Oh look, an AE-2 !
Jan 29, 2007 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

calcajun

100+ Head-Fier
This would be brushed copper with polished copper knob and yellow led.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Bottomcopy.jpg

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 53
Very, Very Nice -- and hardy CONGRATS!!! Lovely. (It would be fun to see a portable with a real, solid copper finish -- like TJKurita's big Noise Outlaw Audio "Duality" 300B amp.)

I very much look forward to your impressions.

I heard two prototypes at the last NYC Area meet and was very impressed at the improvements over the AE-1. I'm sure Justin will have tweaked the sound even further with the final production units.

The prototypes had beautifully contiguous freqeuncy spectrums, clear/smooth sound with excellent extension and presented ease and air, of course great soundstage width, and excellent presentation of instruments and voices -- very "natural" and much more consistent than with AE-1. The old mid-bass hump was gone, and there's zero hiss with my ES2 IEMs.

I, unfortunately, got to the meet just before it ended and could only spend a short time with them, so I'll enjoy the new amp vicariously, for now, via owner comments.

I wonder how many lovely and unique finishes Justin will be offering. (Of course I'll check his site.)

Congrats to Justin as well for a model 2 very well done, and very musical indeed. I'm sure many new owners will expand on this from their personal experiences.

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 53
I had an AE-1 which I enjoyed tremendously, at the time it got 150 hours of run time with its batteries and it was built like a tank. I wonder how this one sounds like? I would get it in black or blue.

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very, Very Nice -- and hardy CONGRATS!!! Lovely. (It would be fun to see a portable with a real, solid copper finish -- like TJKurita's big custom amp.)

I very much look forward to your impressions.

I heard two prototypes at the last NYC Area meet and was very impressed at the improvements over the AE-1. I'm sure Justin will have tweaked the sound even further with the final production units.

The prototypes had beautifully contiguous freqeuncy spectrums, clear/smooth sound with excellent extension and presented ease and air, of course great soundstage width, and excellent presentation of instruments and voices -- very "natural" and much more consistent than with AE-1. The old mid-bass hump was gone, and there's zero hiss with my ES2 IEMs.

I, unfortunately, got to the meet just before it ended and could only spend a short time with them, so I'll enjoy the new amp vicariously, for now, via owner comments.

I wonder how many lovely and unique finishes Justin will be offering. (Of course I'll check his site.)

Congrats to Justin as well for a model 2 very well done, and very musical indeed. I'm sure many new owners will expand on this from their personal experiences.

Does it hold its own sonically with the PV2 maxxed? I know it's 100.00 more.. I'm getting away from ports, but they are easy to bring over to my friends house.. Trying to convert him to the darkside..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 53
someone call Mercuttio! this is the amp to go with his ChocoZune!

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I chose this color and yellow led in hopes that not many others would.

Hmm this is true, many folks might use a Zune as a source. Perhaps this Bakelite Tube Radio instead? It still color coordinates!
74fd_1.JPG

Honestly, I would use this in the office if I didn't think someone would steal it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it hold its own sonically with the PV2 maxxed? I know it's 100.00 more.. I'm getting away from ports, but they are easy to bring over to my friends house.. Trying to convert him to the darkside..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Can't say yet, since those 2 units were prototypes -- and Justin said he "threw them together" [paraphrased] just in time to bring to the meet -- and big ups to him for managing it. It was great to meet him and hear his good works -- and nicely crafted/finished, too.

From what I heard it certainly holds it own. It's a very different sound from my Portaphile Maxxed, and I don't think "better" applies to either. In some respects, based on my very inadequate listening time, it may have a bit in common with both the SR-71 and the PRII (both wonderful amps, among those at the top of the heap) -- if only in terms of smooth/balanced spectrum, and wide/relaxed presentation. I'd better stop. I have no idea what the final version sounds like, so I'll have to wait until I hear one. I can safely say now that I was not a big fan of the AE-1, and to my tastes I felt there some sonic flaws that I couldn't live with -- pronounced mid-bass hump that I felt intruded into the mids, a somewhat discontiguous spectrum, and a few other things -- all of which have been eliminated with the AE-2, and I willing to say, just based on the prototypes, that I am definitely an admirer of the AE-2. I think you can tell by my positive and enthusiastic notes, which I wouldn't offer if I didn't mean it.

Of course it's bigger than the Portaphile and Hornet, and I like tiny portables (…ah, yes -- I treasure my diminutive Tomahawk, too…). The Portaphile has a unique layered imaging and great definition and detail that I like -- so it's largely a matter of personal preference what sound one chooses. It has the flexible features of the Hornet in terms of switchable gain and charging [EDIT: and of course RCA IN/LOOP option]. Of course the Hornet is tiny, with big/punchy bass and great soundspace dimension, so of course those things float my boat. The AE-2 is really nice to see and hold, and ya gotta love the big knob (tactile fixation...). The AE-1 fans are going to be really happy with the AE-2.

You'll have to hear these amps for yourself and then decide which is the one you feel will convert your friends. An amp has to excite your ears and heart before you can convince anyone else. Doesn't really matter what I think or feel. I can just offer teasers and hints. I was just a fleeting (if admiring) observer -- and in this case, it's the real owners who will have to step forward, when the time comes.

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone call Mercuttio! this is the amp to go with his ChocoZune!

Ha! Excellent. Taunt him 'til he gets one.

Jan 29, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 53
Well, this is my portable amp but right out the box fed by my apogee and listening with my Grados it is awesome. I am sure once i listen to it for a while i will find the Extreme will top it though. :)

But this is my portable for carrying round. Since i did have an AE-2 for the last two months i was acustomed to it's sound and again think i made a good choice as my one and only portable amp. The grados are a bit bright through it. But then for portable listening i will be using Sen px100 till maybe i find something else.

With source pc digital out and apogee Mini-Dac turned on, listening with grados, I turn the volume all the way up on the HeadAmp AE-2 and all i hear is
silent quiet goodness.

Jan 29, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 53
Question for you calcajun: can you confirm that the RCA jacks act as a loop out for the mini jack and vice versa?

Just noticed, serial #19? Wow more people put in pre-orders than I thought! I should've pre-ordered one too...
frown.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 53
Beautiful, I especially like the touch of having a choice of RCA or miniplug inputs, and that simultaneously acting as a loop out as well. Very cunning. Presumably just connected internally.

Jan 29, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 53
I'd like to hear one of these. I'm in the market for a new portable for my e500's and would like to hear a contender against the Hornet-M and others of it's class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back