Oh Crikey! The crocodile hunter is Dead!
Sep 4, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #16 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
CNN's saying "through".

Yeah, I'm guessing that's a typo or just bad grammar. Unless it was a Stingray with a one foot stinger.
eek.gif

-Ed

Sep 4, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #17 of 104
Quote:

Not through his chest, but he was stung in the chest.

The link I posted said that it went through his chest and into his heart.

Quote:

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest and reportedly into his heart .

Sep 4, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #19 of 104
But... he can't die. He's just too full of cool and win.

frown.gif

Sep 4, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 104
I'm sorry to read of Irwin's passing.

As for the stingray sting: Reading of the possibility that the sting went through his chest was surprising to me (probably because I know little of stingrays). Here is an article....

http://www.potamotrygon.de/fremdes/s...%20article.htm

....and a quote from another article that reads Quote:

....Never underestimate the penetrating ability of a stingray’s barb, even on the smallest of stingrays. The stingray’s barb is designed to penetrate virtually all sorts of dense materials, including wood and leather. And as unbelievable as it may seem, it’s been documented that large stingrays are able to drive a barb through a boat’s wooden planks or completely through a persons arm or leg....

Remarkable. I had no idea. Though I've not had occasion to swim with stingrays yet, I don't think I'll seek it out either.

Again, I'm sorry to read of Steve Irwin's death.

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #22 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Yeah, my first thought was for his wife, who most likely was there filming with him. Well, she did the Hunter shows with him anyway.

First Grizzly Man now this. It appears that nature is fighting back.

His wife is supposedly on a remote hike - the rest of the world will know of Irwin's death before she does, which is very sad.
frown.gif

Edit: Nevermind, the news article has been updated since the last time I saw it.

Quote:

His American-born wife, Terri, was hiking in Tasmania when she learned of his death Monday.

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #24 of 104
I'm concerned about how the public perception of stingrays will change as a result of this tragedy. Describing it as a "freak" accident seems totally appropriate in my experience.

Over the years, there have literally been millions of visitors to Cayman's Stingray City. Never once has there been a reported incident of a sting. The tour boat operators claim that you would literally have to be trying to kill one of the stingrays to get attacked. Even little kids can pick them up out of the water and hold them up for photos (you're standing in waist high water on a sandbar in the middle of the ocean, but it's reef protected and the waters are calm).

Mind you, the stingrays in Cayman are quite docile because they are extremely overfed. At any given moment, there are 10 to 40 boats out there, and 200-1,000 people in the water, each of whom has been given bits of squid to feed the rays. They are the most gentle creatures you can ever imagine, and just swim up to you and suck the food right out of your hand. If you tease them by holding on to the squid for too long, they will simply move on to the next person.

It remains to be seen what the actual facts were in this case. Knowing this guy's history and his love of dramatic effect, there is no doubt in my mind that he was pushing the stingrays to their limits. I don't want to speculate, but he had to be poking and prodding them, or they would have left him alone.

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #25 of 104
Steve will be missed dearly. I will miss his contributions to nature, preservation, and his kind and intriguing presentation.
Good man. Nature took him in early in his life, nature took him at the end.
RIP Mr. Irwin

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #26 of 104
Oh man, this is so horrible. I've seen him on TV and in videos so many times. It's just too weird to imagine that he won't be among us anymore. My mind still can't believe it.

frown.gif

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #28 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Yeah, my first thought was for his wife, who most likely was there filming with him. Well, she did the Hunter shows with him anyway.

First Grizzly Man now this. It appears that nature is fighting back.

Timothy Treadwell played with fire and paid the price. He was insane...

Found this...

Witnesses and emergency officials said the freak accident happened while Irwin, 44, was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas in northern Queensland.

"Steve was hit by a stingray in the chest," said local diving operator Steve Edmondson, whose Poseidon boats were out on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident occurred.

A helicopter rushed paramedics to nearby Low Isles where Irwin was taken for treatment, but he was dead before they arrived, police said.

"He probably died from a cardiac arrest from the injury," Edmondson said.

Fellow-Australian wildlife filmmaker David Ireland said he was shocked and saddened by Irwin's death, adding that a stingray's barb could be as deadly as a rifle bayonet.

"They have one or two barbs in the tails which are not only coated in toxic material but are also like a bayonet, like a bayonet on a rifle," he told Southern Cross Broadcasting radio.

"If it hits any vital organs it's as deadly as a bayonet," Ireland said.

An arrow will kill you quicker than a bullet will. Wonder if they have footage of the accident? Might shed some light.

Sep 4, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #29 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I'm concerned about how the public perception of stingrays will change as a result of this tragedy. Describing it as a "freak" accident seems totally appropriate in my experience.

This website says there are 5,000 stingray injuries a year in the U.S.

http://www.jerrylabella.com/stingray.html

Another site tells us: In Colombia, health authorities register more than 2,000 cases of
freshwater stingray incidents annually. Over a five year period in one small local hospital
there were eight deaths, 23 amputations of lower limbs, and 114 other cases
where victims were unable to work. Native people in South America where these fish are found are absolutely terrified by them, considering the often casual attitudes towards the vast number of other dangerous creatures in their realm.

But I'm sure getting it in the chest is "freak". As this story suggests:

>Passive stingrays can be deadly
By Danny Rose and Jane Williams
Stingrays are considered passive creatures, but their venom and their barbed tails can be deadly, experts say. Even so, fatal attacks such as the one that killed television star and naturalist Steve Irwin are extrenely rare.
Irwin, 44, died today when a spear-like stingray barb pierced his chest while diving on the Great Barrier Reef, and it's believed he may have had a heart attack. Irwin's death was only the third known stingray death in Australian waters, said shark and stingray expert Victoria Brims from Oceanworld Manly, in Sydney.
Marine biologist Dr Meredith Peach said stingray attacks were uncommon.
"It is really quite unusual for divers to be stung, unless they are grappling with the animal and knowing Steve Irwin perhaps that may have been the case.
Dr Peach, the author of the website www.sharkchic.com.au, said there were more than 100 species on stingray in Australian waters - the largest measuring up to 2m across.
She said a much smaller stingray could still inflict a blow severe enough to pierce the chest.
Professor David Booth, a fish ecologist who dives regularly on the Great Barrier Reef, said being impaled by a stingray was a less common but still potentially deadly injury.
"Certainly the injuries I've seen have been penetrating wounds where someone has stepped on the animal," Prof Booth said today. "I've seen a horrible one when the spine went through a guy's leg muscle."
"But the big ones have enough inertia in their body that if you go near them they can whip their tail around and get you.
"The lashing involves the tail coming back over the body on the top side and they are pretty accurate with their spine."

Possibly passive, but I suppose they got the name STINGray someplace. Maybe the rays youre talking about are Skates, which don't have the same barbs. Poor steve.

Sep 4, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #30 of 104
Thanks for all the info. I'm really sad that someone had to go like that. I always thought that stingrays' sting only stung, but not penetrate like a knife. Maybe the stingray was hungry... It would only be appropriate for his family to decide whether to release footage of the incident (if there was any).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back