oh my god
Mar 5, 2002 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

cola

100+ Head-Fier
bg_01.jpg
bg_09.jpg
bg_07.jpg

Mar 5, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 38
[size=medium]WEBCAM ADDICT GETS KILLED BY FALLING AVALANCHE OF MD PLAYERS[/size]

Now would somebody fill out the body text for me...
wink.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 5, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 38
Looks like a pile of trash. I'll take it to the dump site for you if you want.

Actually, I'd probably sell them for $5 each in a garage sale, then buy something good with the money.

Mar 5, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Looks like a pile of trash. I'll take it to the dump site for you if you want.

Actually, I'd probably sell them for $5 each in a garage sale, then buy something good with the money.

Wow, Audio&Me, your cynicism is really ringing through. I guess us MD fanatics will never live up to your elitist standards.
tongue.gif

Have a nice day!

-Keith

Mar 5, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Unfortunately, you can't buy a pair of ears...

Mar 5, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 38
Audio&Me, have you actually HEARD a well recorded MD?

Mar 5, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

So what you're saying is that I have bad ears for disliking compressed sound? Ok... Think what you want pal.

So what you are saying is that we have bad ears for liking MD? I guess that you are so much better than the rest of us here who like MD, you should probably go and start your own message board and only people who have perfect hearing and elitist attitudes are allowed to post.
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Keith

Mar 5, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 38
miller - no, I'm not a snob. I don't make ignorant comments like "you must have bad ears because I disagree with your opinion". I do admit that my first reply to this thread was out of line. I apologize for speaking prior to thinking. I will try to keep my negative opinions to myself. I do not know where you got the whole "elitist attitude" idea though, does not apply to me at all, that's your own conjuring,
tongue.gif
. Lets bring the friendly vibe back. Have a good day Keith.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 38
I am admittedly no audiophile (ear-wise or equipment-wise), but given the same playback headphones, I can tell the difference between an optically recorded MD and the original CD. Close, but I consistantly feel that I hear a difference in dynamic range between the two. This difference is enough to make my listening experience knowingly less satifying, despite the portable advantages of MD. That "knowing" makes hauling around more cumbersome listening equipment still worthwhile. Perhaps this is what Audio&Me is really saying but not quite articulating (?).

BTW, mp3s aren't even in the same ballpark - garbage, IMHO.

Mar 5, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 38
I thought the thread started as a joke, so i didn't take audio&me seriously. I have to agree, the presentation of the photos do make it look like junk.

I listened to a MD player back in like 1992. My friend bought one from taiwan and optically recorded all his CD's with his fancy CD player (pretty disgusting back then because the equipment was so expensive). I was not impressed by the fidelity of the MD player back then, but the size of the player was really small. I thought DAT was the future back then.
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

jpelg - you're correct, except I find the difference more than subtle.

And just what ATRAC version were you listening to exactly? If you were listening to something Sony came out with 5 years ago and never bothered to listen to another MD ever again, well duh, of course the difference will be "more than subtle". And let me guess, when you say "more than subtle", you were probably listening to the CD on a Linn Sondek while listening to the MD on some portable recorder or player, or something like that, noh?
rolleyes.gif

I'd like to see you describe the audible differences between a CD and a MD recording of the CD if I blind tested you in a park, in the middle of a noisy road, using portable type headphones. Fact of the matter is, MD is meant to be a portable medium. If you buy into a portable medium at all, a loss in quality is going to be there, which will only be increased in a real world portable environment. To disqualify MDs as a useless medium in a real world portable environment because of some numbers on a chart comparing them to CDs in a sound proof test lab makes no sense to me. Unless you are willing to lug a seperate 50lbs transport and DAC with $500 worth of cabling between them in a pull along suitcase, I think MDs are about as good as it gets.

Maybe you don't listen portably at all. I mean, my 9000ES obviously provides a "more than subtle" difference from any PCDP out there. So maybe CDs are all junk too.

cola: where exactly is that store in China? Next time I'm back in China, I'm finding that store and buying one of each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back