Oh....what I have been missing!
May 9, 2009 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I picked up an album from John Coltrane(best of) and Miles Davis(kind of blue). Before I have never really tried to get into jazz/blues more than simply listening to thirty second samples on the internet. I just though it wasn't my thing. I mostly listen to R&B, Soul and Alternative Rock.

I was completely wrong. Now that I have the albums on my computer, I have actually become engulfed in it. So far, my favorite track is "in a sentimental mood". It is simply mesmerizing.

Who else should I look for besides the obvious picks? What are some of the best albums out there and by who?

May 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 29
My personal favorite is Chet Baker - Chet. I'd also recommend John Coltrane's Blue Train, and pretty much any of the earlier Bill Evans Trio (Everybody Digs Bill Evans, Waltz for Debbie, etc...).

May 10, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 29
I have been listening to Oscar Peterson nonstop all week. The album Night Train is fantastic, also Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson is great too.

May 10, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 29
The same thing happened to me, but from a different direction (dZihan and Kamien). I eventually got around to Kind of Blue and Coltrane. "Wise One" is my favourite of the latter.

May 10, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 29
Yay, a new jazz lover! You are lucky, you are going to discover some of the deepest, significant music that humanity has every produced. Too bad it is completely forgotten by the vast majority of people.

Since you picked up Kind of Blue and a best of for Coltrane, lets start by looking at more of those guys.

John Coltrane: Crescent and A love Supreme. These two albums go together, and I think they are the best albums Coltrane put out. Not dissing his free jazz stuff, but these two albums are him at his peak.

Miles Davis: Any of his albums with the prestige label are good if you want to listen to hard bop. Kind of Blue is more "cool jazz". In the early sixties he collaborated with Gil Evans on Sketches of Spain and Porgy and Bess. Both of those are worth getting. And for the real shift in Miles' playing, pick up Bitches Brew. Everyone should listen to Bitches Brew at least once in their life.

Bill Evans played with Miles on the Kind of Blue album. Definantly pick up Waltz for Debby and the Village Vangaurd recordings. It is some of the most delicate music there is, and they are the last recordings we have of bassist Scott LaFaro, who died only a couple of days after recording them.

I would also pick up some of McCoy Tyner's recordings, he was Coltrane's pianist and revolutionized jazz harmonies by shifting to quartal harmonies from tertian harmonies. Chick Corea took that idea to a whole new level in the 70's. Oh yeah, pick up some Chick Corea too!

Lee Morgan The Sidewinder
Herbie Hancock Headhunters
Duke Ellington Live at Newport
Wes Montgomery With Melvin Rhyne
Dizzy Gillespie Jazz at Massey Hall
Stanley Clarke Stanley Clarke and Friends Live at the Greek

... and so many more, I can't even think straight right now!

May 10, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I picked up an album from John Coltrane(best of) and Miles Davis(kind of blue). Before I have never really tried to get into jazz/blues more than simply listening to thirty second samples on the internet. I just though it wasn't my thing. I mostly listen to R&B, Soul and Alternative Rock.

I was completely wrong. Now that I have the albums on my computer, I have actually become engulfed in it. So far, my favorite track is "in a sentimental mood". It is simply mesmerizing.

Who else should I look for besides the obvious picks? What are some of the best albums out there and by who?

^^^ Welcome to the club!

darthsmile.gif

May 10, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mostly listen to R&B, Soul

Welcome to the roots of these my man.
biggrin.gif
shoot me a pm if you want some more recommendations

May 10, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 29
l38210o6mny.jpg
This would be a great beginners guide to jazz imho. 3 CDs and a dvd, Roy Haynes played with so many different greats through many eras. I saw him live summer of 2000 and he was casually kicking major ***** on his drumkit. A life changing experience for me and this set is what is playing on my ipod right now. Welcome to jazz for real though.

May 10, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 29
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will check each of them out!

May 10, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 29
May 10, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 29
Trane and Miles are two of the masters. Each a giant and explorer in the genre. You will find a nice mix of styles from both. Many good suggestions here already and there are many many more. You will be busy for awhile, a whole universe to explore. Trane and Miles alone are their own planets. If you are enjoying "In a Sentimental Mood" then easy baby steps would be Contrane's "Ballads" and Miles' "Love Songs 1&2"

Of course you must get "Kind of Blue" and "Giant Steps" and/or "A Love Supreme" straight away and things are things going to start challenging you. Miles and Trane have several releases together before Trane formed his own band. Some Googling will give you some background. Oh and Duke Ellington is a giant as well since you like "In a Sentimental Mood" There are just a host of greats and yes Jazz, like the blues will offer you some of the most honest, exploratory and soul stirring music offered. A direct connection with the emotion and souls of men (playing the solo instruments especially.) From the piano, horn or blues guitar straight to your heart, they communicate like a singing voice and you know it's authentic the moment you hear it.

May 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 29
John Coltrane

Ballads

Crescent

Duke Ellington and John Coltrane (I think this is where that version of "In A Sentimental Mood" comes from)

Duke Ellington

Such Sweet Thunder

Dexter Gordon

Go!

Lucky Thompson

Lucky Strikes

About Miles Davis, I've said it before: You can almost walk through his catalog and go, "Eenie-meenie-mynie-MO."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back