Oh no! My Grado HF-2s falling apart
Oct 23, 2009 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

purrin

aka Marvey, purr1n
Member of the Trade: Eddie Current
Just a something to be careful about... As HF-2 owners know, the lip that holds the ear pads extends a bit further from the wooden body compared to the RS/GS series of headphones. This may cause some complications.

I just found this out when I pulled off the ear pads. The pieces were evidently trapped in place for a while. I'm very sure I didn't cause this, as breakage is in the direction opposite of which I pulled the pad.

This appears to be some sort of wood fatigue. If you look toward the right of the picture you can so another chunk of wood that looks to be crumbling apart. It looks like hair or dust on the lens; but it isn't, it's a sort of a stress fracture.

HF2.jpg

I'm don't know if I should get some wood glue and put it back together myself or send it back to Grado. These have been my primary headphones every day since I got them and I really don't want to be without them, even for a few weeks. I doubt Grado would be able to repair and turn these around quickly since the wood housing and aluminum cap are so non-standard compared to the rest of their line. I did just get my GS-1000s in today though!

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 67
I heard a rumor that some guy in brooklyn makes grados in his basement.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:O I really need to take care of mine then.

Yup, yup, yup. Now that I think of it, I may have inadvertently caused the fatigue when falling asleep with them on (between my head and pillow). I had no problems ever with my RS-2s, but the design with the rather thin lip that extends about a 1/4" of an inch out is more fragile.

If anything, it's bad design and engineering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard a rumor that some guy in brooklyn makes grados in his basement.

LOL. I've visited the website too. This is well known. Some !@#itty design elements in their products, but I love the sound!

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, yup, yup. Now that I think of it, I may have inadvertently caused the fatigue when falling asleep with them on (between my head and pillow). I had no problems ever with my RS-2s, but the design with the rather thin lip that extends about a 1/4" of an inch out is more fragile.

LOL. I've visited the website too. This is well known. Some !@#itty design elements in their products, but I love the sound!

You don't sound like you are very bothered by the damage.
smile.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't sound like you are very bothered by the damage.
smile.gif

Na...
gs1000.gif
Upon closer inspection, it's actually a pretty easy repair (i've done similar repair work in other furniture related projects), as long as the rest of the wood doesn't crumble off. Just trying to decide if I am going to send them back as I will miss them for a few weeks. Probably not because the warranty period is one year anyways.

I was worried for a while as the HF-2s are the only Grados which I have been 100% completely satisfied in terms of sound balance (nice bass and head doesn't hurt even the slightest after long listening sessions).

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 67
Quote:

I guess that was the problem. I just checked mine and the wood seems fine. Bare in mind that I've only owned these for a week and 3 days
redface.gif

Edit: Has the glue cracked off there as well?

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

Na...
gs1000.gif
Upon closer inspection, it's actually a pretty easy repair (i've done similar repair work in other furniture related projects), as long as the rest of the wood doesn't crumble off. Just trying to decide if I am going to send them back as I will miss them for a few weeks. Probably not because the warranty period is one year anyways.

I was worried for a while as the HF-2s are the only Grados which I have been 100% completely satisfied in terms of sound balance (nice bass and head doesn't hurt even the slightest after long listening sessions).

You are definitely a better man than me! I would have been pissed off and got on the phone to Grado on the spot.
You should call them anyway.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 67
You should send them back. Looks like a bad piece of wood to me, and if it's cracking elsewhere, you could wind up with the whole thing falling off. Also, cracks and glue and a loose fitting driver, or air space in there, or air getting out of the chamber will all have an affect on the sound. It needs to be a solid piece of wood..

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 67
aren't you worried about the sound...with the mahogany cracked or compromised the whole phone is trash as far as I'd be concerned. Also that does not look like mahogany...looks more like a composite...hmm.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should send them back. Looks like a bad piece of wood to me, and if it's cracking elsewhere, you could wind up with the whole thing falling off. Also, cracks and glue and a loose fitting driver, or air space in there, or air getting out of the chamber will all have an affect on the sound. It needs to be a solid piece of wood..

Good points and thank you! I've collected the parts and will send an e-mail to Grado to see if they will repair it. Based on the design of the lip on the wooden housing, I have a feeling I will not be the only one calling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also that does not look like mahogany...looks more like a composite...hmm.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that comment. After spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on Grado products, I have developed the reasonable expectation of sonic bliss with a 75% chance of a something falling apart, fitting loose, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back