OHIO Meeting?Columbus/Cincy/Cleveland
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #136 of 293
Hmmm, that's a haul from Cincinnati :0(
I like road trips as I'm coming from Louisville. I like meeting the members of Head-Fi as you always find something you haven't heard before and also find new music that you haven't heard before always a win win plus everyone I've met so far has just been really good people with the same interest fun times had by all.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #139 of 293
Was the last Columbus meetup a few years back when I went? I know AxelCloris was there as well as a few others at someone's home around Columbus. I could set one up I guess but I've never organized one before so I'm not sure what kinds of things need to be considered besides venue, parking, outlets, etc. I would probably find a public library to rent out some space (although I believe some libraries make it so that it has to be open to the public ... which is fine with me as long as it's fine with others).

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #140 of 293
The last meet I attended at someone's home was at @lord_tris's place ages ago (and I can never say "thank you" enough for all of the fun times that were had at his place). That was around the time the Blue Mo-Fi came out. After that, there was a meet or two at a community library that I attended. Not sure about anything that occurred in Columbus after that, but since I live in Detroit now it's not as quick a drive to Columbus as it was from Cincinnati, so I don't get the chance to make meets in the area as often.

As for what to consider for a meet, the important things are space, furniture, power and cost. Parking yes, but often times less important. You need enough space for those attending, but you don't want it too big or too small. Too small and people feel cramped, too big and you're probably paying too much for the space. There needs to be ample power connections for desktop gear, laptops, chargers, etc. And of course you need table space and chairs for people to sit and demo the larger stuff. Some meets have an admission cost to cover the room, some do auctions and sell off gear donated by attendees and sometimes the organizer just covers the costs out of pocket. When lord_tris had meets at his place some guys would bring food and drinks (that pizza...) and we'd make an entire day of it, but that's not as easy to pull off at public venues.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #141 of 293
The last meet I attended at someone's home was at @lord_tris's place ages ago (and I can never say "thank you" enough for all of the fun times that were had at his place). That was around the time the Blue Mo-Fi came out. After that, there was a meet or two at a community library that I attended. Not sure about anything that occurred in Columbus after that, but since I live in Detroit now it's not as quick a drive to Columbus as it was from Cincinnati, so I don't get the chance to make meets in the area as often.

As for what to consider for a meet, the important things are space, furniture, power and cost. Parking yes, but often times less important. You need enough space for those attending, but you don't want it too big or too small. Too small and people feel cramped, too big and you're probably paying too much for the space. There needs to be ample power connections for desktop gear, laptops, chargers, etc. And of course you need table space and chairs for people to sit and demo the larger stuff. Some meets have an admission cost to cover the room, some do auctions and sell off gear donated by attendees and sometimes the organizer just covers the costs out of pocket. When lord_tris had meets at his place some guys would bring food and drinks (that pizza...) and we'd make an entire day of it, but that's not as easy to pull off at public venues.

Yeah that was the one and only meetup I ever attended, at @lord_tris, and it was really enjoyable (I remember someone bringing an early release or prototype Schiit Ragnorak).

I can start organizing something in the fall (before the end of this year) if people are interested. It'd probably be in a public library around Columbus, OH though, so nothing intimate. Please reply here if you're interested and let me know general availability. I'd like to do it on a Saturday. I have a feeling space and tables, as well as outlets won't be a problem. Parking also shouldn't be too bad really from the early scouting of public libraries I've done.

Food might not be feasible at a library (from what I can tell) and it would most likely have to be open to the general public (makes me worry slightly about theft). One of the great things about having it at lord_tris' place was that there were, I think, two separate rooms for more private listening. A public library will most likely be one big meeting room with lots of tables. Some places also seem to have no cost associated with reserving a room so I don't think an admission price would be necessary.

So yeah, please let me know if there is any interest and what everyone's preference in terms of timing is.

People Interested in a Columbus, OH Meetup - Availability - Gear to Bring
1) lac29 - available any Sat before the end of this year (minus Dec) - Schiit Gungnir (1 or multibit), Mjolnir (1 or 2 possibly), HD800 (unmodded)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #143 of 293
You know I'll be there.

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #145 of 293
So yeah, please let me know if there is any interest and what everyone's preference in terms of timing is.
If I can make it, I'm down.
I will host another event Sat. October 28th in Springboro Ohio right of Interstate 75 if their is interest again.
Same as above, if I'm available that weekend I'll try to make it. I'll be attending RMAF and TAVES earlier in the month, but currently I don't have anything booked.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #146 of 293
Hi, all. New here. Been a closet audiophile for years, just didn't know what it meant to spend the money. :)

I live west of Cleveland so can do anything near Cols or even Cinci. I'm down for the weekend late October. I was thinking of flying out to the RMAF, too. Anyone interested in an AirBNB?

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #147 of 293
I will host another event Sat. October 28th in Springboro Ohio right of Interstate 75 if their is interest again.

I would also come to event in Columbus if someone else wants to have event.

Let me know if there is interest and I am game .

Rick

Awesome, I'm in on that assuming I'm free that weekend. I'll delay any Columbus meetup to next year then.

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #148 of 293

I would also come to event in Columbus if someone else wants to have event.

Let me know if there is interest and I am game .

Rick

Count me in!

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #149 of 293
Well just found out I have a Wedding to go to so I can not make it sorry.

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #150 of 293
Oh, I thought I was subbed to updates to this thread.

Anyway, hi! I'm from Lancaster, OH, but will frequently be commuting to Athens for school.

October 28th seems like a fairly good date for me (though I don't have much to contribute in terms of hardware.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back