OH MY. I THINK I HATE THESE CANS
Jan 23, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #16 of 32
Yeah, unfortunately those highs are never going to go away. BTW, the iPod powers the V6s easily also.

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #17 of 32
Alright, another "quickie" observation. Yes, I have to turn the volume up just a few notches to get the V6's as loud as the 200's, but I think that's also due in part to the fact that with the 200's, the mids and bass aren't as balanced, as they are with the V 6's. The V6's IMO are definetely more of a nuteral can. This does actually leave me with a nicer "after tone?" than with the 200's.

However, there is one thing that I can't get past with the V6's. And that's the simbilance. It's pretty horrible. And perhaps the one thing than may force me into selling them. From what I can recall, I think I'd enjoy the Sennheiser HD 280's more than these, for the type of music I've been storing on my IHP.

Jan 23, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 32
I wore them for around 3 1/2 hours, the only real thing which affected comfort, was the slight sweat build up. Aside from that, I found them to be pretty comfy.

After further listening, I found the sound to be better than my initial impressions when compared to the PX 200's. This however, is only with some EQ'ng. With no EQ, it's almost like when I'm playing one of my guitars throughmy Fender Twin Reverb (original 67' Silver Face BTW), where if all the tone controls are very low or off, you don't really get any sound until you start turning them up somewhat. I think that the V6's would almost be pretty good if not for the extreme simbilance in some/a lot of songs. It depends on how the album you're listening to was produced. Listening to Classical is alright, but not anything special. No smooth transitions or warm tones, but not totally harsh either. However, some rock songs just bring out certain highs that I personally just don't like.

I spoke to MuffinMan_01 last night, and he said he had them for 3 months and he fully burned them in so....w/e with that. I'll be doing lots of listening this weekend, and if I don't like em, off they go.

The one thing I've realized is that I've come to a cul-de-sac of sorts. In the price range I've been looking at, there isn't much that can go beyond what I've already seen/heard/owned. The next logical step would be to um...spend more money. Freekin Head-Fi. Oh well. I didn't listen. I was told that ignorance was bliss, but I just HAD to be curious. I'm thinking that my next purchase may be some Beyers (990 pros perhaps) and a little amp. Prolly in a couple months. We'll see.

Jan 23, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #20 of 32
Maybe you should have gotten the Sennheiser HD-25's that EyeAmEye was selling. I bought it, and wow this baby goes LOUD. and the seal on my ears is extraordinary. Maximum SPL on this is 120dB, and I'm finding that I'm able to hear everything so much better when compared to my Grados. Man, I'm starting to love this puppy!

And it being used only cost $70. Awesome! This is going to become my replacement closed cans over the crappy Audio Technica ATH-M40fs...

Jan 23, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
I'm thinking that my next purchase may be some Beyers (990 pros perhaps) and a little amp. Prolly in a couple months. We'll see.

Nope, get Grado's.

Jan 23, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 32
It's funny, comparing V6's to PX200's, I have the exact opposite reaction. I really dislike the sound of the PX200's (a friend of mine has a pair). Compared to the V6's they sound a bit muffled.

It is really interesting how so many people have very strong feelings about the V6- they seem to bring out interesting reactions in people.

Jan 23, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #23 of 32
Uh oh, he's coming down with a case of "upgradeitis". It's very contageous, and has no known cure. Treatment is very expensive.

biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jan 24, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #26 of 32
Gee, I just bought px-200 and put 50 hours burn in on them, compared to my eggo d66. I prefer eggo so much more.
Px-200 seems muffled and offer more boomy bass.
Definitely Eggo gives more clearer sound and provide a tight bass which I like for most of my music collection. I tried them with my Sharp mt180 w/out amp. I think I'll give the px200 to my brother.

Jan 25, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #27 of 32
Well well. Updates are always fun. Let's one see what havoc he's wreaked while away. Fortunately no damage has been done. (secretly disappointed)

Left the V6's playing all last night and all day using my Onkyo TX SV515 Pro. Ocassionally taking the rubber bands off (kept them sealed) to give a listen. I suppose the big thing here, is that using my Onkyo as a source, has made things more apparent than before.

Some of the things which have been said about the PX 200's are very true, when comparing t them to the 6's. For one, the bass....Although I wouldn't say that the bass is overall muddy, it's definetely more bloated than the 6's bass. On the whole, music sounds veiled through the 200's when compared to the 6's. This is something one can notice when using something like the KSC 35's as well, but the thing to note here, is that the 6's are closed.

I've actually grown to really like the sound of the V6's, except for that one thing which exists in mostly rock music with alot going on in it, or with vocals. That damned simbilance really sucks. If it wasn't there, they'd be so much better. This higher frequency problem also really affects the way particular passages are handled. For instance, when listening to Radioheads' 2+2=5, during the heavy section, all the instruments get totally garbled, it's a congested mess, and the 6's don't handle it well at all. I am happy with the amount of bass they produce...pretty accurate (in comparison) and the mids seem a hell of alot more balanced as well. I'd certainly prefer to use the V6's for my stereo over the PX 200's.

The one thing I noticed when A/B'ng the two, was that with the 200's, there was absolutely NO hiss comming from my receiver (not audiable), but as soon as I plugged the V6's in, I'd hear very clear backround hiss. What causes this ? I'd also like to believe that the V6's are not as efficeint as the 200's but I'm not sure bout that. I just know though, that the V6's would be served well by using a super mini with my IHP. Yes, I can up the volume, but I have a feeling that all the rest of it (soundstage, pressence) would benefit from that too. In a little while, I'm going to unplug the 6's from the Stereo and plug em' into the IHP for more testing. S0....

"I'll Be Bock"

Jan 25, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #28 of 32
What is sibilance exactly? Would I be able to notice this characteristic in either my SR-80's or KSC-50's?

Jan 25, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #29 of 32
I"m not even sure I spelled the word correctly. But what it basically is:

The presence of strongly emphasized s, sh, ch, z, j sounds in speech called sibilants. These CONSONANTs are created by air moving through the vocal tract and being constricted by the position of the tongue and lips.

The SPECTRUM of sibilants is that of NARROW BAND NOISE in the high frequency range (5-10 kHz) and therefore their perception is the first to be affected by hearing loss with age (PRESBYCUSIS). Sibilants may be unvoiced (i.e. without pitch) or voiced (i.e. with an added vibration of the vocal cords).

Compare: HISS, TREBLE, VOWEL, WHITE NOISE.

You would most definetely be able to recognize the problem, if it was an attribute of your cans. I'd presume to hear this comming from the Grados, rather than your other cans, but since I don't own them, I can't tell you. Listen to a song with heavy vocals. Listen for a verse where words with the letter "S" are prominant. Usually a word that begins or ends with that letter. You'll notice a harsh or abrasive tinge when the "s" is pronunciated.

Jan 25, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

I'm thinking that my next purchase may be some Beyers (990 pros perhaps) and a little amp. Prolly in a couple months. We'll see.

Quote:

Originally posted by feverish:
Nope, get Grado's.

I'm definetely not a Grado person. I find the highs way too um....grating for my tastes. And they're just not that comfortable to wear for extended periods of time either. And no, I won't mod thank you. I truly enjoyed the Beyers when I heard them. Not sure why you'd even attempt to make such a loose comment like that without even providing so much as a why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back