Oh MY! I heard a shuffle for the first time today
Jan 5, 2006 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
The sound quality of the shuffle is astounding!
What the heck is wrong with Apple? Which iPod aside from the shuffle uses the same dac?

Its kills my iPod mini.

The shuffle sounds damn good! I am very very impressed.

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 62
Really? I just used a shuffle earlier today and thought it sounded pretty awful. I used the 5G iPod and the Nano as well and found the Nano to work out the best for me, though none of them were particularly pleasing to me.

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 62
Having had a breif go with shuffle and the nano recently I have to say I found the shuffle far better too. My mate who owns them, whos a stock iPod ear bud kind of guy, mentioned he thought the nano sounded much worse. The shuffle had much clearer highs and slightly less "boomy" bass from what I remember. It also sounded a bit less muddy. I have to say I'd probably still pick my MD player over it for SQ though.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 62
I think the Shuffle sounds more accurate. Sound like nothings been boosted.

While I like the sound of my MD/HiMD especially with 352kps, I think the shuffle sounds a smigen more accurate. I enjoy listening to both though.

I don't like the pre 5G iPods though. The 5G is pretty good, though I haven't had enough time with one, to make a fair comparision.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 62
unfortunately, the ipod mini probably has the WORST SQ out of the post 2G ipods. So no wonder that the Shuffle sounded far better. In fact, i think the Shuffle is second only to the 5G, which hasn't had a SQ misstep for me yet.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 62
strange. i prefer the 5G to the shuffle...sounds flatter and cleaner to me. shuffle's definitely 2nd in the lineup, tho.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
...In fact, i think the Shuffle is second only to the 5G, which hasn't had a SQ misstep for me yet.

jinx, buy me a coke.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
strange. i prefer the 5G to the shuffle...sounds flatter and cleaner to me. shuffle's definitely 2nd in the lineup, tho.

Lol we posted at the same time! But I agree with you.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
jinx, buy me a coke.

DARN IT we did it again! Now buy ME a coke!
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
DARN IT we did it again! Now buy ME a coke!
tongue.gif

ok, that was freakin' weird.

Jan 5, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 62
I havn't had a chance to listen to a 5G ipod for a long listening session so I can't comment on it but the Shuffle's bass is far improved from previous versions. It's a pretty balanced sound. Overall it's a little lacking on the detail for me but it's great as portable unamped rig.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i think a lot of what makes the shuffle sound so nice is the fact that it has a pretty beefy internal amplifier. i think the Shuffle sounds pretty great.

The Shuffle's internal amp doesn't have output coupling caps, unlike the previous ipods (dunno about the 5G). Also the DAC is different, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back