Oh no, kittens!
Aug 2, 2011 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
A pregnant stray showed up and I wasn't able to catch her in time.

Now there are three kittens, born just a couple days ago. I haven't been able to get a good look yet (they're under a car) but it looks like two gray tabbies and a possible gray/white or peach calico.

So, is anyone interested in a kitten? The mother seems to be looking after them and I'll get involved in a couple weeks when they're more active. I've been a cat lover for nearly 40 years and intend to socialize these three. I have a strong preference towards lapcats who do not see humans as toys, but instead as a source of affection. I've been successful with other kitties. These three are plenty young enough.

I'll do my best with these three. The mother is a sweetie and I think these three can be groomed into loving pets. I'll give them lots of attention and hope to turn them into lovebugs.

If anyone is interested in a kitten, I'd be happy to deliver one anywhere in Arizona, Southern California or the Las Vegas area. It'll be about six weeks before they're suffciently "burned-in."

I'll do what I can to ensure they love being handled, petted and snuggled with. All will be exposed to high-end audio and know what it is like to be held while wearing headphones. :)

Pics when I can get them and send a PM if you're interested in adopting an audiophile-grade kitten. :)

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 22
Haha, 6 weeks before they're burned in. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 22
Audio-phile grade, burned-in kitten.  What wit! 
wink.gif

That's a great thing you're doing Eric, and I'm sure they will be very grateful.

I personally am not a cat person and would never want one.  I couldn't where I live even if I wanted to.
Allergies + stink of a litter box = unhappy me.  I had to endure cats once when I rented a room from someone ages ago.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 22
Calico, that's tempting, though I think the cat's in residence might have a thing or several to say about it. I can't wait for some pictures

On stinky cat boxes, they don't have to happen, you just need to be diligent and have the right number of boxes for the number of felines.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
On stinky cat boxes, they don't have to happen, you just need to be diligent and have the right number of boxes for the number of felines.

Well this guy had 3 cats and 3 litter boxes.  I suppose if he used one of those newer cat toilet auto crap removal devices it would have been better, but the allergies were still too much to deal with.

I also had a really bad experience with a cat once where my instinctual reaction was just to throw it as far as I could.  Not intending to hurt it (nor did it get hurt) I tossed it quite hard.  I was kindly petting it and it was in my lap for some time enjoying the attention, and then all of a sudden it turned on me, jumped up in my face, scratched its claws all across my face where it drew lots of blood and barely missed my eye.  Fortunately the cuts healed without scars, but after that incident I've never had a desire to be around cats.  Still, I have had other not so pleasant encounters with them while attempting to be friendly and getting scratched (albeit nothing like the incident above).  Now I just do everything I can to avoid them completely.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 22
Well this guy had 3 cats and 3 litter boxes.  I suppose if he used one of those newer cat toilet auto crap removal devices it would have been better, but the allergies were still too much to deal with.

I also had a really bad experience with a cat once where my instinctual reaction was just to throw it as far as I could.  Not intending to hurt it (nor did it get hurt) I tossed it quite hard.  I was kindly petting it and it was in my lap for some time enjoying the attention, and then all of a sudden it turned on me, jumped up in my face, scratched its claws all across my face where it drew lots of blood and barely missed my eye.  Fortunately the cuts healed without scars, but after that incident I've never had a desire to be around cats.  Still, I have had other not so pleasant encounters with them while attempting to be friendly and getting scratched (albeit nothing like the incident above).  Now I just do everything I can to avoid them completely.

Cats are insane and I say that as someone who loves them and has been a body servant to the little monsters forever. For many cats, there's this razor-thin edge when you're petting them between pleasure and TOO MUCH. My oldest cat is like that. She's all, "Ooooh, that's great, that's perfect, that's wonderful" then suddenly trying to take a chunk out of you. You have to know the signs and you, poor cat-novice, didn't.

It's a pity you've had such a bad experience. Cats are endless entertainment and great company.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 22
Use pink noise. No one wants a kitten who was burned in wrong.

Quote:
Cats are insane and I say that as someone who loves them and has been a body servant to the little monsters forever. For many cats, there's this razor-thin edge when you're petting them between pleasure and TOO MUCH. My oldest cat is like that. She's all, "Ooooh, that's great, that's perfect, that's wonderful" then suddenly trying to take a chunk out of you. You have to know the signs and you, poor cat-novice, didn't.

It's a pity you've had such a bad experience. Cats are endless entertainment and great company.

I know. My cats are well-behaved and never scratch or bite, but they growl and hiss. Lately, at night, my little girl won't let me pet her belly. She's fine with it during the day but won't put up with it after 10 p.m. 
confused.gif

They're outdoor cats. I think they know not to hurt us because without us they'd be in trouble. They've already exhausted our property's mouse supply.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 22
I've never had a violent pet cat that would hurt me.  What are you people doing to your pets?

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
I've never had a violent pet cat that would hurt me.  What are you people doing to your pets? 

I've petted hundreds of cats and dogs, and never had trouble.   I must admit, I've never tried to pet an animal that has shown signs of fear or aggression, without assuring them first f my friendly intentions.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 22
It's not about them being violent.It's about the petting going on for too long. If you give a cat a couple of pats and then you're gone, it's not going to happen. But if you've got a cat in your lap and you're petting them absent-mindedly as your reading or listening to music, it can happen. As the ASPCA has it:
Some cats enjoy being petted, held, carried and even hugged. Some merely tolerate these activities with their owners, or they like being petted but not carried. And a few don’t like being petted at all. Petting-induced aggression occurs when a cat suddenly feels irritated by being petted, nips or lightly bites the person petting him, and then jumps up and runs off. This type of aggression isn’t well understood, but behaviorists think that physical contact, like stroking, can quickly become unpleasant if it’s repeated over and over. Repetitive contact can cause arousal, excitement, pain and even static electricity in a cat’s fur. Imagine if someone rubbed your back but, instead of moving his hand all over your back, he rubbed in just one spot, over and over. That could quickly become unpleasant. Your cat might feel the same way: what started out feeling good is now irritating, and he wants you to stop.

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:

There could be 2 reasons why the cat acted the way it did.  1)  It was halfway between a kitten and a cat, so, like a teenager I guess you could say.  2)  The owner had occasionally liked to get his cat high by blowing pot smoke in his face.  Unfortunately I didn't find that out until after the fact, but he hadn't done it that day at least he claimed.  I think that's a horrible thing to do to your pet, but animals in the wild do show many signs that they like getting intoxicated because of certain choice fungi they eat.  But the cat had never acted like that prior, so even the owner was surprised and didn't blame me for my automatic reaction of tossing it across the room.

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 22

I grew up with cats - and IME, they only "attack" if you did something annoying or something that causes them to fear you.

Quote:

Quote:

I've petted hundreds of cats and dogs, and never had trouble.   I must admit, I've never tried to pet an animal that has shown signs of fear or aggression, without assuring them first f my friendly intentions.

Anywho, I'll have to stay away from this thread now. While I've always wanted to have a cute little kitty to grow up and be best friends with my pug, I don't have the space and $$. Not to mention trying to get approval from the significant other...LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back