Oh yes, amassed another headphone...
Aug 25, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #16 of 52
Magicthyse, how about you get it over and done with and buy some D66s. Only then will you be complete.
biggrin.gif

If you wish to get rid of your SR225s, ship them my way.

Aug 25, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
WORKING AT WINNERS CANADA AS A SALES ASSOCIATE (which includes toilet cleaning duties) IS NOT WORTH $8 CANADIAN AN HOUR!!!

that aside....i keep feeling the urge for some sony v6's....i would totally go for beyer 250's as well, but for now price is definitely important...

a1leyez0nm3 : are you willing to give up your sony v6's? you do have senn 280s, why not share the v6 love?
biggrin.gif

waitaminute: just read your profile and you dont have v6's listed anymore....did you ever have them at all, or was it a figment of my imagination?

they belong to the studio where i monitor. sorry. just go for the v6 or 280... the beyers arent $100 better, i think, unless you have lots of money.

Aug 25, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #18 of 52
Magicthyse -- you're just too wrapped up in how headphones look. Get these, and get it over with:

Aug 25, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #19 of 52
Funny you should mention those...
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #20 of 52
Buzzy drivers on the DT250-80? How bloody loud did you break them in at? I've never had problems with driver distortion on 250s until you crank them to the point at which the earcups are shaking like a pair of cheap rumblefx headphones....

Anyways, gl with all of those headphone purchases, I've never listened to anything you've owned so I can't comment like the rest of these guys have. . .
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 52
I'd really like to hear the Pioneers myself, though I find Pioneer to be a hit and miss company. Their LD players (and LD plants) were phenomenol, some of their Elite receivers were good and the Pionner Elite TVs made today are awesome. And then there's there car audio products where I think they're still well known today. But then you have their mediocre Sony and Kenwood-ish crap, too.

So um, yeah, how well do they do headphones. I'd like to know.

Aug 26, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
Buzzy drivers on the DT250-80? How bloody loud did you break them in at? I've never had problems with driver distortion on 250s until you crank them to the point at which the earcups are shaking like a pair of cheap rumblefx headphones....

Anyways, gl with all of those headphone purchases, I've never listened to anything you've owned so I can't comment like the rest of these guys have. . .
tongue.gif

No silly, it's happening at normal volume. Either a dislodged driver, wiring fault or something like that - not a break-in problem!

I'm also looking at the possibility of replacing the V700 with the HDJ-1000 (which is now a UK product - wahey) if it's any good. Who will cave in and buy one first?

Aug 26, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
I still wonder, why people keep recommending the DT250/80 so often. The DT250/250 sounds a lot better to my ears, as the DT250/80 seems to have recessed highs... And the efficiency with portables is only very slightly better with the DT250/80, either...

lini, I haven't heard the DT250-250, but many people who have feel that a portable just can't drive them. At 250 ohms, it's too big of a risk, IMO, to buy them unheard. Plus they're $50 more than the DT250-80
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. They do have slightly recessed highs, but that's also another reason to use them with a portable or a computer IMO: the roll off is very slight, so they still sound great, but they take some of the edge off the grainy quality of many lesser sources.

Aug 26, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #24 of 52
I'm debating on getting the Beyer 250-80's for use as a 'mess-around' headphone that's still of audiophile quality for travel, etc. Or maybe the V6 would be more suited to that . . . I would get the higher-impedence version, however, I fear that there might not be enough driving power from a JMT CHA-47 + PCDP.

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse

I'm also looking at the possibility of replacing the V700 with the HDJ-1000 (which is now a UK product - wahey) if it's any good. Who will cave in and buy one first?

Dude, I'm dying to hear a review from either you or MacDEF of
these cans. And I'm dying to press that 'Order' button! Gimme
some news dude, gimme some news!
biggrin.gif

Save a friend from buying some (horrible?) V700DJ's!

Aug 26, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi

Dude, I'm dying to hear a review from either you or MacDEF of
these cans. And I'm dying to press that 'Order' button! Gimme
some news dude, gimme some news!
biggrin.gif

Save a friend from buying some (horrible?) V700DJ's!

No, they aren't horrible. Slightly overpriced for what they are in the sound department, but you have to take into account the looks and build of the phone. They are perfectly good phones for what they're aimed at.

People here say you can get something as good as the V700's for a quarter of the price if not less. Hey, name ONE phone which offers the same sound character, the same easy-to-drive function, the same level of looks and the same portability - for less. If you think you're so ******* knowledgeable or you know the V700's to be so terrible, humor me - cuz IMHO, it has a better sound than the HD 212 Pro, is as easy to drive, and it's built solidly - I'd say that makes it worth about $70 as a structural package. Add the looks package, and I'd say it's worth only slightly less than the $130 it normally goes for. I know most of you don't account for the looks, but that's your problem - not mine.

Aug 26, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #27 of 52
Originally posted by Magicthyse
Quote:

They are perfectly good phones for what they're aimed at.

People concerned more with looks than with sound quality?
shrug.gif

Quote:

People here say you can get something as good as the V700's for a quarter of the price if not less. Hey, name ONE phone which offers the same sound character

Who would want the same sound character?
confused.gif

Quote:

the same easy-to-drive function

I could name 100
tongue.gif

Quote:

the same level of looks

You got me there -- but the thing you keep failing to realize is that most people here put "looks" at the absolute bottom of their list of priorities: after sound quality, build quality, price, etc., etc., etc.

Quote:

and the same portability

Again, 100s.

Quote:

- for less

I could name quite a few that fill all those criteria except for looks, and that's subjective. I personally think the DT250-80 and the MDR-V6/7506 both look better, but that's my taste.

Quote:

IMHO, it has a better sound than the HD 212 Pro

Maybe the problem is that you just like the sound of the V700
evil_smiley.gif
I personally like the HD 212 Pro better than the V700.

Quote:

Add the looks package, and I'd say it's worth only slightly less than the $130 it normally goes for.

Or you could spend $65 and get the MDR-V6 which sounds better, is built better, is more efficient, is just as portable, and doesn't sacrifice much in the looks category. Better yet, buy two!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I know most of you don't account for the looks, but that's your problem - not mine.

Actually, I'd say that it is your problem -- we're happily enjoying much better sounding headphones for less money, but you're condemning yourself to a seemingly endless (and thus far fruitless) search for "better" headphones, hampered solely because you're so concerned with "look." Oh, well... to each his/her own, I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #28 of 52
If something is designed purely to look cool at the cost of substance or functionality, then it really is the oppisite of cool (or style or whatever).

People pick up on this, they can smell the desperation.

You might find that if you spend less time and effort trying to change peoples opinions of you, you will get some real respect and not be an object of scorn.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #29 of 52
Hmmm. That's your 2c. I'll stick to my guns, thanks. It does amuse me to see them so crapped on though.

If you want to have something on your head the resembles two gardening implements stuck together, no matter how good it sounds, well that's your decision isn't it.

I still repeat the mantra 'horses for courses' - recommendations for the HD280 for my use for example was totally inappropriate. I might just have to borrow a 7506 to see what the fuss is about. I thought it was nice and comfortable on trying it on but the sound didn't hit me (it was to be fair not the ideal place to try them).

On the other hand, I have a £50 credit at the shop - they sell the 7506 for £120 - hmmm...

Aug 26, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #30 of 52
Here's the way I see it;
Imagine you got yourself a Hyundai Excel and riced it up, put a spoiler on it, mags, big exhaust end, fake scoop on the bonnet, extra trim and all sorts of other wanky bits.

The only people you're likely to impress are people who are impressed by riced up cars - and honestly, they're not worth impressing.

Now lets say for the same price you could get yourself a decent car that was built better, performed better, cost less, was more reliable, faster and overall better but after paying for the car you couldn't afford to rice it up so you're stuck with the off-the-floor look.

Sure, you're not going to impress the ricers out there, but you will probably gain the respect of those out there who know that you're driving the better car, plus when you leave the ricers for dust at the lights you'll know who has the better car.

Who matters more to you, the ricers, or the people that actually count?

Same goes for headphones - wear a pair that look great and sound terrible and you might get some 2nd looks from teeny boppers who know nothing about headphones (or good sound for that matter). Wear a pair that look utilitarian and sound fantastic and every time you walk past someone who knows what they're worth you'll share that knowing glance with them.

I know who I'd rather have the respect of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back