OK guys, I'm growing up. I need advice.
Sep 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #16 of 31
Check out the Beyerdynamic line. DT 990 Pro is my favorite. However, that is open-back. Still, they have a bunch of closed backs that are very similar. :)

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #18 of 31
They have a very nice amount of bass (both the open and closed back). It's not overwhelming, but rather a perfect amount to make the music enjoyable. Most of their headphones are like this. They also have a lot of detail in the highs and are a little sparkly. For some people, the sparkle is a turn off, but you can always EQ it.

Hope you find the headphones you are looking for :)

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #20 of 31
Wow! Thanks for all the amazing info!

I took a look at those four suggestions, and I like the way all of them except the creative pair look. I would be partial to the Audio-Technica pair however but...

Which of these three can stay on your head for hours without discomfort?

Which have bass on par if not better bass than the Beats WITHOUT sacrificing mids or highs

Thanks in advance for the answers!

All will stay on your head for hours just fine imho. Most will be up to the par with bass (the bass on the Beats Pro really isn't that epic). Personally I don't like how 3D Wing fit me on the A900X, but it might be that my head is mis-shapen. See if Best Buy has some/most of these to try out. :)

You'll also gain soundstaging and a non-congested treble.

I took a look and they look decent, but I think I would need a closed back. I looked at their closed backs, and the are at least something to consider.

Correct, you would need a closed back if you want isolation and minimal leakage.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #21 of 31
OK, I will consider which one of these I like best. I really don't live near a best buy, so that's not really an option. 
dt880smile.png

But all in all ou've given me some great options that look great and seem to sound great according to what I'm hearing, at least for the price.

Last question is of those, which is the most durable and longest lasting. I don't want cheap build quality or materials.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #22 of 31
Most durable? Tough to say. How rough are you on the gear?

I can say the ESW9 are least durable (the wood specifically; otherwise they're solid), I'd probably vote K1000 as most robust overall. They don't fold though, so if you cram them into something, you might have issues. HD380 come with a hardcase and fold, and will probably be best for truly mobile use - just fold them up and put them in their case and take that along. Overall build quality is probably on par or better than the Beats, depending on which one we're talking about (e.g. the ESW9 have genuine leather, Padduak wood, etc and are made in Japan). Something like the HD380 is probably on par, but much less metal; they weigh about half as much in their defense though.

I know I've said it once before, but really the Beats aren't as epic as the company insists - they're very average in the world of higher end headphones. Having said that, I wouldn't nominate any of these (including the Beats) for extreme abuse - if you're dropping these in the bottom of a book bag and throwing things on top of them, I'd get something with a hard-case, or just upgrade straight to a Pelican case for whatever you get.

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #23 of 31
Let's focus on the Audio Technica ATHM50s, since I like how these seem the best. How durable are they. I am only asking because while I take VERY good care of my stuff (the Beats that I have had for about a year now are in EXCELLENT CONDITION, only ONE TINY DENT that was a complete accident) I want to make sure they dont fall apart without reason. Also, I don't think they have a detachable cable, but do they?

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 31
I find the M50s to be very well built / durable. I'm quite confident that they will not simply break for no reason. They do not have a removable cable, however. Just a heads up, the cable is very long on the straight cable version.

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #26 of 31
How do the m50's compare to the M-Audio Studiophile Q40's in terms of build quality and sound? Also, are there any Audio-Technicas that have removable cables that are as nice and affordable as the m50's?

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #29 of 31
Thanks but no thanks. I am looking for over the ear headphones.

On another note, I am reading up on the M50s, and some people say they are a little clamp like, and I was wondering if they have improved that since those reviews or will I have to break them in if and when I get them?

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #30 of 31
Sennheiser HD595 or 598 (595 is very similar but much cheaper and slightly lower build quality)

Ultrasone PRO 750 is amazing and super durable, and all replacable parts (earpads, cable)

Beyerdynamic DT990 32 ohm can be driven from an ipod, 250 wants an amp but can be driven (loudly) from a desktop or substantial laptop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back