Oh no, kittens!
Aug 2, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
It's not about them being violent.It's about the petting going on for too long. If you give a cat a couple of pats and then you're gone, it's not going to happen. But if you've got a cat in your lap and you're petting them absent-mindedly as your reading or listening to music, it can happen. As the ASPCA has it: Quote:
Some cats enjoy being petted, held, carried and even hugged. Some merely tolerate these activities with their owners, or they like being petted but not carried. And a few don’t like being petted at all. Petting-induced aggression occurs when a cat suddenly feels irritated by being petted, nips or lightly bites the person petting him, and then jumps up and runs off. This type of aggression isn’t well understood, but behaviorists think that physical contact, like stroking, can quickly become unpleasant if it’s repeated over and over. Repetitive contact can cause arousal, excitement, pain and even static electricity in a cat’s fur. Imagine if someone rubbed your back but, instead of moving his hand all over your back, he rubbed in just one spot, over and over. That could quickly become unpleasant. Your cat might feel the same way: what started out feeling good is now irritating, and he wants you to stop.

Who would want to sit there and pet an animal for long periods of time anyway unless they were not right in the head?  I get the image of a crazy, old single women with messy hair sitting in a reclining chair, rocking back and forth with cats all over the place, eyes glazed over with a 30-yard stare, with a black cat in her lap as she heavily strokes it.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #17 of 22
that's ashame. hope you find homes for them. been seeing more and more shelters full and over burden nowadays. now they're suggesting neighborhoods should try to help the stray cats in the community by seeing if they help feed them and so forth. i grew up with cats. i would take them off of you but i own several cats already. couldn't part with them and i didn't want to see my cat's litter put in shelters waiting for a home they might not see. well good luck on finding a home for them. hope you do.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 22
Who would want to sit there and pet an animal for long periods of time anyway unless they were not right in the head?  I get the image of a crazy, old single women with messy hair sitting in a reclining chair, rocking back and forth with cats all over the place, eyes glazed over with a 30-yard stare, with a black cat in her lap as she heavily strokes it.

i don't know about cats but that's why i get annoyed with dogs. lot of them can be very clingy and want consent affection. Cats from my experience are very independent and usually like to be left alone. they will only bother when they feel like it or need the dish filled or litter changed. my cats do enjoy little affection here and there and like to cuddle at night but during the day they usually like their own space. only time i see cats wanting lot of attention cause they need to be looked after cause they been on their own for longest as a stray cause last owner abandoned them or been sitting in a cage for months and want out or cause in heat or the cat is going to have kittens.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #19 of 22
Best wishes on finding them a new home even if that new home is yours Uncle Eric
confused_face_2.gif
tongue.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 22
I'm also going to teach them not to play with headphone cords.

As for violence and attacks, I haven't seen that with the 20+ I've had over time. Some will try to wrestle with you (look at what they do to each other) but they can be taught that humans are not toys. Mai Tai wrapped up around my arm (gently) a couple times. A stern NO and taking her to a toy got the point across. She's been nothing less than loving to everyone. Yes, cats can be trained. Not obediance, like dogs, but they absorb rules and limits pretty well.

It also helps to socialize them young. These absolutely will be. They'll be picked up, held, turned over for bellyrubs, tails touched often, and so on. They will start associating that with affection and come to enjoy it. They need to be handled a lot and loved. Do it to them early and they'll see humans as a source of attention and love while being playful with toys and other cats.

Cats aren't aloof, either, if you treat them right. They're solitary predators hardwired to be inconspicuous, so they pretend not to care. Mai Tai appears not to care, but never lets me out of her sight. She keeps tabs on me if I go into another room. My cousins' cat "secretly" stalks them when the walk the dog. She hides behind stuff and sneaks around, but won't let them get ten feet ahead of her.

Holding an animal for a few hours is great, too. I love having a cat draped over my lap while I listen to music or watch a movie. Cats sleep up to about 18 hours a day and love to cuddle up while they snooze.

At any rate, I'll do my best with these kittens and try to perform the desireable lapcat mod. Pretty good chance since the mom is gentle and friendly. Not sure about the father, but it's probably the long-haired black and white tom in the neighborhood. Nice guy, he throws himself down at my feet and cries until I rub his belly. Nice guy. They have potential.

I'll get pics up when I can and I'm sure they'll get homes. My cousins are interested in one. I might take another. And we have tons of family friends, so they'll all end up spoiled housecats. I'd be happy to pass one on to a Head-Fi'er, too. You're all friends. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back