Old Fart asks - where's the new King Crimson?
Jan 15, 2009 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 107

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
I'm 41 years old and at risk of sounding just like my dad from 25 years ago ... What is this crap they call music today???
biggrin.gif
OK, I know there's gotta be some geniuses making music, but its helps a lot to be young and surrounded by people with some actual TASTE to know what's out there. Once you're married, have a few kids, and work with people who think American Idol is damned good stuff, you lose touch like it or not.

I listen to Floyd (especially pre-Darkside, you should see my ROIO collection), King Crimson, Steely Dan, Zappa, Beefheart, Supertramp, Stones, Rush, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, and etc. .... basically the kind of music you were likely to hear in the 70's and 80's at college parties where bongs were in use.

So, what new stuff is out there for a guy like me? I'm open to good, but not mainstream music, and as you can see I'm not interested in Britney's latest. I did discover The Mars Volta's album "De-Loused in the Comatorium" ... fantastic. Their other albums, not so much. But maybe that gives you some idea of what does work for me.

I'd appreciate suggestions. No promises I'll like any of it, but I always give music a fair shot. Ya gotta admit though, there was something special going on between '55 and '75, and we're not likely to see the like again. [/uncle rico mode]

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 107
I'm an old timer, too. Yeah, it's hard finding new music that turns you on. Don't be embarassed about being stuck in the 60s, 70s, 80s (well, a little of the 80s) because those were great years. I can't stand metal, techno or most trance and ambient, so it's really hard. Sounds like you have slightly avant-garde tastes. Of what I've discovered on the strange side, I'd say Primus (I guess they're hardly new). I liked "Pork Soda" a lot. Tremendous musicianship and very... weird. "Pixies Live at the BBC" was really a good recent find for me too. I like that live album MUCH more than the studio ones I later picked up. Nine Inch Nails "The Fragile" is a sonic landscape you won't soon forget . Once you get past one or two hardcore/obligatory screamers -- It's practically a masterpiece. Very experimental. Another masterpiece for me is "In an Aeroplane over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel. An modern concept album that - listened to in its entirely - is profoundly creative and moving. I guess the one band I really clicked with in the 90s was Cake, but they're not really avant-garde, just great, funny pop-rock. Yeah, it's really hard. 95 percent of what's been recommended to me at head-fi over the last 8 years, I haven't like. Mainly because most people seem metal-oriented these days. Now I just try and hunt down classics I haven't heard. Just listened to "The Roxy and Elsewhere" by Zappa tonight. Jesus, what an amazing album. To help you, I've I just scrolled through my ipod. And to most kids here, my music is covered with spiderwebs.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 107
The King Crimson 5.1 surround remixes are being done by none other than Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree, Apparently they were having trouble finding original master tape of "21st Century Schizoid Man" for awhile...

There are threads on some other forums, for instance:

Possible King Crimson in surround - Page 2 - AVS Forum

" 12-20-08, 09:41 PM #40 | Link
konoyaro
Ton und Anblick

Posts: 179 Robert Fripp's latest diary entry (Dec. 2nd 2008) has another teaser about "In the Court..." and a 5.1 mix:

"News from David: the unmarked 8-track mystery tape in the DGM archives is the original master of Schizoid Man. The implication: a 5.1 mix of ITCOTCK is now feasible."

konoyaro
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by konoyaro
View User's Ads

01-08-09, 11:32 PM #41 | Link
nasgul

Posts: 33 According to the brand new Sound & Vision magazine I got today, this IS definitely going to happen with surround sound guru and Porcupine Tree founder/guitarist/singer Steve Wilson at the mixing helm for every KC album. This March (not long from now), both the classic albums Red and Lizard will be released in 5.1 DVD-A. The plan is to issue 2 album titles each year for the next year or so, with ITCOTCK coming out this October. The writer, Ken Richardson, states he has heard the new surround mixes for Red and Lizard and we won't be disappointed. SWEET! "

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 107
Thx everyone for the recommendations, and keep 'em coming.

chadbang, yeah I know Primus. I was still single when they came along. I've got Pork Soda and 'Sailing the Seas of Cheese', both great albums. I have a few Primus SBD ROIO's too, and they're even better although obviously not of the same SQ.

oh and chadbang, if you don't have Zappa/Beefheart's "Bongo Fury" you should get it if you liked "Roxy and Elsewhere"

Porcupine Tree & dredg are both 'never heard of's' for me, so I'll be giving them both a try and look forward to it. The NIN recommendation, as well as milkweg's suggestion of System of a Down and others I assume are in the same vein I'll give an honest shot. Never heard of Agalloch. But I have had some exposure to these bands (NIN, SOAD) because I've got a 16yo kid, and I dunno ... maybe. Whether its fair or not, I put NIN, SOAD, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, STP and others in the same big kettle. I'll try "The Fragile" out and see how I digest it.

edit: rlmacklin, thx for the heads-up about upcoming KC remixes. that's great news.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 107
Yeah, chances are you're going to like some of the same music your kid likes. That's bound to be weird, but no doubt you were once 16 as well.

Of the bands you mentioned above, NIN (and arguably Pearl Jam) has had the most staying power. NIN's been making really good music for about 20 years now, and they're certainly worth a shot.

While I doubt fatherhood has tilted your musical tastes to the harder side, I think any fan of King Crimson should really hear Mastodon. Try either "Leviathan" or "Blood Mountain". Fun, crazy stuff.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, chances are you're going to like some of the same music your kid likes. That's bound to be weird, but no doubt you were once 16 as well.

Yeah that's interesting huh? I wonder if it is the music that is truly bad, or that the older folk is in denial of a generation gap... seems all music a 16 yr old listens to in any generation is crap! haha

BTW I do like American Idol. It's funny at the beginning with all the chumps but in the end those guys can really sing!

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 107
Because the whole music industry is different than it was 30 years ago. It's all about the quick hit and there is little radio or other promotional exposure for deeper, more complex type of music. Bands can't make a decent living making that kind of music. It's a shame.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 107
Man, making that kind of music is the only way most bands can make a living. It won't make anyone a superstar, to be sure, but a strong fanbase and steady, profitable touring is how you make minimum wage in the music business.

Lots of acts that pay out big for radio exposure and other "scorched earth" promotion are finding they threw their money at nothing. Bands with a targeted style, an underground promotional method, and enough folks to fill out a small venue anywhere in the country are the ones winning today.

Basically, now is a good time to be making good music and spending a minimum outlay on promotion. Good music promotes itself.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 41 years old and at risk of sounding just like my dad from 25 years ago ... What is this crap they call music today???
biggrin.gif
OK, I know there's gotta be some geniuses making music, but its helps a lot to be young and surrounded by people with some actual TASTE to know what's out there. Once you're married, have a few kids, and work with people who think American Idol is damned good stuff, you lose touch like it or not.

I listen to Floyd (especially pre-Darkside, you should see my ROIO collection), King Crimson, Steely Dan, Zappa, Beefheart, Supertramp, Stones, Rush, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, and etc. .... basically the kind of music you were likely to hear in the 70's and 80's at college parties where bongs were in use.

So, what new stuff is out there for a guy like me? I'm open to good, but not mainstream music, and as you can see I'm not interested in Britney's latest. I did discover The Mars Volta's album "De-Loused in the Comatorium" ... fantastic. Their other albums, not so much. But maybe that gives you some idea of what does work for me.

I'd appreciate suggestions. No promises I'll like any of it, but I always give music a fair shot. Ya gotta admit though, there was something special going on between '55 and '75, and we're not likely to see the like again. [/uncle rico mode]

At the risk of sounding real old (58) I have a tendency to think also it was a unusually great era for music. One always has to wonder if it always feels that way in retrospect to any age group.

Memories all too often are of importance to the music of an era.
I almost wish I could add to thread replies to include age of responder to thread. That would give me a real idea of someone who also might be 58 liking some music from todayss era. I would be more inclined to purchase on recommendation.

John Mayer is huge on my list of current musical talent, as well as Amy Winehouse (personal life aside). I also like some of System of a Down (not all).

This should make for a good thread.
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back