OK guys, I'm growing up. I need advice.
Sep 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

GuyWithAniPod

New Head-Fier
I have had Beats by Dre Pro for the last year now, but I am ready to grow up. These have been a pain specifically in terms of being to wear then for long periods of time. I can't wear these for more than like an hour before i become rather uncomfortable. Also, from what I've gathered over the year, I can get better sound for much less than what I paid for mine. Now, I bought the Beats for 200 and I think I can flip them for at least 200 bucks on eBay if not maybe more. Now then, I want to be able to buy a new pair of headphones that sound just as good if not better, and also upgrade my amplifier too. I want your advice. I found these headphones that seem to be better than the Pro's, listed here: http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1GC05RD47FGR9&coliid=I1SAHP0ZBCBSYF 

They seem to be really good. the second this I'm aiming to do is upgrade my amp. Right now I have the e6 and a LOD cable. I do 90% of my listening with my iPod 5.5th Gen. on the go or at home, but its usually in my pocket and need to be portable. If It can hook to a computer that is cool but not required. I see theres the e7, the e11, and the e17.

My budget is the 200-250 that I get from the Beats.

And lat important piece of info is that I like clear crisp music, but like to have nice deep base. I'm somewhat of a bassphilie

THANKS!

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 31
Oh, also, I want the headphones to be just as efficient in noise isolation, but only passive, no active, no batteries for me.

And if the headphones have a removable cord and folding cups like the Beats do that would be cool too but not required.

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 31
Yeah, there are plenty of headphones that don't nead an amp at all, the M-50 being one of them... there are lots of headphones that do need amped to come anywhere close to there potential too though......

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
What do you mean. I'm afraid I'm not very lingo swavy yet.

What lingo are you confused about?

IEMs= In Ear Monitors. Small earbuds that go inside of your ears. 

Honestly I don't think an amp upgrade is going to be necessary in that range(although I'm sure there are exceptions). The headphones you were looking at for example don't even need one. Money would be better spent getting a better quality headphone.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 31
They are nice headphones. If you have $250 to spend, you can get something nicer that will work great out of the E6 that you already have though. :)

Or you could stick with the HFI-580s, and keep the E6, and save ~$100 too :D

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:
Or you could stick with the HFI-580s, and keep the E6, and save ~$100 too
biggrin.gif

With the remaining $100 you can buy another set of headphones. 
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 31
I'd agree with the IEM suggestion. Just seems to be the most logical choice for mobile use. If you want full-size headphones, some assorted models I would look at:

- Sennheiser HD 380Pro
- Creative Aurvana Live!
- M-Audio Q40
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50s or M50sLE (the difference is color, I think LE looks better)

Alternately, I'd save up your pennies and get something that will be a legitimate upgrade, like the Kenwood KH-K1000 (imho the headphone the Beats Pro should have been), Denon AH-D2000 (while you still can), Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 or ATH-A900X (this one is my least favorite, but they are still head and shoulders better; they're also probably the least expensive of these three).

I'd also throw the Koss R/80 in there, and I know you're probably thinking "wow, Beats are really not popular if that's being suggested as an upgrade" - but my reasoning is more "these are *really* good regardless of price."

Of all of the above, if I had to pick, I'd go ESW9 or KH-K1000 (KH-K1000 is going to be better sounding, ESW9 is lighter and more portable). The Denon D2000, CAL!, and HD380 would come in next, and then the R/80. Then all the rest.

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:
I'd agree with the IEM suggestion. Just seems to be the most logical choice for mobile use. If you want full-size headphones, some assorted models I would look at:
- Sennheiser HD 380Pro
- Creative Aurvana Live!
- M-Audio Q40
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50s or M50sLE (the difference is color, I think LE looks better)
Alternately, I'd save up your pennies and get something that will be a legitimate upgrade, like the Kenwood KH-K1000 (imho the headphone the Beats Pro should have been), Denon AH-D2000 (while you still can), Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 or ATH-A900X (this one is my least favorite, but they are still head and shoulders better; they're also probably the least expensive of these three).
I'd also throw the Koss R/80 in there, and I know you're probably thinking "wow, Beats are really not popular if that's being suggested as an upgrade" - but my reasoning is more "these are *really* good regardless of price."
Of all of the above, if I had to pick, I'd go ESW9 or KH-K1000 (KH-K1000 is going to be better sounding, ESW9 is lighter and more portable). The Denon D2000, CAL!, and HD380 would come in next, and then the R/80. Then all the rest.

Wow! Thanks for all the amazing info!

I took a look at those four suggestions, and I like the way all of them except the creative pair look. I would be partial to the Audio-Technica pair however but...

Which of these three can stay on your head for hours without discomfort?

Which have bass on par if not better bass than the Beats WITHOUT sacrificing mids or highs

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back