Oh no! My Grado HF-2s falling apart
Oct 24, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #31 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heehee.
smile.gif
I'm certain the micro-cracks were already there and taking off the pads just broke the pieces off. Might be a good idea for all HF-2 owners to check their wooden housings.

I'm sure that assessment is correct.

Quote:

I am wishing for a quick turn around time - as I said previously the HF-2s are now my primary phones. I hope the GS-1000s I just got in the mail today will lose that sssssss-sibilance after burn-in. Will probably need to switch op-amps and use standard bowls in the meantime on them.

The sibilance will remain, a good tube amp will help a lot though. A good amp in general helps the GS-1000s.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #32 of 67
Grado customer service and John Grado are tops in my book! I'm sure they won't let you down.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #33 of 67
Yes, the HF-2 has real mahogany. Not that mahogany is particulary rare or exotic. Or even all that expensive, for that matter.

Wood is not structurally sound in all dimensions and different species behave differently under different loads. Some hold up to compression well, others to twisting, and so on.

I think the failure point here is that the grain is improperly oriented towards the area of stress. They should have been cut differently from that piece of wood - you should always present the structurally toughest part to the point withthe most stress. There's a whole art to this in woodwork and joinery. The fractures are not unexpected the way the cups were cut.

I'd send it back to the factory for repair. A DIY repair will lower its value. Since it is under warranty, have the factory fix them.

Also, just want to point out that this is yet another good reason for the use of plastic in headphones. Plastic is more dimensionally stable and won't fracture like this. Not to mention plastic having the same density throughout - something that wood cannot do.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #35 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the HF-2 has real mahogany. Not that mahogany is particulary rare or exotic. Or even all that expensive, for that matter.

Wood is not structurally sound in all dimensions and different species behave differently under different loads. Some hold up to compression well, others to twisting, and so on.

I think the failure point here is that the grain is improperly oriented towards the area of stress. They should have been cut differently from that piece of wood - you should always present the structurally toughest part to the point withthe most stress. There's a whole art to this in woodwork and joinery. The fractures are not unexpected the way the cups were cut.

I'd send it back to the factory for repair. A DIY repair will lower its value. Since it is under warranty, have the factory fix them.

Also, just want to point out that this is yet another good reason for the use of plastic in headphones. Plastic is more dimensionally stable and won't fracture like this. Not to mention plastic having the same density throughout - something that wood cannot do.

I guess the real question is, do you think there is much to be gained(SQ wise) making the Driver holders out of wood versus plastic? Since there are obvious consistency issues related to using wood.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uncle Erik, you don't happen to be an engineer? Typical engineer's response on the failure analysis!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
The lip hit the grain just right, it looks to me.

He's a lawyer - I'm the Engineer.
wink.gif

EDIT: Plastic is still not in favor for musical instruments.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

For a lawyer he could have fooled me...I'm an Engineer as well (Chemical Engineer) and he sounded like one of us.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #38 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the real question is, do you think there is much to be gained(SQ wise) making the Driver holders out of wood versus plastic? Since there are obvious consistency issues related to using wood.

Honestly, I'd rather not see Grado change their entire wooded line to using plastic simply because someone complained about quality control. The unintended consequences could be much worse.

Not like that's happened before ... F1?
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

BTW, really enjoying my pair of HF-2's on a MOSFET-MAX.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh sure, rub it in! :wink:

The rest of us wait patiently for the new PCB to be released....

jk

BTW: A miniMax with a good pair of 12FK6 makes a fine substitute.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ya on second look at the picture I took, I see it broke off along the grain. Weren't the older RS series Grados cut differently from how they are now?

On another note, my RS-2s (button-less version) made with the same mahogany have survived quite a lot of abuse without anything breaking.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #41 of 67
Will hopefully the micro fractures werent the thing attributing to there great sound. Who knows how those cracks caused the casing to resonant differently.
wink.gif
Just kidding. Thats a bummer thing to always be worried about every time you go to set them down.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #42 of 67
I have worked with wood for years and used to have a wood working shop. Mahogany now is farm raised and does not have the tight grain or beautiful appearance it used to have as virgin, slow growing wood. Mahogany also tends to fracture easily but if it had been turned with the grain correctly oriented, it would not be so apt to split. Mahogany is actually a fairly soft wood. There are other woods that would be much more appropriate for the intended purpose but much more expensive.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #43 of 67
Quote:

wink.gif

EDIT: Plastic is still not in favor for musical instruments.

smily_headphones1.gif

Right you are!

But I've been fooling with wood since I was a kid and only been fooling with the law since '94.

Agreed on instruments - I wouldn't trade my grenadilla clarinet for a plastic one. On the other hand, I can't tune solid wood headphones and speakers. The clarinet allows me to adjust for wood movement.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #45 of 67
Now i am scared and i have to go check out my pair to make sure they are ok lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back