oh my terrible predicament with closed headphones , I need help
Mar 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

keithhr1

New Head-Fier
So I just purchased Sennheiser HD-800 phones and some two AKG-D702, recabled them with some custom cable, everything was perfect accept my wife woke up at 2:00 am this morning saying the open headphones were too much, and when I took them off while the music was playing I could clearly see her point, they were really loud (HD-800) I just bought two Burson HA-160 amps to use with them.
So now I have to find the absolute best sounding closed headphones that can be reasonably recabled with a brand new cable technology that is quite special and I must be able to use it. I know it sounds kind of weird but I have a new quest and I know this is the absolute best place to find what I need. They absolutely must have something seductive in their nature like the 800's, so any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 22
Basic and unquestionably the Ultrasone Edition 8's.
But if you have the dough to go exotic, then get what imo are the best closed can ever made, the STAX 4070 Monitors, alternatively, if you prefer dynamics, then scout for the Sony R10's, they are second in my list, but for that money you can get the 4070 system of dreams. Any of these two are IMO beyond the hd800's, so you would be upgrading
o2smile.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 22
I've almost always preferred the sound of open headphones over closed, but that being said, I have a pair of W5000's on loan to me at the moment from another sydney head-fi'er that are astonishingly good.

I remember dismissing them the last time I heard them under meet conditions because they had very little "wow" factor. But now, with an extended at-home audition, they're really starting to shine. They seem very balanced, and are capable of soundstaging better than any other closed can I've heard.

Something to consider.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've almost always preferred the sound of open headphones over closed, but that being said, I have a pair of W5000's on loan to me at the moment from another sydney head-fi'er that are astonishingly good.

I remember dismissing them the last time I heard them under meet conditions because they had very little "wow" factor. But now, with an extended at-home audition, they're really starting to shine. They seem very balanced, and are capable of soundstaging better than any other closed can I've heard.

Something to consider.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000

Both cans are good, no question (still imo bellow what I suggested). However both cans leak a lot so they are useless for the OP. Im sure neither of you have heard them! why post??

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 22
Totally agree, Edition 8 are the way to go. I use those in my bedside rig, and they were the ONLY headphone that my wife couldn't hear at all. L3000, Denon D5000 she could easily hear. The JVC DX1000 were close - these she couldn't hear enough to really bother her. But the Ed 8 she shouldn't hear at ALL.

Great headphones, too.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithhr1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So now I have to find the absolute best sounding closed headphones that can be reasonably recabled with a brand new cable technology that is quite special and I must be able to use it.

Stax 4070 or Sony MDR-R10 maybe?
wink.gif

Not sure about re-cabling the 4070, but for the MDR-R10 that may work and have been done by others...

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 22
KeeS modded Pro 900... They still do more things right then my Edition 8

On the other hand they may compete to much 1:1 with the HD 800 and K702s... Mine beated the K701 but if it´s enough to beat the HD 800 I have no idea.

Edition 8 is more practical then the 900 for portable use which can is a huge bonus for me. It´s also slightly more laid back and more forgiving on poor sources, recordings etc... Lower roof but higher ceiling you could say.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both cans are good, no question (still imo bellow what I suggested). However both cans leak a lot so they are useless for the OP.

Compared to the HD800, they do not "leak alot". W5000 is still closed, and if it leaks a little bit, that's still a vast improvement over a completely open headphone like the HD800.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im sure neither of you have heard them! why post??

What is up with you? Did you even read my post? I have them on my head as I type this. Take a chill pill.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 22
LOL

I second (or third or whatever) the Ed8. I have been through L3000 and markl LA2000. The L3000 leaked some and the LA2000 leaked almost as much as a GS-1000 but the Ed8 leaks essentially nothing. I too use them in the bed side rig with the wife next to me and no complaints (she didn't really complain about the L3000 either but the LA2000 were a no go).

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A real Head-Fier divorces instead of making compromise with closed cans.

I do not intend to be unkind or disrespectful to you, Skhhelyesfarku, but it seems to me that your perspective comes from a lack of knowledge and experience regarding this particular topic.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared to the HD800, they do not "leak alot". W5000 is still closed, and if it leaks a little bit, that's still a vast improvement over a completely open headphone like the HD800.

What is up with you? Did you even read my post? I have them on my head as I type this. Take a chill pill.

Please forgive him Covenant, I think he's got the Ed 8 on and just can't hear you.
wink.gif

Closed Shade.

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 22
If an IEM appeals to you I believe the JH13 is worth consideration for both sound and isolation. It is guaranteed to isolate you from your wife while listening.

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not intend to be unkind or disrespectful to you, Skhhelyesfarku, but it seems to me that your perspective comes from a lack of knowledge and experience regarding this particular topic.

Generally speaking, Peter, ad hominem arguments are considered rude and disrespectful. Not to mention fallacious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back