weight, attack, and meaty sound.. that what often written in reviews. I'm going connect to ultrarendu via usb. Just don't want to go with Gaia and aes/ebu...
I appreciate if someone can describe how heavy metal/metal sounds on T+...
The T+ is a far superior DAC to the AGD R7HE, although once you add the DI20HE it's about on pair with T+ with Gaia. The main difference is the forwardness of the Denafrips sound while AGD is a lot more laidback, bass is definitely better defined on the T+ although with the latest firmware the R7HE went up a notch and based on my (probably inaccurate) acoustic memory it would probably not have much difference in overall refinement, it depends on the type of sound you enjoy. I don't listen to heavy metal though and I'd imagine you won't want it laidback sounding :)

Your AGD HE9 will be limiting the performance of your T+ whether you use with your headphones or a pair of speakers. For speakers get a good pre (like the HE1, AGD still makes them better than Denafrips) with a Denafrips Apollo as power amp. For headphones it's a tough one, if you had bought the R7HE I'd say HE9 is great because of the transparency offered by ACSS, I think there are better headphone amps out there that perform better over XLR than HE9, Violectric comes to mind.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #172 of 248
The T+ is a far superior DAC to the AGD R7HE, although once you add the DI20HE it's about on pair with T+ with Gaia. The main difference is the forwardness of the Denafrips sound while AGD is a lot more laidback
I don't think the Terminator Plus on its own is necessarily a forward-sounding DAC, at least in my experience. I do think the Gaia/T+ combination is more forward-sounding.

In my case, I found using the Gaia between my music server and the T+ focused the sound (as well as the forwardness) of the DAC. Now I use a server/endpoint combination and prefer the galvanically-isolated I2S output of my endpoint direct to the T+, which to me has more of a laid-back sound than using the Gaia/T+ combination.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #174 of 248
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #176 of 248
Hmmmm.... Not really an answer to what I asked. I prefer opinions from users than the vendor :wink:
Oh sorry I quoted a wrong post. My intent was to reply to skylinekursk, relating to setup instruction.

For your question, I havent heard the T1,T2 or even TP and I had to buy the TP blind, so I cant comment on this subject.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #178 of 248
Ok now your answer makes sense. :relaxed:
I highly recommend you listen before you buy. In my case I cant say that I like the TP… in fact I’m looking to sell it or trade it with Holo May KTE.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #179 of 248
In fact I had the terminator I and sold it.
Before selling it I did some tests with a Topping D10 xlr and honestly I couldn't tell the difference. It was so close. Maybe the D10 was a bit more ear fatigue inducing but I really couldn't tell for sure.
So considering that the terminator is bulky and has a lot of components (which means more possibility of failure in the future) I sold the terminator...

I wouldn't consider a R2R achitecture anymore. I think it is more difficult to implement properly and thus it costs more money for the same result.

It was not a bad machine at all but I thought my money was better invested elsewhere.

I was just curious if the improvements made for TII and T+ are audible to humans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back