Oh MY! I heard a shuffle for the first time today
Jan 5, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #16 of 62
I know that the sound quality on the shuffle is good enough that I sold my 4g 60gb ipod and don't ever feel the need to use my SM3. Shuffle+UM2 = airline bliss.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Shuffle+UM2 = airline bliss.

only for short flights, though.
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 62
Can anyone confirm ipod lineout + RSA/Xin/etc. beats shuffle?

An ipod setup 5-10x the cost of a shuffle should beat it in terms of SQ right?
smily_headphones1.gif

--

K shuffle sounds like a great value now, beating setups costing hundreds more. I forget I've got one of these though:

sonynw6sn.jpg

I'll see how it does amped too.

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #20 of 62
shuffle beats my mini hands down.
but IMO the shuffle needs to be amped for my senns to get the good stuff.

Its very nice with out an amp w/Senns. But I just plugged in the hornet and theres not comparison. I get more depth, bass is increased and better seperation.

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Can anyone confirm ipod lineout + RSA/Xin/etc. beats shuffle?

An ipod setup 5-10x the cost of a shuffle should beat it in terms of SQ right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I think my rig beats my friend's shuffle (see my rig for the rig) so yes, it beats the shuffle.

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #22 of 62
With grados and um2s, the shuffle beats the ipod (2nd or 4th gen, the ones I've heard) + supermacro or sr71 hands down, no contest.

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
With grados and um2s, the shuffle beats the ipod (2nd or 4th gen, the ones I've heard) + supermacro or sr71 hands down, no contest.

Yeah, my friend's shuffle sounded better than my old 3G, and his 4G with SuperMacro. And way better than a mini.

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
I think the Shuffle sounds more accurate. Sound like nothings been boosted.

While I like the sound of my MD/HiMD especially with 352kps, I think the shuffle sounds a smigen more accurate. I enjoy listening to both though.

I don't like the pre 5G iPods though. The 5G is pretty good, though I haven't had enough time with one, to make a fair comparision.

You might be right on the smidgen more accurate. I think it comes down to personal taste. The Mids on my md are quite forward which I like and the highs are mellow (for a portable) and the sound is a touch darker. I was still very impressed with the shuffle as other DAPs with suposedly decent quality have annoyed me rather.

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #26 of 62
my opinion was the 5G unamped > shuffle unamped.

this was through er4p, sr125 and px100.

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
no must resist. i already have a nano, nice dock, ICs and amp...

dont resist, the shuffle 512 is cheap. 1g is too large for song searching anyhow, and I would definately place this in the audiophile territory in terms of sonics.

use it for a minimalist rig
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #28 of 62
I second RnB180 opinion, i have a nano too, but you can find a cheap used shuffle like i did (1GB for 60 bucks
biggrin.gif
), the sound is good, the size is perfect, you wont worry about it as much as you would worry about your nano (which in my case is a big plus) and it has good power; for 60 bucks? A STEAL, you might not find it at that price but you will find a much better deal than retail.

i would love a screen on it tough...

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Its very nice with out an amp w/Senns. But I just plugged in the hornet and theres not comparison. I get more depth, bass is increased and better seperation.

where do you plug the hornet to , hp out ?
in this case sound quality isn't supoosed to improve really ..

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #30 of 62
so the 5g iPods sound better then the shuffe?
I already have an iRiver hd120 with optical and micro stack.

argh... tempting, but I can justify buying a full sized DAP when I have an iRiver optical -> micro stack, which IMO doesnt get any better for portable goodness.. aside from larocco pocket reference II. I havent heard that one yet, but Ive read that it beats the Micro amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back