OH MY. I THINK I HATE THESE CANS
Jan 23, 2004 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Sweet Spot

1000+ Head-Fier
Now I realize that different strokes for different folks comes into play here, so let's just get that right out of the way.

Over the months, I've heard people talking about the sony V6's as if they were the best budget closed design can out there. I'd always wanted to get them, but wasn't brave enough to give them a try. I remember going into B&H Photo, and checking them out for a minute or two, (was in a rush) and thought they sounded pretty good, but didn't have enough time to really evaluate.

So, I just purchased a pair from fellow head-Fi'er "TheMuffinMan_01". Good guy by the way(even with your poor taste in movies
wink.gif
)..things went very smoothly transaction wise, etc. I got them Just now. They're already broken in obviously, so I wasn't too worried about that. Thought I'd just plug and play and be all good right ? Well..... Um... One thing... "WHERE'S THE BEEF ? ! "

As quickly as I can, I'm A/B'ng them with my Sennheiser PX 200's. The results thus far are not good for the Sony's. I was under the impression that they needed no amping..isn't this right ? Because in comparison, they seem to be severely underpowered, way laid back, and their strongest attribute, is the treble. Unfortunately, without the tight bass and balanced mids I'm missing from my Senns, the trebble is NOT a good attribute. I really don't see why people praise these things.

I put my PX 200's on, volume at 14, and I can discern all the instruments, clearly. All feels present..especially tight bass. An all round feeling of being surrounded by the music. Granted, the soundstage is not the best, but as far as being detailed, the PX 200's are just that. Very detailed.

Put the V6's on, and I can barely hear any of the instruments. The bass is totaly inaccurate to me in that it doesn't feel or sound present throughout a passage where a bassline is definetely being put down. They just sound shallow and weak.

Perhaps with an amp, this would change, but then...the PX 200's with an amp would sound better too no ? They're both rated at 32 Ohms...but is there something more to this than that ? Because I'm totally unsatisfied. The one thing that I like is that they're pretty comfortable. More so than my PX 200s IMO.

I forgot to mention the important thing...I'm running them both through the headphone out of my IHP-120.

Just switched from 200's to 6's again, playing Outkast (Speakerboxxx) "The Rooster" and man...are these things tinny ! Yuck. I think these may be going up for sale pretty soon. I'll give them a day or 2 or 3-4 to get used to them, and report back I suppose.

Automatic Uptdate:

I just slapped on my KSC 35's and did some A/B/C'ng. Basically, what I'm finding so far is that the V6's offer only isolation when compared to the 35's. In other words, the 35's sound smoother, with more present bass and a bit more up front. But because they're open and because I just can't get the damned things to fit right on my ears, the difference is neglegable. I'd probably only use the V6's outside, but ONLY if I didn't have the PX 200's. The isolation on the 6's is better than the PX 200's, but doesn't warrant using them over the Senns. So again, we shall see in a few days. Perhaps I'm being far too premature in all of this since I just sank them on my head for the first time really..but you know what they say about first impressions right ? My first impressions of the PX 200's were the complete opposite by the way. I only had Porta Pros at the time to compare them with, and really enjoyed the nuterality of them compared to the PP's.

So far, I don't see how anyone could find a better pair of closed cans for under $50...And if my opinion remains the same days from now, they're going to beat out a pair of $75 cans. Oh, and the KSC 35's really compete here as well. I mean for the same price as what ecost.com is selling the Senns for, they're a freekin steal as well. If I sell these Sony's, I swear I'll never buy another pair of Sony's again. I was burned once by the V-600's, and at this point, I dont' hear ..well, I'll reserve the comment for a few days from now.

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

I put my PX 200's on, volume at 14, and I can discern all the instruments, clearly. All feels present..especially tight bass. An all round feeling of being surrounded by the music. Granted, the soundstage is not the best, but as far as being detailed, the PX 200's are just that. Very detailed.

Put the V6's on, and I can barely hear any of the instruments. The bass is totaly inaccurate to me in that it doesn't feel or sound present throughout a passage where a bassline is definetely being put down. They just sound shallow and weak.

Wait a minute, are you telling me you left the volume at 14 with the V6s and never bothered raising it so you can get it to sound as loud as your Senns? You know bass in particular is relative to the volume. Raise the volume and you've just increased your bass by a few db.

In anycase, the V6s don't need to be driven by an amp. It can be driven to levels louder than I wish it to be by both my PCDP and my MD.

RAISE THE VOLUME!

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 32
Burn those suckers in! They're crappy all right, but with a good source/amp and burn-in, they'll sound better.

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Burn those suckers in! They're crappy all right, but with a good source/amp and burn-in, they'll sound better.

You didn't read his post carefully. He bought them used, so they were already "burned in".

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
PX200's are bad enough... V6 are even worse??

Not the V6 I heard...V6 isn't the greatest, but it was better than PX200's for sure.

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 32
Thanks for your detailed impressions. Great reading. It's definitely "what-I-think-of-V6s" week on head-fi! I'm finding it fascinating. I'm glad to have a pair just so I can enjoy these threads. My opinion of them waxes and wanes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Now I realize that different strokes for different folks comes into play here, so let's just get that right out of the way...

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 32
What other sources and amps have you tried them in?

I enjoy the V6s. They're not as sensitive as other headphones so you need to turn the volume up. This may not work out so well with weak portables.

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 32
Everyone seems to think so badly of the PX200, and I have no idea why...

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 32
If i remember you own a Karma. If this is true ( i am listening to my karma with v6's now) turn of eq and raise volume to 22. This is my favorite for Goo Goo Dolls. The karma has alot of headroom while powering these. They have bigger drivers than the px200's so they may need more volume.

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by CheewyMuffin
If i remember you own a Karma. If this is true ( i am listening to my karma with v6's now) turn of eq and raise volume to 22. This is my favorite for Goo Goo Dolls. The karma has alot of headroom while powering these. They have bigger drivers than the px200's so they may need more volume.

He has an iHP-120!
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #13 of 32
Alright ...Alright..One at a time fellas. Wow..all the defenders of the universe come out of hiding ! *snicker*

Alright, from bottom to top:

Quote:

Everyone seems to think so badly of the PX200, and I have no idea why...

Based upon what I've read, I'd imagine it has alot to do with the seal people get. I get a perfect one, and can hear lots of detail. I didn't say soundstage... Aside from that, i can't imagine what people have to complain about with these, especially since they sell for $29 most of the time at ecost.com ! Cost aside...I think they're worth the retail which I actually paid for them.

Quote:

KSC35>V6> .................... PX200

Hmm, I'd put the 6's last at this point. 200's first.

Quote:

What other sources and amps have you tried them in? I enjoy the V6s. They're not as sensitive as other headphones so you need to turn the volume up. This may not work out so well with weak portables.

I have yet to plug them into my Onkyo TX SV 515. So for now, just the IHP 120. I don't own any portable amps. Not as sensetive hu ? What exactly affects this ? I understand the whole dB thing, but not what's behind it, especially when the Ohm rating is the same. But on that note, raising the volume, only lets me hear more of what I don't like about them ! Not much of a solution IMO. Especially when all that does is put more of a drain on my IHP's battery life.

Quote:

PX200's are bad enough... V6 are even worse??

Quote:

Not the V6 I heard...V6 isn't the greatest, but it was better than PX200's for sure.

Lemmie tackle both of these. Saying that the 200's are "bad enough" isn't much of anything but saying that we have different opinions. I feel the complete opposite, and stated why. I'd appreciate it if you'd explain what you didn't like. I already know you think they lack any soundstage...I've read that before from you. But how about comparing them with something relatively close to them meaning price range and intended use from conception. (Meaning that it's obvious some cans were designed to be truely Hi-End such as Senn 600's or Grado RS-1's, and others are meant to be more "average Joe" consumer branded)
Now comparint them both, all I can say is that so far, I get from my 200's, what the 6's just don't give me. I think they're "lacking".

Quote:

Wait a minute, are you telling me you left the volume at 14 with the V6s and never bothered raising it so you can get it to sound as loud as your Senns? You know bass in particular is relative to the volume. Raise the volume and you've just increased your bass by a few db.

Um...Yeah. That's EXACTLY what I'm tellin ya bub
wink.gif
Why do you make it sound as if I'm an idiot for thinking that the volume would be nearly the same, (or perhaps more) when switching them ? Should I have already known that they'd be a hell of a lot lower in volume ? Ok, now I understand that the dB levels must be different, and that the Senns are more sensetive, but this isn't really a plus in my book. It only means that I need to turn up the juice, and not only hear more of that really ugly, sloppy bass, but that I'm also going to get less battery life. Hmm...great. And that's probably where an amp would fit in nicely. But I don't have one.

Quote:

RAISE THE VOLUME!

shhhhhhhh.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
You didn't read his post carefully. He bought them used, so they were already "burned in".

If I followed TheMuffinMan_01's story correctly, he didn't keep the V6s very long before deciding to sell and get something else.

What puzzles me most is these reports that the V6 isn't efficient. I find them to be more efficient than anything else I have, except for earbuds like the MX400. I can understand why some don't like the V6 (sort of
wink.gif
) but why should we hear such differences in loudness?

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 32
It's true he didn't have them for all "that" long, but I'll find out later just how long when I talk to em. Now, what exactly is powering your V6's ? Could just be the source of course. From what I've heard, the Karma's headphone out, has a higher signal level than the IHP's, so that could be what you're getting there cheewey...

In anycase, I have some other opinions now, but I'm going to wait until I've tested more before I tell you what they are. One thing I'll say is that having your brain/ears make sound adjustments is a confusing thing. That said though, there's one thing I'm sure of. The V6's have this treble that just won't go away, no matter what you do. As of now, the EQ on my IHP is flat. But no matter what EQ adjustments I make, the treble is still abrasive ..especially at high volumes. Listening to early Police...man ..snare drum is piercing a hole in my brain !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back