Old Fart asks - where's the new King Crimson?
Feb 7, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #93 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and major props for trying to find new music. Most your age aren't willing to search for good music anymore.

Yes, searching for good music. It's great for anyone to look for something that's outside of what they're accustomed to, or grew up with.

But my question is, how much effort should one invest in finding (chronologically) new material of questionable quality, when there is so much (unfamiliarly) new material of unquestionable quality, from decades past?

How much time should one spend trying to appreciate Modest Mouse, when they've barely scraped the surface on Miles or Monk or Mussorgsky?

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #94 of 107
I'm 61 tomorrow and it is hard to find new music that we can relate to. I just found Nickleback and OAR. Of course I like Akon too so I guess that proves you are only as old as you feel. I love the new Eagles Album and Norah Jones and Dianna Krall, Fourplay, Spyro Gyra and the Gaither Vocal Band has voices that are just mezmerizing. Oh well, "Happy birthday To Me" on my 50th post. LOL

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #95 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Norah Jones

hey there, Eagle Eye. If you like Norah Jones, then I recommend you try out some solo albums from Jim Campilongo. If you've listened to the "Little Willies" album, then you've already hear Campilongo's guitar work. But his solo albums are insanely good .. he is the absolute master of the Telecaster.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #96 of 107
You've GOT to check out Buckethead... I really like Population Override (More bluesy and seems to be a more equal spread of Dickerson on keyboard and Brain on drums than just Buckethead jamming) and in that same vein, Dragons of Eden which again is more of an ensemble of Dickerson, Brain, and a talented violinist whose name escapes me. For his more solo stuff, the first 6 songs of Monsters and Robots are close to perfection. His more "mainstream" or traditionally albums are Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot and Albino Slug, which are unbelievable... Sail On Soothsayer from Decoding the Tomb brings a tear to my eye when I hear it.

Check out some of David Byrne and Brian Eno's work. Particularly, Everything that Happens will Happen Today and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts... not sure if they've released anything else together. Cool world beats with Byrne's unbelievable voice on ETHWHT.

If you're interested in rap/hip-hop at all, Cannibal Ox (particularly The Cold Vein) and Madvillain are the top 2 modern acts as far as I'm concerned. And here's where I'll quit rambling.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #98 of 107
LingLing, I enjoy Buckethead but generally for one purpose - I use Buckethead during exercise to keep my ***** moving when I'd rather quit.

As for Byrne & Eno, yeah I've got "My Life In The Bush of Ghosts." Also mentioned earlier in the thread was Byne's "The Catherine Wheel", which incidentally came out the same year(1981) and has a similar feel to it - but even more frenetic. I haven't listened to "Everything That Happens ..." yet.

chadbang, I will definitely check out Robert Wyatt.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #99 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've GOT to check out Buckethead... I really like Population Override (More bluesy and seems to be a more equal spread of Dickerson on keyboard and Brain on drums than just Buckethead jamming) and in that same vein, Dragons of Eden which again is more of an ensemble of Dickerson, Brain, and a talented violinist whose name escapes me. For his more solo stuff, the first 6 songs of Monsters and Robots are close to perfection. His more "mainstream" or traditionally albums are Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot and Albino Slug, which are unbelievable... Sail On Soothsayer from Decoding the Tomb brings a tear to my eye when I hear it.

Check out some of David Byrne and Brian Eno's work. Particularly, Everything that Happens will Happen Today and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts... not sure if they've released anything else together. Cool world beats with Byrne's unbelievable voice on ETHWHT.

If you're interested in rap/hip-hop at all, Cannibal Ox (particularly The Cold Vein) and Madvillain are the top 2 modern acts as far as I'm concerned. And here's where I'll quit rambling.

Big B is my favorite artist by far. the guy is just amazing in his playing and songwriting. Someone in this thread mentioned Porcupine Tree and since I had never even heard of them, I checked out a few tunes. All I can say is WOW!

And WOW again! These guys are freaking A-MAZING! I just ordered 5 of theird CD's in fact. If you like King Crimson or ELP or progressive rock, you MUST give these guys a listen.

I'm blown away! I now have 5 CD's of new and amazing material on the way. So far one of my favorite tracks is " She's Moved on". But so far 90% of what I have heard blows me away. GO WHEN NOW!
L3000.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #100 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Age is not the issue...

Me: Want to listen to something different?
Son (20): What?
Me: King Crimson
Son: No.
Me: Why not?
Son: I don't like it.
Me: How do you know?
Son: I've never heard it so it must not be any good.

:facepalm:

Brilliant - so true!
Similar experience with my 15-year-old daughter, who once asked "If King Crimson are so good, how come no one's heard of them?"

I'm surprised no-one here's mentioned KC's Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973), the only album to feature Jamie Muir (and Bill Bruford for the first time, latr stating he'd learned a lot from Muir) -- to me a masterpiece, and a key KC/ Rock/ Music album - The Talking Drum being my favourite track.

Also, the KC Live double-CD The Nightwatch ,recorded in Amsterdam in October 1973, is one of the best EVER live recordings I've ever listened to by any band - released nearly 25 years after the event in 1997.

On a side note, KC was a 100% British band for their first 7 studio albums (1969-1974 - 5 years), then having a mixture of GB/US musicians for their next 6 albums (1981-2003 - 22 years!) - Robert Fripp (English) being the only musician to have been a member of all KC line-ups.

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #101 of 107
Check out a band called "Black Bonzo", they've released a couple of album, it's not KC, but more a mix of Jethro Tull and Uriah Heep, quite oldschool sounding hard/prog rock however...one of the few new bands who try to carry on the tradition of the true masters of the 70's...

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #102 of 107
I am an old fart as well and I have found that the music of today can not compare with the music created during our youth. The 1960s to early 1970s was the greatest period of great music in history; even in genres other than rock. I find it very difficult to find music of that quality today. As a result of this lack, " I picked up my guitar and started to play" as they say. There is only a limited to how much dissatisfaction we can have before we should say " let me show you how it's done." This is especially true now that we are on the verge of retirement and are looking for activities to keep busy. Just our wealth of musical experience is enough to counteract our lack of formal musicianship. Just get out there! " Where not going to take it." Just start your own music scene. Be active not passive. No offense intended. Scottsmrnyc

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #103 of 107
If I may also suggest that as a listener, you should move away from the corporately controlled world of todays music and explore other genres; such as orchestral. avant garde, minimalism, cross cultural, cross historical, mixed genre etc. Although these genres are not very popular, they will supply the listener with more intellectually stimulating music and better musical/visual imagery. Scottsmrnyc

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #104 of 107
I love a lot of recent music. I think there's no shortage of innovation and creativeness (and progressiveness
tongue_smile.gif
) in modern music, but most of it is considerably heavier than King Crimson from what I can tell. Bands like Tool, Dead Soul Tribe, Porcupine Tree and The Mars Volta are all wonderful examples of music as an art, in my opinion. You'd have to be able to appreciate the added heaviness, though, they definitely don't sound similar to King Crimson (save for maybe Porcupine Tree). Also, they're not as progressive but I'd say Radiohead is also a shining example of how good modern music can be.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #105 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love a lot of recent music. I think there's no shortage of innovation and creativeness (and progressiveness
tongue_smile.gif
) in modern music, but most of it is considerably heavier than King Crimson from what I can tell. Bands like Tool, Dead Soul Tribe, Porcupine Tree and The Mars Volta are all wonderful examples of music as an art, in my opinion. You'd have to be able to appreciate the added heaviness, though, they definitely don't sound similar to King Crimson (save for maybe Porcupine Tree). Also, they're not as progressive but I'd say Radiohead is also a shining example of how good modern music can be.

I agree that Tool, Radiohead & Porcupine Tree are great bands, with excellent compositional skills and musicianship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back