Old Fart asks - where's the new King Crimson?
Jan 30, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #61 of 107
Unfortunately, Morphine isn't a current band. It's a shame because I'd love to see them. I stumbled over them when I checked out an opera from the library and put their Morphine CD in the opera's jewel case. A very pleasant discovery.

Porcupine Tree is the only group I've bought recently that sounds even remotely like King Crimson. But there's no shortage of music coming out that I like. It's just that not much of it is prog rock or super group rock. I really got turned off by the lousy super groups in the 80s anyway, like Asia

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #63 of 107
U2 wasn't a super group. By super group, I mean a group of already famous and popular musicians who got together and formed a new group. In the early 70s (a little before my time), there were some great ones, especially with Clapton. RTF was another good one from that time that's been mentioned in this thread.

By the 80s, they tended to be bad, like Asia. My friends and I were at a Stanley Clark / George Duke concert when they announced that tickets for Asia were going on sale the next week, and who was in the band. This was 2 or 3 months before their first album. We ended up with the entire first 2 rows because they weren't being hyped yet. Then the album came out
frown.gif
Half of my friends came to the concert with Asia Sucks t-shirts. The concert was even worse than the album.

BTW, I've never liked U2 enough to pay full price for an album. I have 4 or 5 CDs that are all thrift store purchases. I saw them in 83 at a festival before they became huge and they didn't leave much of an impression, although they may have been the band on stage when I had some mild heat stroke
tongue.gif
They're the only band I didn't remember that played the day I went to the festival. I only realized they had played when I googled the festival last year because of another thread.

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #64 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean you hate U2 even? Asia I can understand and I disliked Def Leppard too but U2 was in a league of their own.

Asia absolutely sucked (and still do.) GTR sucked, also.
U2 has some good albums (particularly The Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire), but they also have some truly godawful ones (especially Pop.) Also, some have decent content but sound terrible because of bad mastering (All That You Left Behind.)

Jan 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #65 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ironically, I also listened to King Crimson's "THRAK" for the first time last night. Even though it was released in 1996, i.e. 26 years after the first KC album, it did have that 'knife-edge' at times that "Stupid Dream" was lacking. Not bad for a band full of geezers, but then again not quite cutting the mustard like "In the Wake of Poseidon" or even "Discipline." I'm looking forward to auditioning 'The ConstrucKtion of Light' and 'The Power TO Believe' soon.

Each of those three CDs has great music on it. Unfortunately, they have some pretty lame songs as well (for which I hold Belew 100% responsible!)

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #66 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for which I hold Belew 100% responsible!

no doubt. Have you checked out "B'Boom", the 'official bootleg' of the Argentina concerts in 1994(?). Wow-o-wow-o! There are tunes in that concert from THRAK that didn't much get my attention when I listened to the studio album, but played live they're just on fire!

the sound is not the best for a commercially released live album (mildly saturated), but B'Boom is currently at the top of my list of recent pleasant surprises.

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #67 of 107
I listen to a lot of the stuff you mention: Steely Dan, Rush, Stones, and recently discovered King Crimson (absolutely amazing stuff, "In The Court Of The Crimson King" from 69 is superb in every way).

You might like The Who and Pearl Jam.

Most of the new bands lack originality, what are they trying to achieve with the albums. Some of them make a few great songs, but the albums have no direction.

Some of it of it is straight up boring, porcupine tree just plain mellow, then of course there is NIN always around to turn half baked ideas into 10 track albums with songs labeled 1 - 1,000,000....

And by the way you do not have to be and old fart to ask the question, I am 20 years old in the same boat as you.

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #68 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U2 wasn't a super group. By super group, I mean a group of already famous and popular musicians who got together and formed a new group. In the early 70s (a little before my time), there were some great ones, especially with Clapton.

I completely agree with you when it comes to U2 and Clapton.

Clapton is incredible, most of the Cream stuff just blows me away, I still remember the first time I heard "White Room".

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #69 of 107
OK, got it. You meant super groups like Bad Company. Super Groups are ok but I prefer up and coming groups because they tend play with their heart more and not $$$ in their eyes. I saw U2 before they were really famous too when they did the War tour and they impressed me. Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire are two of the finest albums ever created. The likes of Eno and Daniel Lanois do not work with crap bands.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #70 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asia absolutely sucked (and still do.) GTR sucked, also.
U2 has some good albums (particularly The Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire), but they also have some truly godawful ones (especially Pop.) Also, some have decent content but sound terrible because of bad mastering (All That You Left Behind.)

Every group has good/bad. If you were to listen to the complete works of any group you will find plenty of crap in there. That includes Hendrix and The Beatles too. It's like photographers, you only show your best work because if you show everything then people might think you are a crap photographer. Plenty of people liked U2's POP album so your opinion is purely subjective. I'm partial to everything they did up to the Joshua Tree though. Every album was good in that time period.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #71 of 107
Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire are just about the only 2 I don't have because all of my U2 purchases are $2 thrift store CDs and people

I think you hit the nail on the head about super groups vs up and coming bands and Asia is the prime example. The bands the members came from had either gone down hill (ELP and Yes) or, I believe, disbanded (King Crimson). I'm not sure if they got together in hopes the creative juices would start flowing again or just to make money. I can understand the desire to cash in on their fame, but it's a disappointment to fans that they didn't live up to their potential.

Other than Steve Howe, I don't know if any of them have done much since. I saw Howe playing solo acoustic on a local TV station and it was great.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #72 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I've just ordered "In the Court..." and "Discipline" from Amazon. Gives me another reason to go visit my friend Matt (NightWoundsTime) in Tampa.

Do yourself a favor and get "Red" as well. The HDCD version is quite nice. Bruford is soooo good on this.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #73 of 107
Have a look at The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath or Frances the Mute.
I also like Joanna Newsom,Primus,NIN but they dont sound like King Crimson sure.
By the way,I really cant understand what is so special with Porcupine Tree.It is quite weird for me this band is so popular nowadays.I am not saying they make bad music but nothing special either.May be this is the reason.Hmm..

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #74 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire are just about the only 2 I don't have because all of my U2 purchases are $2 thrift store CDs and people

Ah, you need to get those too then. If I could only own two U2 albums it would be those two.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #75 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a look at The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath or Frances the Mute.
I also like Joanna Newsom,Primus,NIN but they dont sound like King Crimson sure.
By the way,I really cant understand what is so special with Porcupine Tree.It is quite weird for me this band is so popular nowadays.I am not saying they make bad music but nothing special either.May be this is the reason.Hmm..

Some of their stuff is great, but they also seem to release a lot of b-side type stuff as albums, the kind of thing that die hard fans gobble up but which isn't as approachable or polished. In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet are usually considered the stuff to judge them by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back