Oh dear... Another contender: Storm STB4
Mar 23, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never cared for 2227, but can't tell how this — or anything — sounds without hearing it. Maybe someone will buy one and bring it to HeadFest? ("burned in", of course…)

x2... the 2227 has a kind of hollow / cold sound (IMHO), At least in my cmoys. On the other hand most BUF634 circuits Ive heard can sound a bit forward/bright. So maybe they will work well together. Of course the raw parts by themselves are no indication how they will sound together, implemented in the circuit.

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it a RSA Hornet knockoff? Shame Shame!

2 available on ebay... Hey Skylab\Mrarroyo, care to purchase and evaluate??
biggrin.gif

I bought one and it's here. Will listen to it this weekend
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

It's good to be da king.

goodkng2.jpg

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's good to be da king.

goodkng2.jpg

LOL! Or in my case, just a psycho...

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW! And I was just "kiddin'"....
blink.gif

I wasn't. It's great — now we get a couple of dedicated ears to analyzed it!

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Any initial impressions yet?

(-the impatient one)

Mar 23, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any initial impressions yet?

(-the impatient one)

Not many - it's well built, nice lloking, and certainly doesn't sound bad. But for $250 it better sound GREAT, and will be up against some steep competition in it's price range this weekend - the Xenos 1HA, the Portaphile V2^2, and the RSA Tohahawk...

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #25 of 53
I spend a little more time with it yesterday after some break-in. Full review coming, but this is a VERY good sounding little amp! Surprisingly so, really. I was expecting less. I don't like it's volume control, but sonically it's impressive.

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ehhh, it may just be an unfortunate choice of name, but I hope this has nothing to do with Storm Digital (see sticky on members lounge for the story)......

Fran

Definitely just a poor choice of name I am pretty sure. This amp is sold on EBay buy the same guy who sells iBasso amps.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 53
Here is the review I am adding to my portable amp round-up now:

> Storm B-4

(No web site that I know of – in the USA can be purchased for $250 from EBay member jasmine_chine whi imports them, email zhounk@hotmail.com).

I bought one of these from Jasmine_chine. I bought it direct, not via EBay, and it was a totally smooth transaction. This same EBay seller sells iBasso amps on EBay.

Since this amp isn’t well known and there is no web site, you can look at the EBay ad for specs Here

Build Quality: A-: It’s a very attractive, solid, well built amp. The volume control has a kind of scratchy feel to it, but it does not make audible noise through headphones when turned. I would give it a full A for build quality if not for that. Slight turn on “click”.
Treble: A-: The treble is very natural. There is just a hint of grain. I wouldn’t want any more treble energy, and with bright cans it might not be a great match. But in general the treble is extended and clean.
Midrange: A-: No one will confuse this for a tube amp, but the mids are open, clean, and natural. There is a very slight lack of transparency, but again performance is good.
Bass: A-: Not world class, but the bass is nonetheless very good. Good definition, speed, and clarity, and enough punch for everyone but the worst bass freaks.
Neutrality: A-: Very even sound – no real issues here..
Soundstaging: B+: Very good width, good depth. Again, not world-class, but better than most.
Transparency: B+: It doesn’t sound as open as the very best amps, but here again it is better than most. It isn’t as transparent as the RSA or Larocco amps, but its darned good.

The Storm B4 is a very well built amp that sounds very good. It ranks up in the top half of the amps I have heard. I think it would be a no-brainer recommendation at $200. At $250 it’s a little tougher. I slightly prefer the sound of the Xenos 1HA-EPC, although it’s bigger and heavier than the Storm. I also like the RSA Tomahawk better sonically, but the Storm has a built-in Ni-MH battery and comes with a charger. So in the end, this is a very nice amp, but in a price range where the competition is very tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back