Okto dac8 Stereo Thread
Nov 23, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #62 of 66
Is anyone able to provide a comparison of the RME ADI 2 DAC FS against this Okto dac8?
The actually sound the same. You would just need to compare the features. And by the way, Okto dac8 measures better. But of course, nothing to do with sound quality. And Okta dac8 thread is not active aparently.

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #63 of 66
Is anyone able to provide a comparison of the RME ADI 2 DAC FS against this Okto dac8?
I owned both of them. Nothing much to say, I changed my RME for an Okto. My RME was an AKM version. Its only flaws were the lack of AES/EBU and its complexity.
My Okto came with the streaming option and I enjoyed it for 2 years before moving to a Holo/Lumin set with a four higher price.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #64 of 66
Reviving this thread as a new owner of this fabulous DAC. A recent move from the US to the EU led to a revamp of my home system. I formerly owned the Matrix Audio x sabre pro, a yggy A2, Morpheus, Lumin T2 and the Okto Dac 8 Stereo can hang with these and then some. Qualitatively I'd put these up against this with any of my former units.

Still figuring out the loading of the raspberry pi and need to sort the new headphone amp as well. The internal HP out is quite good with the HE1KSE and LCD5.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #65 of 66
Got Ropieee working on the internal Raspberry Pi and wow what a game changing dac for me. Bass resolution is best in class and you can tell the pro audio chops from the designers as the resolution, layering and separation are addictive. Tomorrow I get the needed adapter for my HAA Resolute amp to see how the pairing fares.
If you can deal with XLR only then this thing is a no brainer.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #66 of 66
I got my new-to-me DAC8 Stereo late last week from the "bay of fleas." I really never thought I'd find one used in good shape, much less the streaming version. So, I am happily surprised.

Tonight I got the microSD card formatted correctly for the Raspberry Pi and am listening to my collection of PCM & DSD files from my NAS via Volumio - all free. I'm loving it so far. I'm coming from a Cambridge Audio CXN & 851N, Musician Pegasus w/ Pisces DDC, Grace Designs m903 (the Okto is playing through this via XLR ins, but is on the chopping block). Actually, most of these devices will be up for sale soon.

If you're just getting started with the streaming module, check https://www.raspberrypi.com/ for info.

Question: The UI on the Cambridge streaming units is very good, and I appreciate the 'now playing' album artwork right on the front panel. Is there a way to attach an external display to the Okto's internal RPi? If this would compromise the audio, forget it. This info shows up on my phone & tablet, even if I use the Volumio web-based player. They all talk to each other nicely. It would be nice to have that built-in. Perhaps I'll try a secondary display I use with my laptop connected to the USB ports that seem to link straight from/to the RPi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back