Okto dac8 Stereo Thread
Jan 31, 2021 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Roasty

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone here using this yet?

Okto dac8 Stereo
https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8stereo.htm

dac8stereo_front_d.jpg

Just placed an order. Looks pretty and measures well. Apparently it is going to be a long wait before I will receive it..

I like how it can be configured for a built in streamer. Have asked for the Roon endpoint to be loaded into the raspberry pi. Potential downside is it does not have rca outputs.

Screenshot_20210201-092501_Chrome.jpg

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 66
I purchased Dac 8 stereo last August, received mid December. Finally had chance to compare directly to Musetec MH DA005 and indirectly to two former dacs, Auralic Vega and LKS MH DA004. My more in depth comparisons under thread title Four years after the LKS DA004. In short, Okto killer dac at price, may be all the dac one needs.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 66
I’ve had the Okto dac8 Stereo in my system for the past three weeks. Prior dac was an Auralic Altair. To my ears, the Okto easily outclasses the Auralic. It has incredible resolution and is completely transparent. It's also the best measuring dac ASR has tested. At $1500, I can't think of many better values out there right now. It even has an internal Raspberry Pi that is a delight to use with Roon.

If you can stomach the 3-4 month wait, I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed with its performance.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 66
After giving the Okto additional burn-in (40 hours at this point), I wanted to share a more detailed comparison to my previous dac, the Auralic Altair.

My system at present:

MacBook Pro running Roon core > streaming Tidal and CD rips through RAAT > ethernet into Okto > balanced output to Mjolnir Audio KGSSHV > Stax SR-007 MK1

Appearance and general use

The Okto dac8 Stereo has a very minimalist appearance. The enclosure is entirely aluminum, with two front displays on either side of the centrally mounted volume knob. The front plate is available in two colors--black or silver--with the rest of the enclosure in black. The unit is slim at only two inches high. It's also shallow, measuring a little over seven inches deep. Weighing only 10 pounds, the Okto is a lightweight. Sharing the same enclosure as the dac8 Pro--which can be rack mounted--means the stereo version can be used in the same manner. A single 1/4" headphone jack completes the front. A large assortment of digital inputs adorn the rear, including RJ45 ethernet, while two sets of balanced XLR outputs are present. The white-on-black OLED displays--which show volume, input, and bit rate and sample rate--are bright and clearly visible. An Apple Remote can be ordered, and controls the Okto as expected. Cycling through the menu is quick and responsive.

Sound

The Okto dac8 Stereo produced the highest SINAD score ever measured by Audio Science Review. If you are interested in reading details on the measurements, follow this link to the thread at ASR: Okto dac8 Stereo Review

Objective measurements can give insight on how a dac will perform. We don’t listen to graphs, however, and subjective impressions can differ from measurements. R2R dacs, for example, frequently measure poorly compared to delta-sigma dacs. I had been using the Auralic Altair in my system for the previous three months. Its dac section is similar to the more expensive Auralic Vega, and uses an ESS 9018 chip. The Okto utilizes the ESS 9028PRO chip in comparison.

While comparing the two dacs, some volume matching was needed as levels were lower with the Okto in the chain. Interesting, considering both dacs have identical output voltages (my Okto has the standard 4Vrms, while custom voltages can be requested when ordering). The Okto also features seven digital filters. Switching between them made almost no difference. I did note the worst sounding was SRLP (slow roll-off, linear phase) which came across as overly bright. I selected the default FRMP (fast roll-off, minimum phase) filter during the comparison. The Altair was used with its default "Smooth" filter.

After adding the Okto in my system, I first noticed the sound was thinner and brighter. Highs had more sparkle and presence, a welcomed addition in my book as the Stax SR-007 can sound dark in some systems. The Okto has less midrange bloom, which tends to make the Altair sound warmer and more full-bodied. Bass is tighter and punches deeper on the Okto. More extensive listening revealed significantly higher resolution from the Okto. Micro-detailing is fantastic, allowing you to hear right down to the finest nuances. Timbre and dynamics are exemplary, producing a natural quality to the sound. Separation and imaging is better as well, giving greater dimension to the headstage. The Altair tends to impart added warmth, while the Okto presents the music with no coloration. Dead neutral and totally transparent. Nice!

Streaming

The Okto can be ordered with an internally mounted Raspberry Pi, which features both an RJ45 ethernet port and two USB-A inputs for using a WiFi dongle. A jumper is provided that connects one of the Raspberry Pi's USB outputs to one of the Okto's USB inputs. The Altair features Auralic's own Tesla G1 hardware platform--a quad-core processor with native Roon support. To compare with the Altair the Okto’s Raspberry Pi was loaded with RoPieee, which allowed both dacs to operate as Roon endpoints. A Cardas Clear USB cable connected the Altair to the Okto. Direct A-B testing was not seamless, as I had to change the input on the Okto and then select the correct zone in Roon. Performance between the two is very close if not identical. The Okto maybe has a darker background, which translates as slightly higher resolution. A more upscale streamer might yield superior results, but to my ears in my system, there’s virtually no difference between the Okto's Raspberry Pi and the Altair's hardware.

The aspect where the Okto thumps the Altair is in usability. Even with the Okto turned off, its Raspberry Pi remains recognizable in Roon. This allows for almost instant music playback. Simply turn the Okto on with the Apple remote or volume knob, and you’re ready to go. Using the Altair is not as painless. After powering on the unit the display will read “starting…” Unfortunately the Altair will occasionally get stuck in a loop, and this message will display indefinitely. Toggling the power switch on the rear--or even unplugging the power cord altogether--is needed to reset the unit. The Altair also requires manual network configuration, something that can only be done using Auralic's proprietary software, Lightning DS. To add frustration, Lightning DS is only available for iOS devices. I do not have an iPad or iPhone, so to work around this I have to put the Altair into wireless access point mode and load Lightning DS in a web browser. Simply put the Raspberry Pi in the Okto is easier to use, responds quicker, and is more stable.

Final thoughts

Given its SOTA class-leading technical performance, superb sound, and relative low cost ($1500 as tested), I see the Okto as a tremendous value. Production has been quite slow, and lead times are exceeding four months at this point. If you can accept the long wait, you will be rewarded with a fantastic dac. I can’t imagine anyone would dislike the Okto, unless they are looking for a specific sound or coloration from their dac. The Auralic Altair was handily beaten and will be finding a new home. The Okto is here to stay.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 66
@Aurosonic thank you for that review! It makes me even more excited to receive my dac. I ordered late January so not expecting it till maybe April or so..

Have u managed to try out its preamp function? I intend to use it as a dac+pre and then direct to a power amplifier.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 66
Did somebody test the headphone outpout ? It would be interesting to see how it compares to the likes of Hugo 2

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 66
After giving the Okto additional burn-in (40 hours at this point), I wanted to share a more detailed comparison to my previous dac, the Auralic Altair.

My system at present:

MacBook Pro running Roon core > streaming Tidal and CD rips through RAAT > ethernet into Okto > balanced output to Mjolnir Audio KGSSHV > Stax SR-007 MK1

Appearance and general use

The Okto dac8 Stereo has a very minimalist appearance. The enclosure is entirely aluminum, with two front displays on either side of the centrally mounted volume knob. The front plate is available in two colors--black or silver--with the rest of the enclosure in black. The unit is slim at only two inches high. It's also shallow, measuring a little over seven inches deep. Weighing only 10 pounds, the Okto is a lightweight. Sharing the same enclosure as the dac8 Pro--which can be rack mounted--means the stereo version can be used in the same manner. A single 1/4" headphone jack completes the front. A large assortment of digital inputs adorn the rear, including RJ45 ethernet, while two sets of balanced XLR outputs are present. The white-on-black OLED displays--which show volume, input, and bit rate and sample rate--are bright and clearly visible. An Apple Remote can be ordered, and controls the Okto as expected. Cycling through the menu is quick and responsive.

Sound

The Okto dac8 Stereo produced the highest SINAD score ever measured by Audio Science Review. If you are interested in reading details on the measurements, follow this link to the thread at ASR: Okto dac8 Stereo Review

Objective measurements can give insight on how a dac will perform. We don’t listen to graphs, however, and subjective impressions can differ from measurements. R2R dacs, for example, frequently measure poorly compared to delta-sigma dacs. I had been using the Auralic Altair in my system for the previous three months. Its dac section is similar to the more expensive Auralic Vega, and uses an ESS 9018 chip. The Okto utilizes the ESS 9028PRO chip in comparison.

While comparing the two dacs, some volume matching was needed as levels were lower with the Okto in the chain. Interesting, considering both dacs have identical output voltages (my Okto has the standard 4Vrms, while custom voltages can be requested when ordering). The Okto also features seven digital filters. Switching between them made almost no difference. I did note the worst sounding was SRLP (slow roll-off, linear phase) which came across as overly bright. I selected the default FRMP (fast roll-off, minimum phase) filter during the comparison. The Altair was used with its default "Smooth" filter.

After adding the Okto in my system, I first noticed the sound was thinner and brighter. Highs had more sparkle and presence, a welcomed addition in my book as the Stax SR-007 can sound dark in some systems. The Okto has less midrange bloom, which tends to make the Altair sound warmer and more full-bodied. Bass is tighter and punches deeper on the Okto. More extensive listening revealed significantly higher resolution from the Okto. Micro-detailing is fantastic, allowing you to hear right down to the finest nuances. Timbre and dynamics are exemplary, producing a natural quality to the sound. Separation and imaging is better as well, giving greater dimension to the headstage. The Altair tends to impart added warmth, while the Okto presents the music with no coloration. Dead neutral and totally transparent. Nice!

Streaming

The Okto can be ordered with an internally mounted Raspberry Pi, which features both an RJ45 ethernet port and two USB-A inputs for using a WiFi dongle. A jumper is provided that connects one of the Raspberry Pi's USB outputs to one of the Okto's USB inputs. The Altair features Auralic's own Tesla G1 hardware platform--a quad-core processor with native Roon support. To compare with the Altair the Okto’s Raspberry Pi was loaded with RoPieee, which allowed both dacs to operate as Roon endpoints. A Cardas Clear USB cable connected the Altair to the Okto. Direct A-B testing was not seamless, as I had to change the input on the Okto and then select the correct zone in Roon. Performance between the two is very close if not identical. The Okto maybe has a darker background, which translates as slightly higher resolution. A more upscale streamer might yield superior results, but to my ears in my system, there’s virtually no difference between the Okto's Raspberry Pi and the Altair's hardware.

The aspect where the Okto thumps the Altair is in usability. Even with the Okto turned off, its Raspberry Pi remains recognizable in Roon. This allows for almost instant music playback. Simply turn the Okto on with the Apple remote or volume knob, and you’re ready to go. Using the Altair is not as painless. After powering on the unit the display will read “starting…” Unfortunately the Altair will occasionally get stuck in a loop, and this message will display indefinitely. Toggling the power switch on the rear--or even unplugging the power cord altogether--is needed to reset the unit. The Altair also requires manual network configuration, something that can only be done using Auralic's proprietary software, Lightning DS. To add frustration, Lightning DS is only available for iOS devices. I do not have an iPad or iPhone, so to work around this I have to put the Altair into wireless access point mode and load Lightning DS in a web browser. Simply put the Raspberry Pi in the Okto is easier to use, responds quicker, and is more stable.

Final thoughts

Given its SOTA class-leading technical performance, superb sound, and relative low cost ($1500 as tested), I see the Okto as a tremendous value. Production has been quite slow, and lead times are exceeding four months at this point. If you can accept the long wait, you will be rewarded with a fantastic dac. I can’t imagine anyone would dislike the Okto, unless they are looking for a specific sound or coloration from their dac. The Auralic Altair was handily beaten and will be finding a new home. The Okto is here to stay.
Thank you for this great review!

Just for the comparison here is the link of the Stereophile Magazine (very positive) review.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/okto-dac8-stereo-da-processor

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 66
1178€ incl streaming Module.
I'm impressed.

Keep the impressions coming this xould be a perfect one Box solution for the office.

A little Info about the headphone out would be nice

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 66
I just got an email saying my delayed delivery has been delayed another 4 weeks.. Lol.

May 9, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 66
Okto posted this message on their website a couple weeks ago:

"Due to large amount of orders, we have temporarily stopped taking new orders. Thank you for your understanding."

Demand must be quite high. I feel bad for individuals looking to purchase.

May 9, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 66
Early April I got an email saying my unit would be shipped out in 1 to 2 weeks. Checked back in early May and they said it would be shipped out next week. Fingers crossed.. Both for the unit and for sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back