Oh Yay! Double whammy :(
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

craiglester

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I went to turn on my amp tonight ([size=x-small]Little Dot II+ - yeah one of the maybe it will, maybe it won't Arc ones[/size]), and guess what..for the first time ever, [size=small]CRRRAAACKKK![/size] It Arced like a mofo and took out the left driver of my beloved Koss A/250's
frown.gif

Great stuff.. so now I have a useless amp - and a pair of probably unrepairable headphones.

The 250's will be sent off to Koss tomorrow with a note (begging for repair rather than replacement), but the amp.. well I'm not so sure... I don't recall there ever being a fix made for these.. so I'm thinking the trash can for it.. maybe I'll save the tubes or something.. any suggestions?

Right now i'm feeling as sick as a pike. Anyone have any good news?

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 13
sorry to hear that, but not surprised.

the LD2+ had a design defect. there was an exchange period for a ++, which was a very nice little amp, when the problem was discovered.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 13
just see the bright side - you have to choose a new amp and need to choose one that can be repaired without hassles , maybe a manufacturer from here in the us of a .

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 13
To be honest, I'm more upset about the headphones than the amp.

Well, it is my birthday coming up soon, so who knows.. maybe if I drop enough hints, my wife will get the message..

So, perhaps a subliminal tape to play her at night, with me repeating "new amp, new amp, new amp (B-52)" will work
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 13
Maybe use the chasis and built a Starving Student Millet Hybrid in it?

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Sorry for your loss!
Hopefully you get both units fixed shortly

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Good news is that my Koss A250s have been replaced with a new pair.. now I have to burn them in a little.

The amp sits in the corner of the room, looking sorry for itself.. bad amp

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 13
Hmm, maybe that's why some headphone makers (ie: Ultrasone) incorporate a diode into their drivers, in order to prevent a signal overload from amping. Course, it's that same diode that hinders its SQ. :p

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glass half full says, it's an opportunity to upgrade both your amp and headphones at once.
wink.gif

-Ed

Glass half empty says it's an opportunity to spend entirely too much money
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 13
lol spending money isn't much of an option with junior about to start pre-school, a vacation to Vegas on the horizon, and mass layoffs at my company in the last 2 weeks..

I think I'll drop some more hints to the family about my birthday coming up.. that might work
wink.gif

fair do's though, props to Koss and the lifetime guarantee
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back