Oh Gosh...My Mom thinks Bose = Best; RANT
Dec 24, 2004 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

Headphoneus Supremus
[RANT=450]So we're looking at some cars - Volkswagen Tourag (which is overpriced IMO), Infiniti FX3/45, Lexus GX/LX - and the Mark Levinson name pops up on the Lexus site. Somehow, I start rambling about how Bose is beaten by Mark Levinson and contrary to popular belif, Bose isn't the best and not good at all in some respects. She then says, "Bose is good, millions of people are buying Bose, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good". And here I thought she knew more about marketing than my classmates. So much for that concept...

At least this isn't as bad as the guy who said Infinity (the audio one) uses crappy quality parts to build their speakers, and that Bose is far, far superior. Well, at least he hates Bose headphones. But he's never heard of Sennheiser, and he thinks because he hasn't heard of them, they suck. Stupid Juniors*
icon10.gif
(High School)!

I'm fed up with people not understanding that a flashy ad/product doesn't mean its good/better. Come on, KSC-35/75's are wayyy better than those iPod buds (and KSC-35's aren't from the trash/5 bucks either). MP3 (and all lossy formats) at something like 128 isn't better than CD. Ever. And yes, CD IS digital, its not analog because its spinning. Vinyl CAN and often DOES sound better.

I LOATHE being the intellectual at our school. Example: I have been talking about the upcoming stuff (DS, PSP) for a while now. Whatever they're drooling about now, I've been looking at for a year or two (in the most extreme cases). My philosopical and analitcal nature really hurts me sometimes. I try to look at things in a different and inventive way...and I get ridiculed for that. Makes me wonder why I even come in 50 feet of these cretins.

I write with a lot of vocabulary words in my reports and things, and I also write with detail. Some kids usually end up getting a hold of my paper and then laughing at it for the rest of the week (they thought motif was motive, etc.). I'm small, timid, and very respectful of others. I don't like to fight back when not needed.

I detest my 9th grade class...[/RANT]

[size=x-small]FIN[/size]

[size=xx-small]*Just kidding guys![/size]

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 106
Same thing here. My parents love bose. They think its just great. They have two radio's and my dad has some triports. I always try to tell them that bose isnt all that great, but they just look at me like I'm an idiot.

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 106
Yeah, I know the feeling... there's a guy at my work that has a Bose "audio system" in his house and wears a Bose shirt around proudly, like a badge of honor. And... get this... he refuses to come over to my house to listen to my home theater system (mid-level Infinity), which cost significantly less than his. I'm not sure if he's that convinced that his equipment is the best, or if he knows that he wasted his money and has attempted to bury that fact somewhere and ignore it. People are going to want to believe what they want to believe about stuff. It's hard for science and objective listening to overcome the Bose marketing brigade.

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
You're in 9th grade???
eek.gif

How come you are not in some school for the "geniuses" or something? I know several kids in these "fast-path" programs...

Why? Do I sound older than I should? I'm 14 if that matters any.

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
TRAITOR!!! BURN THE TRAITOR!!
evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

Sometimes you need to get paid.
tongue.gif

Also, if anyone else hasn't said it yet, Ignorance is Bliss.

EDIT: Being a smart kid sucks. I was in one of those crappy elementary school "prodigy in training" type classes, cause I scored high on the yearly standardized test. (I didn't tell my parents, didn't want to get their hopes up for me) The other kids were snobby a-holes, who came from "good" families. I got kicked out cause I stopped showing up and didn't "fit in", screw them I say. I stopped being the smart kid in later years, and made a lot more friends and got more respect. Wierd s**t, ain't it?

Dec 24, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 106
My parents have a Bose set up in their Infiniti I35; I figured with an 8" sub it would have a nice tight and musical bass; however, it is quite the opposite. it is very slow and sloppy sub. To be honest I much prefer the stock speakers in their Mercury Villiager.

Dec 24, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #13 of 106
450 your maturity is amazing for someone your age. I never suspected you were so young.

I say just show your mom this thread (and the dozens more like it here and on every other audio related forum). If she can raise an intellectual like yourself I'm sure she'll listen to reason.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #14 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
EDIT: Being a smart kid sucks. I was in one of those crappy elementary school "prodigy in training" type classes, cause I scored high on the yearly standardized test. (I didn't tell my parents, didn't want to get their hopes up for me) The other kids were snobby a-holes, who came from "good" families. I got kicked out cause I stopped showing up and didn't "fit in", screw them I say. I stopped being the smart kid in later years, and made a lot more friends and got more respect. Wierd s**t, ain't it?

Anti-intellectualism of modern day America?

Dec 24, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
[RANT=450]So we're looking at some cars - Volkswagen Tourag (which is overpriced IMO), Infiniti FX3/45, Lexus GX/LX - and the Mark Levinson name pops up on the Lexus site. Somehow, I start rambling about how Bose is beaten by Mark Levinson and contrary to popular belif, Bose isn't the best and not good at all in some respects. She then says, "Bose is good, millions of people are buying Bose, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good". And here I thought she knew more about marketing than my classmates. So much for that concept...

At least this isn't as bad as the guy who said Infinity (the audio one) uses crappy quality parts to build their speakers, and that Bose is far, far superior. Well, at least he hates Bose headphones. But he's never heard of Sennheiser, and he thinks because he hasn't heard of them, they suck. Stupid Juniors*
icon10.gif
(High School)!

I'm fed up with people not understanding that a flashy ad/product doesn't mean its good/better. Come on, KSC-35/75's are wayyy better than those iPod buds (and KSC-35's aren't from the trash/5 bucks either). MP3 (and all lossy formats) at something like 128 isn't better than CD. Ever. And yes, CD IS digital, its not analog because its spinning. Vinyl CAN and often DOES sound better.

I LOATHE being the intellectual at our school. Example: I have been talking about the upcoming stuff (DS, PSP) for a while now. Whatever they're drooling about now, I've been looking at for a year or two (in the most extreme cases). My philosopical and analitcal nature really hurts me sometimes. I try to look at things in a different and inventive way...and I get ridiculed for that. Makes me wonder why I even come in 50 feet of these cretins.

I write with a lot of vocabulary words in my reports and things, and I also write with detail. Some kids usually end up getting a hold of my paper and then laughing at it for the rest of the week (they thought motif was motive, etc.). I'm small, timid, and very respectful of others. I don't like to fight back when not needed.

I detest my 9th grade class...[/RANT]

[size=x-small]FIN[/size]

[size=xx-small]*Just kidding guys![/size]

Ah, and the, "I'm the smartest" pretension battles begin again on head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back