Oh My God! Welcome to Grado Facility...
Sep 25, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #76 of 87
WTB: Maddox article about immigrants "stealing" jobs.

I think the headphones thrown in a pile and not even "stacked" in that pic with the 2 boxes, plus the wooden cups just seemingly negligently thrown together looks quite sloppy also, especially considering what they cost.
If I paid premium for a headphone like that, I certainly wouldn't want any chance of the wood being chipped/damaged before I even had a chance to lay hands on it for the simple reason that they were carelessly thrown together in a pile in a cardboard box.

As for the worker, perhaps the isolation is needed if the nearby environments are too loud to wear Grados, or maybe they simply aren't allowed because they leak too much for the working space (heh).
I don't see the problem with her wearing another company's earphones, Grado doesn't make IEMs after all, and they are known for their sub-optimal comfort.

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #77 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is not racism, thats called having an opinion on something that happens to involve the mention of blacks, whites, hispanics etc

NOT racism

dont censor normal talk with the race card.

mad.gif

Eh....implicating all Latinos as being illegal immigrants is racist.....period! Racism is stereotyping and generalizing an ethnic group as using their race as a chef characteristic for their socio-economic status.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that doesnt mean i am racist. i have polish cousins and wish no ill speak of them, it just happens to be the case that it would be nice if locals could get local jobs!!!!

That's actually how racism for African Americans, Jews, Irish, Germans, etc all started here (each racial group had to endure the "They're taking our jobs!" slogans). Not weighing into the fact that they might have the skills for such jobs or are willing to work for less....it's too much stereotyping/ generalizing to blame all "Polls" or "Hispanics".

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #78 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least they are made in the US...... Would be nicer if Americans were making them. I can 99% garauntee that they aren't true american citizens as Americans of hispanic descent don't work for less than white or black Americans. Basically what I am saying is it would be like most audiophiles dream to get a job for a company like that sadly we will never even get our foot in the door.

Kind of defeats the whole made in America thing huh. Just my opinion anyway. I have a feeling this thread will be locked very soon with all this crazy non headphone talk!

Most men are to ham-fisted and slow to do this kind of delicate assembly work efficiently. I somehow doubt Grado uses illegal workers, BTW. Are you of american indian decent, BTW? ("True")

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #79 of 87
Ruckus, your opinions are wholly ignorant, and you seem to be unable to listen to others' opinions, and instead resort to shouting yours at an increasing volume.

Let me put this in simple words for you: Please shut up.

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #80 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you are just trolling?
Or maybe you are really as dumb as you sound?
Let's hope it's the first.

I have noticed that on most threads....Ruckus just likes to.....well raise a ruckus! Since he never seems to reason in any of his arguments, I don't know if he's really that ignorant/foolish.....or just entertaining us
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #81 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed that on most threads....Ruckus just likes to.....well raise a ruckus! Since he never seems to reason in any of his arguments, I don't know if he's really that ignorant/foolish.....or just entertaining us
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

A troll it is then.
Of course, that, unfortunately, doesn't exclude being daft as well.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #82 of 87
I'm Hispanic, American naturalized, and I can guarantee you that those people in that picture are all hispanics, maybe not illegal, as to call "la Migra" to get them, but they are certainly hispanics...all of them...Not stange at all, as we are very numerous in this area...
wink.gif

Now on another delicate topic, knowing how we are paid here in US, I can not bet my life, but I will be really really surprised, if any of those guys and gals, are making $10.00 an hour in the middle of Brooklin, NY, (I would like to know or sure, but unfortunatelly that is not of a plublic domain, so we can only speculate) But also if this is the case, if this is not racism, is borderline as well...so please do not blame others for what is becomming a real problem in our sociaty nowdays, and from all sides...unfortunatelly for us the legal inmigrants, and the native american...

OTH it is true that I do not know if you can find too many american born, citizens of any race, with that qualification, that will accept to work for them for that pay, that is not a secret for anybody neither, and if someone wants to ignore that fact, welcome to the dreamers ball....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #83 of 87
Grado "Made by latin Americans"
wink.gif

john_withKids2005.jpg

some could say that the children of John they are Latin half
also?
blink.gif

not racism please!

I have admiration by the artisan things, prefer thousand times somewhat handmade with affection.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #84 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ruckus, your opinions are wholly ignorant, and you seem to be unable to listen to others' opinions, and instead resort to shouting yours at an increasing volume.

Let me put this in simple words for you: Please shut up.

I think Rukus has some valid points, Grado has been making headphones on the mass for about 17 years now and from the interview with John Grado, I sense he is not a very technical person, more hocus pocus than anything else as he is hesistant to change machinery or plastics thinking it would impede on the Grado sound ....LoL what a bunch of crock !

Here is a pic of the plant floor of a 7 year old family runned SMT contract business that I provided consultation services on QA for, it barely meets my standards for a proper SMT shop :

plant_overview.jpg

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #85 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccontreras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado "Made by latin Americans"
wink.gif

Better as the slogan says "Proudly made in USA"

But by non Americans, and that is the part that most of the times is missing in the slogan...Actually the only thing most of the times they can be proud of, is to have the building in US...period...more or less...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #86 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better as the slogan says "Proudly made in USA"

But by non Americans, and that is the part that most of the times is missing in the slogan...Actually the only thing most of the times they can be proud of, is to have the building in US...period...more or less...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

In all fairness, all of those people seen in the pictures, if they're legal immigrants are just as much Americans as you or I. That's what this country was built upon. Immigrants.

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #87 of 87
This thread has been reported, and requests have been made that I look at it. I think this thread has run its course. Some people find the Grado Labs HQ charming, some don't. I am one of the ones that does find it charming, but mostly because the products I've purchased that have been made at that lab have served me well, and even helped get me more seriously into the hobby. Even before Grado Labs made headphones, I, as a teenager, proudly sold Grado Labs phono cartridges to many customers, as a teenager working in a high-end hi-fi store. I've owned the Grado SR-60, SR-80, SR-325, HF-1, HP-1 (from the Joe Grado era), and GS-1000, and all have served me with awesome sound, with the GS-1000 being one of my current reference headphones. The thing is is that I'm obviously not alone, as the Grado fans at Head-Fi.org number in the thousands, if not the tens of thousands.

John Grado is proud enough of his operations to have hosted Meets at Grado HQ (I believe he's hosted several), to welcome Head-Fi'ers in for visits, and to allow the website who covered this particular tour in to take photos and write about it. If what you see is enough to make you not buy a Grado product, then that's your choice, and I won't argue with you. But what I see is a place that does things in what is obviously, and unabashedly, a rather old-fashioned way, yet manages to turn out products that remain the favorites of hundreds of thousands of people around the world, versus products made in facilities that could reasonably be called much more modern or state of the art. I've been to one super-state-of-the-art facility in Europe that makes high-end headphones that are also among my favorite models (and many thousands here, too), and yet there are many here who'll take those Brooklyn-born cans over them any day.

Why I'm closing this thread is because I'm seeing rather pointless speculation about the wages and ethnicity of the workers in the photos. I don't know--nor do I care--what their ethnic backgrounds are. I have no idea how much they're paid. I do know that they turn out products that hundreds of thousands of people around the world love to listen to, including some of the most discerning audio enthusiasts in our community and in the audiophile community at large. And whether or not you like what you see in the photos, John Grado seems more than proud enough of what's in there and what goes on in there to welcome us in as guests when we're around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back