Oh no... near field system chewing up my listening time!
Aug 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

VanCitySound

100+ Head-Fier
I just put together a near field rig for my computer from odds and ends that I had lying about.  It sounds pretty good for a couple of harmon/kardon speakers, small sub and old amp.  I haven’t listened to my headphones in 2 weeks.... that’s several thousands of dollars that's just collecting dust!  Now I feel the urge to start buying stuff to upgrade the rig.

Have any of you gone in this direction?

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 8
  I just put together a near field rig for my computer from odds and ends that I had lying about.  It sounds pretty good for a couple of harmon/kardon speakers, small sub and old amp.  I haven’t listened to my headphones in 2 weeks.... that’s several thousands of dollars that's just collecting dust!  Now I feel the urge to start buying stuff to upgrade the rig.

Have any of you gone in this direction?

What headphones do you have?

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 8
There is something liberating about not having something strapped to your head and being physically tethered to your desk.  There is also something better about feeling the vibrations of the lows and hearing both channels with each ear as opposed to just one in each ear.  Also, to be blunt, I find the Hd800s a bit boring.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 8
I listen with the active monitors on my desk about half the time. I often recommend to people getting headphone amps that can double as pre-amps to hook up to active monitors as there are so many good ones out there that don't cost a fortune.

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 8
Now that I know what to look for in speakers to suit my tastes, it is actually liberating to have nothing on your head. My favourite speaker for near field is a pair of Celestion DL6 monitors I picked up for a hundred bucks....they are vintage and I have no idea what condition the crossovers are in....but man....they are nice sounding.

I think the days of speakers being the reference for headphone comparisons are limited....in due time people will be listening to speakers with a subconscious reference to their headphones.

I still fear that the beats phenomenon is trapping us in a market bubble...but that will equalise regardless of beats temporarily stimulating too fast a growth or not....because I feel headphones are now intrinsically linked with smatphones and smart phones ain't going away.

I think the speaker industry must pay attention to headphones and re think their approach in order to capitalise on opportunities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back