Ok V-Moda it is over.
Nov 6, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #16 of 27
I know about the QVC problem but didn't know they were dropped as the manufacture. I was living in China at the time and found the T25's selling in a local store. I bought a pair for around 12 dollars and liked the sound. I then saw the Vibes and was surprised by what appeared to be the same earphone. I contacted Val and he contacted QVC and that is how it all started. I still have a few sets of the 25's and frankly they have held up well and sound pretty good.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know about the QVC problem but didn't know they were dropped as the manufacture. I was living in China at the time and found the T25's selling in a local store. I bought a pair for around 12 dollars and liked the sound. I then saw the Vibes and was surprised by what appeared to be the same earphone. I contacted Val and he contacted QVC and that is how it all started. I still have a few sets of the 25's and frankly they have held up well and sound pretty good.

That's the problem of OEM: You sent them the design/spec for manufacturing, only later to find out you are competing with your own design. They are not even imitation, but 'clone'.... well, they clone everything anyway, why not headphone, right?
tongue.gif

[EDIT] Just to clear thing up and be fair to OVC - I don't really know who really designed what or who copied what in the OVC vs. V-Moda case, so it is entirely possible OVC didn't do anything wrong (I apologize if any harm is done). This post is meant for a more general setting on the current copycat/cloning trend in the Chinese's' market after I read the September issue of Popular Science's cover story 'Meet the iClone'. Personally, I don't see the big problem with it - Japan did this back in the 60s/70s, now it is China's turn. Product design is usually unprotected (or at least very hard to protect) anyway, anyone who can offer the best cost/performance ratio will eventually wins the market, clone or not.

Just for the extra kick (which is totally off topic): iPhone/iTouch is basically the fruit of a very large Taiwan/China electronic company that has been doing the real R&D behind many of Apple's current products. The whole Motorola V3 series is also R&D by a Chinese company (told to me by a professor who is analyzing Motorola business strategy). This just shows us that things ain't always what they seem to be, and the copycat might actually be the real designer after all.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 27
well, this worries me.

My 2nd pair of Vibes is back in repair.... right canal just stopped....
So I hope I get a new pair, but if that story about OVC is true I hope they sound the same
frown.gif

I was looking at some replacements already, in case it won't work out.
How about the UE Super.fi 5 pro? are they any good?

greetz

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #20 of 27
Updated my previous post to include some relevant information...

Ahhh, how I remember the day when V-mode is still the FOTM...

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #21 of 27
I tested a new model of Ultimate Ears that is very similar to the vibes but seems to be a lot better built. I am not sure when they are coming out but I fell in love with the pre-production models I am using.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 27
yeah, vmoda, skull candy fullmetal jacket & mylar 3 are all made by OVC -
these are cheap chinese OEM headset that any manufacturer can slap their name on -
i'd rather stick to real companies like shure or ultimate ears that develop their own stuff.

Nov 8, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well its Part 2 of this saga. I had my original pair replaced and now after a bit more than a month of use i have gotten the same issue. I babied these more than any other pair of headphones I have owned and still they crap out on me. Guess I'll continue with the hacked Shures until I get another replacement.

did i miss something,what do you mean by hacked shures?? id put shure before v-moda without hesitation, what do u mean by hacked??

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #26 of 27
i have a pair of gunmetal vibes that i got maybe 6-8mos ago, and they've been pretty good to me. i've been careful with mine as well bceause i've heard about the plug fraying from the cable as well as the drivers going out. i'm not quite sure if these are 1st gen or not, but i went ahead and shrinkwrapped the plug/cable to prevent from over-pulling of the cable from the plug. anyway, i hope everything works out for you with finding a replacement. i was looking at the ety er6i's or sure se310's as replacements if these ever die on me; plus i'm looking to get a decent pair of cans for at the house so i lessen my use of the vibes (right now, only using at the office)

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did i miss something,what do you mean by hacked shures?? id put shure before v-moda without hesitation, what do u mean by hacked??

by hacked I mean I modded the plug for my iPhone. I used the v-modas because of the mic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back