Oh dear... Another contender: Storm STB4
Mar 30, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #32 of 53
Hehehe... Not sure it'll be killin' any giants with B's on it's report card!
basshead.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by sghound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lovely writeup Sky, looks like we have another GIANT KILLA!

how is this a giant killa? it's not that much cheaper than some of the more respected portables out there? At $250 I would spend the extra and get a hornet or a tomahawk knowing that it's built in the USA with extremely tight quality control.
Even the OP said it's a nice amp in a prive range where the competition is tough. It did not best either of the other amps it went up against.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #34 of 53
Yeah, I wouldn't call it a giant killer. It doesn't kill the "giants". But it's a very good amp.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I wouldn't call it a giant killer. It doesn't kill the "giants". But it's a very good amp.

sky-meister - i forget the term you've used to distinguish the top tier amps from other good but lesser amps, but does the storm have that special quailty?

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #36 of 53
as i see skylab gives ibasso p1 and storm b-4 the same notes in Soundstaging and Transparency. Maybe i have other ears, but for me the storm is much (MUCH) better then the ibasso (not only in this categories).

Mar 31, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mingus1955 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as i see skylab gives ibasso p1 and storm b-4 the same notes in Soundstaging and Transparency. Maybe i have other ears, but for me the storm is much (MUCH) better then the ibasso (not only in this categories).

There are only so many ways to describe these things
orphsmile.gif

I agree with you, though. While the iBasso P1 is a good amp, and an especially good bargain, the Storm is noticably better.

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab's ranking feels weird at times, kind of like he were compressing the differences between cheaper and more expensive third-party amps in order to protect his favourites on the top positions.
very_evil_smiley.gif

That is yet another silly accusation, Andrea. SIGH. Here we go again.

Let's take the Xenos, for example. I was stunned by the 1HA's performance, and I ranked it very high. I also had ranked the unknown (at the time) "Headphonia" very high, which was also a surprise to me.

Ranking good amps is difficult. The amps in the top 60% of my list are all very good sounding, and the differences get smaller and smaller. I have said a zillion times my rankings are just my opinion. Now I have said it again. You need to let the fact that you don't agree with me go, buddy.

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Too bad that I can't hear & compare Xenos, SR71 & Hornet M myself.

I totally agree! I would be truly interested in your report.

Anyway, to get back ON TOPIC, I want to re-iterate that the Storm B4 is a very good sounding amp. I am going to try to find out today what the battery life is like. The Storm is going to live in my "family" computer, with the Firestone FUBARII DAC, so on the occasions that I use the family computer I can have a good headphone amp there. Many of the amps I test I sell shortly afterward - but I am planning to keep the Storm.

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Back on topic: can you roll op-amps in the Storm?

Someone else will have to answer that question. I don't plan to take mine apart. I am a weird throwback in this regard - I enjoy tube rolling my tube amps, but I'm not into op-amp rolling. Hopefully someone else who has the STB4 can comment on that.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

And you call that an "original" styling? Referring to both amps.

My ONLY question is: "Augustus, when are you going to design and promote your amp???" .. In all seriousness you seem to have a good grasp of what topology an amp should have.. I'll be the first in line to purchase one!
600smile.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Nothing such is envisaged, sorry... I like to think that I devote myself to something more serious in life...or so I should be doing.
icon10.gif
600smile.gif

More than that, my sport is that of digging out the real "value for money" in commercial stuff, anyway.

Hahaha! Good luck with that! In this "hobby\sport" NOTHING is purchased at cost... Trust me! Just buy whatever your ears\heart\spirit tell you to buy and enjoy it!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #43 of 53
In Sky We Trust.

To me, it is not a stand alone review that determines how good an amp is, but how it compares to others.

Sky's reviews have saved us all countless time and money. People will always argue about the precision of the relative ranking. However, unless you can replicate his test setup with all his first hand experience, I would just say "Thanks for the review".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back