Offshoot Headphone Discussion HD800 / Focal / Speakers etc (ex Mojo thread)
Feb 18, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #31 of 48

The texture is smooth, but the treble can be very bright and splashy with some recordings. You need to listen to tons of music to hear what a headphone is really like.

The texture is smoothed out * 

There is very little texture I would say, all feels fuzzy and liquid with them (?) 

Also bass was slow for me. Really slow with slow decay. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #32 of 48

Impact is intensity. As long as the headphone doesn't distort at the desired intensity at the corresponding frequency, you get all the impact you want. A limitation of dynamics inevitably would come with harmonic distortion. I don't know what impact you need, but for the music I listen to (death metal doesn't belong to it, but some progressive metal and DnB), all of my four main headphones deliver realistic impact. They're equalized for realism, not maximum bass quantity, though. The Abyss would most likely overshoot the mark for me, as it shows a distinct accentuation of the range between 25 and 50 Hz (I even have to tame the bass for my HE1000). The TH900 is out of question with its broad bass hump up to 10 dB above midrange level.

Well, when I heard the Abyss, HE6, HE1000, and HD 800 on the 430HAD, they had almost zero impact whatsoever. Same goes for the HD 800 on the Mojo. I'm guessing "realistic impact" for you would feel like "not even impact in the first place" for me. And I guess I might have to use a more exotic amp to get the type of impact I want. (Many Abyss and HE6 owners say that you need certain speaker amps to get that.)

Turning up the volume and not having distortion is not impact. Impact is explosive power that you feel. I want to jump up in shock because I can't believe how hard it hits and how realistic it sounds, like I'm standing next to the performers, or at least as much as possible in the context of headphones. (My definition of impact seems to be different from some. Some describe impact in relation to soft sounds like pianos, but for me, that's just microdynamic snap and has nothing to do with impact.)

I want to emphasize that bass impact is only one aspect of impact. I care more about upper frequency impact, like feeling drum hits.

Snare drums in real life can hit so hard that you need to wear ear plugs to prevent hearing damage. Headphones tend not to hit hard like that.

Look at these TH900 measurements. The bass is only boosted by a few decibels. (I know the InnerFidelity measurements are slightly different.)

http://en.goldenears.net/17034

Driven from the Chord Mojo (or Schiit Fulla) and without EQ, the TH900 sounds very gentle and has weak impact, mainly due to the biocellulose drivers. But if you boost the bass to extreme levels, that changes. It's ranked #2 in the extreme bass thread because it has such strong bass impact when you boost the bass like that. As for upper frequencies, it's weaker than average when it comes to impact.

It's very clear to me that the impact you're talking about is the result of a corresponding accentuation. There's nothing that keeps an ultra-low-mass membrane like the HE1000's from reacting quickly and unrestrictedly to dynamic impulses – otherwise it would show harmonic distortion. I guess what you're looking for is the sonic impact of bass drums approaching the intensity of a live concert while the over-all volume level is still at somewhat safer levels for hearing protection. Moreover, with the «feel» argument you're ignoring the fact that open headphones can't provide physical impact. Nor can your SR-207. If you want it, then you indeed need (bass-heavy) closed headphones.

The HE1000's «slowness» is the result of its original tuning; adequately equalized (and recabled) it becomes really punchy and alive. The same goes for the HD 800. Your TH900 is far from neutral – that's what I take from the measurements and the many comments on Head-Fi – it is a bass monster, as the Inner Fidelity graphs show. If you just take Inner Fidelity measurements as a reference, it stands out with its bass accentuation. So it's quite a leap from your so-called neutral SR-207 to the now TH900 as the new reference.
wink.gif

However, to each his own!

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #33 of 48

The texture is smooth, but the treble can be very bright and splashy with some recordings. You need to listen to tons of music to hear what a headphone is really like.

The texture is smoothed out * 

There is very little texture I would say, all feels fuzzy and liquid with them (?) 

Also bass was slow for me. Really slow with slow decay. 

Well then, sorry for my NightOwl recommendation! Now I vaguely remember that you've already criticized the NightHawk for above traits. It's astonishing that such a characteristic is Rob Watts' sonic reference for the development of his DACs!

But there's another possibility: Maybe you're just used to an aggressive and harsh sound, even need it for your kind of music. The first time after I got the DAVE I had some similar reactions, since it sounded a bit too smooth for Jimi Hendrix's raw power – the Hugo's reproduction reminded more of a live concert than the DAVE's. However, this has turned out as a matter of getting used to the higher resolution.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #34 of 48
  It's very clear to me that the impact you're talking about is the result of a corresponding accentuation. There's nothing that keeps an ultra-low-mass membrane like the HE1000's from reacting quickly and unrestrictedly to dynamic impulses – otherwise it would show harmonic distortion. I guess what you're looking for is the sonic impact of bass drums approaching the intensity of a live concert while the over-all volume level is still at somewhat safer levels for hearing protection. Moreover, with the «feel» argument you're ignoring the fact that open headphones can't provide physical impact. Nor can your SR-207. If you want it, then you indeed need (bass-heavy) closed headphones.

The HE1000's «slowness» is the result of its original tuning; adequately equalized (and recabled) it becomes really punchy and alive. The same goes for the HD 800. Your TH900 is far from neutral – that's what I take from the measurements and the many comments on Head-Fi – it is a bass monster, as the Inner Fidelity graphs show. If you just take Inner Fidelity measurements as a reference, it stands out with its bass accentuation. So it's quite a leap from your so-called neutral SR-207 to the now TH900 as the new reference.
wink.gif

I keep saying snare drums (as an example) over and over, and people keep thinking I'm talking about just bass when I say impact... You don't need a bass-heavy headphone for upper frequency impact.

Slam your fist against a desk as hard as you can. That is impact. The type of impact headphones typically do is more like tiny little clicking sounds. That's not impact as far as I am concerned. I can turn the volume up to a point where it's uncomfortable and that still may not give me real impact with some headphones. When you're next to real instruments, they have far greater impact at the same volume level as the headphones that have such weak impact that I can barely feel it. I want it to sound as close to real life as possible.

Oh, wait, you just admitted that open headphones can't provide physical impact. But...are you sure? (Because some say the Abyss and HE6 hit harder than closed headphones under the right conditions.) And doesn't that contradict what you just said about there being nothing stopping the HE1000 from yada yada?

And actually...the 207 had realistic impact every once in awhile.

I never said the TH900 was a reference. What? I already said the TH900 sounds very soft and gentle in stock form due to the biocellulose drivers. Don't tell me how it sounds. I have it right here next to me. The quantity of the bass is a little higher than neutral, but the impact is weaker than it normally would be, and that goes for other frequencies too. (Sometimes snares that should hit hard are soft and in the background with this headphone.) If you boost the bass to more extreme levels, it does hit harder, but without EQ, it is not a bass monster, and not even close to basshead levels. Sure, it's not neutral (neither are the HD 800 and HE1000, hence the need for EQ), but it is still an audiophile headphone; just with a more V-shaped tuning.

Anyway...it's pretty ironic that my Koss KTXPRO1 (which costs $15 or so) has far stronger impact than so many headphones that cost many times more. I guess you could say it cheats by being semi-open and on-ear. Since the sounds are closer together and they have a more pressurized chamber, it makes things easier for it. In terms of impact, it feels a lot more like the instruments are next to me whereas most open over-ears feel like the instruments are much further away even when the volume is such that they sound like they're close...if that makes sense.

On a side note...since you mentioned the Porta Pro via PM earlier...I got one for myself. I actually use it for videos since it's the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. But the sound is like a lo-fi version of the KTXPRO1. I swapped the drivers and the results are: KTX > PP drivers on KTX frame > PP > KTX drivers on PP frame.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #35 of 48

wink.gif

I keep saying snare drums (as an example) over and over, and people keep thinking I'm talking about just bass when I say impact... You don't need a bass-heavy headphone for upper frequency impact.

Slam your fist against a desk as hard as you can. That is impact. The type of impact headphones typically do is more like tiny little clicking sounds. That's not impact as far as I am concerned. I can turn the volume up to a point where it's uncomfortable and that still may not give me real impact with some headphones. When you're next to real instruments, they have far greater impact. I want it to sound as close to real life as possible.

Oh, wait, you just admitted that open headphones can't provide physical impact. But...are you sure? Because some say the Abyss and HE6 hit harder than closed headphones under the right conditions.

I never said the TH900 was a reference. What? I already said the TH900 sounds very soft and gentle in stock form due to the biocellulose drivers. Don't tell me how it sounds. I have it right here next to me. The quantity of the bass is a little higher than neutral, but the impact is weaker than it normally would be, and that goes for other frequencies too. (Sometimes snares that should hit hard are soft and in the background with this headphone.) If you boost the bass to more extreme levels, it does hit harder, but without EQ, it is not a bass monster, and not even close to basshead levels. Sure, it's not neutral (neither are the HD 800 and HE1000, hence the need for EQ), but it is still an audiophile headphone; just with a slightly V-shaped tuning.

Anyway...it's pretty ironic that my Koss KTXPRO1 (which costs $15 or so) has far stronger impact than so many headphones that cost many times more. I guess you could say it cheats by being semi-open and on-ear. Since the sounds are closer together and they have a more pressurized chamber, it makes things easier for it. In terms of impact, it feels a lot more like the instruments are next to me whereas most open headphones feel like the instruments are much further away even when the volume is such that they sound like they're close...if that makes sense.

On a side note...since you mentioned the Porta Pro via PM earlier...I got one for myself. I actually use it for videos since it's the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. But the sound is like a lo-fi version of the KTXPRO1. I swapped the drivers and the results are: KTX > PP drivers on KTX frame > PP > KTX drivers on PP frame.

We could debate endlessly... With the Koss KTXPRO1 (similar to the PortaPro, right?) as a reference for impact you show me that we may have a different understanding or perception of impact. There's no way my PortaPro comes close to my equalized HD 800 or HE1000 in terms of impact. What it does have, however, is a «refreshing» rawness which may come across as lifelike with some raw music and corresponding recordings. I still say you don't have occupied yourself long and seriously enough with the HD 800 to appreciate its strenghts, although in the end it may still not have been for you. I for one couldn't live with a closed headphone (such as the TH900), as it is too much of a compromize in terms of resolution and spatial imaging. There's a reason why I had to modify the HD 800 – I'm sensitive to near-field reflections. And there's a reason why I have to equalize all my headphones as flat as it gets to my ears – it seems to me the purer the source signal (from DAVE in my case), the more revealing to colorations the chain gets.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #36 of 48
  We could debate endlessly... With the Koss KTXPRO1 (similar to the PortaPro, right?) as a reference for impact you show me that we may have a different understanding or perception of impact. There's no way my PortaPro comes close to my equalized HD 800 or HE1000 in terms of impact. What it does have, however, is a «refreshing» rawness which may come across as lifelike with some raw music and corresponding recordings. I still say you don't have occupied yourself long and seriously enough with the HD 800 to appreciate its strenghts, although in the end it may still not have been for you. I for one couldn't live with a closed headphone (such as the TH900), as it is too much of a compromize in terms of resolution and spatial imaging. There's a reason why I had to modify the HD 800 – I'm sensitive to near-field reflections. And there's a reason why I have to equalize all my headphones as flat as it gets to my ears – it seems to me the purer the source signal (from DAVE in my case), the more revealing to colorations the chain gets.

I never said anything about the Porta Pro having impact! lol. The KTXPRO1 sounds nothing like the Porta Pro. Consider actually listening to a headphone before judging it.

Get a KTXPRO1 and play this track at high volume, making sure to push the pads against your ears. It has far more impact than the unmodified HD 800. With the KTXPRO1, I can feel the drums hitting against my head, whereas with the HD 800, I barely feel them at all. (I tested this track on both the 430HAD and Mojo.)

Also, some people say the TH900's soundstage is as large or larger than most open headphones. Personally, I do not hear much difference in the literal soundstage size going from the KTXPRO1 to the HD 800 and TH900. They're all headphones, with the sound right next to your ears.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #37 of 48

wink.gif

I do know that TH900 is a bass monster and would agree that maybe both me and @Music Alchemist do like bass more than neutral. 

Well then, sorry for my NightOwl recommendation! Now I vaguely remember that you've already criticized the NightHawk for above traits. It's astonishing that such a characteristic is Rob Watts' sonic reference for the development of his DACs!

But there's another possibility: Maybe you're just used to an aggressive and harsh sound, even need it for your kind of music. The first time after I got the DAVE I had some similar reactions, since it sounded a bit too smooth for Jimi Hendrix's raw power – the Hugo's reproduction reminded more of a live concert than the DAVE's. However, this has turned out as a matter of getting used to the higher resolution.

To get kinda what I'm looking for, try to disable all EQ for ie800 , and listen with it connected straight to FiiO X5ii. That's the kinda sound that I would want from an full headphone, but with a wider and taller soundstage 
biggrin.gif

Just play with it for a while to imagine what kinda strange and colored sound I'm actually trying to obtain. I have a feeling that @Music Alchemist yearns for a similar sound. 

Exactly that sound. 

Also, don't worry. I keep saying this in most of times I write about sound - I am an odd one when it comes to my preferences. I was there when music was made, but I would never master it with anything else but something like ie800. 

The idea is that some bad things can happen if you master music with headphones that are too smooth for you. If you try to listen to this track, Siernia - Euphoria (really harsh metal), you will notice that cymbals are set waaay to high. The thing was that the audio master wanted a much brighter sound than their headphones / monitors had, so he bumped the treble a lot. Sirenia sounds clear and tingly on almost all headphones and IEMs, but it sounds bad - really bad - harsh and sibilant on an unequalized ie800. 

The track in discussion:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbxeyncxuwo4g4i/04%20-%20Euphoria.flac?dl=0

This is why I'm hunting a headphone that would satisfy my thirst for treble. 

Also, I do like the unequalized bass of ie800, so mostly a U shaped sound. 

Given NightHawk's sound, I do agree that they are an excellent choice if you want a reference sound - like Sennhesier HD380Pro is, while an unequalized HD800S might be too bright for a reference sound. But I do think that NightHawk is not up to HD800S in terms of technical sound, albeit they don't cost the same either.

The main headphone I'm eyeing, Signature Dj from Ultrasone has a smoother sound than I want, but I do have high hopes that most of it's THD is under 1% and that I will be able to equalize it for more treble though my Dj One Pro cannot be equalized for enough treble without some distortion / becoming quite sibilant / hissy. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #38 of 48
  I do know that TH900 is a bass monster and would agree that maybe both me and @Music Alchemist do like bass more than neutral. 

Without EQ, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x has far more overwhelming bass than the TH900. Quantity is only one factor.

I am both an audiophile and basshead. When in audiophile mode, I want as much accuracy as possible. In basshead mode, I just wanna crank the bass. haha

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #39 of 48

I never said anything about the Porta Pro having impact! lol. The KTXPRO1 sounds nothing like the Porta Pro. Consider actually listening to a headphone before judging it.

Get a KTXPRO1 and play this track at high volume, making sure to push the pads closer to your ears. It has far more impact than the unmodified HD 800.

Also, some people say the TH900's soundstage is as large or larger than most open headphones. Personally, I do not hear much difference in actual soundstage size going from the KTXPRO1 to the HD 800 and TH900. They're all headphones, with the sound right next to your ears.

So I take it the KTXPRO has excellent impact. That doesn't change the fact that the same applies to HD 800 and HE1000 when appropriately equalized – to my ears. On the other hand, it's even harder for me to reproduce how your SR-207 – as a typical electrostat – can beat the HD 800 in this respect. So I stick with my suspicion that we may have a different perception of impact.

Largeness of soundstage isn't the main concern for many interested in a lifelike reproduction, rather an accurate imaging of depth including instrument placement there – something closed headphones aren't capable of because of the amount of parasitic sound waves interacting with the direct sound, thus masking vital spatial cues. You don't seem to have a sense for that, so we're talking at cross purposes.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #40 of 48
  So I take it the KTXPRO has excellent impact. That doesn't change the fact that the same applies to HD 800 and HE1000 when appropriately equalized – to my ears. On the other hand, it's even harder for me to reproduce how your SR-207 – as a typical electrostat – can beat the HD 800 in this respect. So I stick with my suspicion that we may have a different perception of impact.

Largeness of soundstage isn't the main concern for many interested in a lifelike reproduction, rather an accurate imaging of depth including instrument placement there – something closed headphones aren't capable of because of the amount of parasitic sound waves interacting with the direct sound, thus masking vital spatial cues. You don't seem to have a sense for that, so we're talking at cross purposes.

(By the way, I edited that post you quoted.)

I equalized the HD 800 in every way I could think of, including using Sonarworks. With that test track, for example, I barely felt any impact with the HD 800 (whether from the 430HAD or Mojo), whereas I could strongly feel it with the KTXPRO1.

How do you define impact, if not an explosive sound that you feel?

There you go again making assumptions without hearing the headphone first...

Fair enough about the imaging. But some closed headphones are better than you may think.

Another assumption you made is that I do not have a sense for imaging. Really? Just because I didn't mention it?
rolleyes.gif

I also forgot to mention: the HD 800 and Elear have stronger upper frequency impact than the TH900. Actually, their entire sound has more physical presence than the TH900 and NightHawk, which by contrast are softer and smoother thanks to their biocellulose drivers.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #41 of 48

(By the way, I edited that post you quoted.)

I equalized the HD 800 in every way I could think of, including using Sonarworks. With that test track, for example, I barely felt any impact with the HD 800 (whether from the 430HAD or Mojo), whereas I could strongly feel it with the KTXPRO1.

How do you define impact, if not an explosive sound that you feel?

There you go again making assumptions without hearing the headphone first...

Fair enough about the imaging. But some closed headphones are better than you may think.

Another assumption you made is that I do not have a sense for imaging. Really? Just because I didn't mention it?
rolleyes.gif

I also forgot to mention: the HD 800 and Elear have stronger upper frequency impact than the TH900. Actually, their entire sound has more physical presence than the TH900 and NightHawk, which by contrast are softer and smoother thanks to their biocellulose drivers.

So finally we've got somewhere: HD 800 and Elear have stronger upper-frequency impact than the TH900. I would have wondered if it was the other way around. So I wasn't wrong with my assumption that the HD 800 lacked bass impact to your ears – that's what I remember you mentioning earlier.

Yes, explosive sound is what I understand with impact. But not necessarily feeling it – this will only happen with closed headphones, or maybe with some open dynamic headphones at extreme bass levels. Maybe that's why the equalized TH900 has become your reference in terms of «impact»? Also, a bass-heavy headphone equalized for more bass as reference for impact? If you're a basshead, it's only logical that the HD 800 won't satisfy you in this respect.

I still don't understand what you missed with the HD 800, say compared with the SR-207, when it comes to bass impact. The electrostat can impossibly beat an equalized HD 800 there. And as to higher frequencies: Most likely transients will sound even faster on the SR-207... but more impactful!? I really doubt I would perceive the same. However, I take it you've made this comparison out of your memory, not by direct comparison. One thing is still worth mentioning: my pair of HD 800 has a damping modification, which contributes quite a bit to an improved transient response. But as far as I recall, the original HD 800 has an impressive quality of impact, also at low frequencies (when equalized), which are barely affected by the damping mod, BTW.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #42 of 48
  So finally we've got somewhere: HD 800 and Elear have stronger upper-frequency impact than the TH900. I would have wondered if it was the other way around. So I wasn't wrong with my assumption that the HD 800 lacked bass impact to your ears – that's what I remember you mentioning earlier.

Yes, explosive sound is what I understand with impact. But not necessarily feeling it – this will only happen with closed headphones, or maybe with some open dynamic headphones at extreme bass levels. Maybe that's why the equalized TH900 has become your reference in terms of «impact»? Also, a bass-heavy headphone equalized for more bass as reference for impact? If you're a basshead, it's only logical that the HD 800 won't satisfy you in this respect.

I still don't understand what you missed with the HD 800, say compared with the SR-207, when it comes to bass impact. The electrostat can impossibly beat an equalized HD 800 there. And as to higher frequencies: Most likely transients will sound even faster on the SR-207... but more impactful!? I really doubt I would perceive the same. However, I take it you've made this comparison out of your memory, not by direct comparison. One thing is still worth mentioning: my pair of HD 800 has a damping modification, which contributes quite a bit to an improved transient response. But as far as I recall, the original HD 800 has an impressive quality of impact, also at low frequencies (when equalized), which are barely affected by the damping mod, BTW.

As I have stated more than once, the TH900 tends to be very soft with things like snare drums. Its bass impact is also pretty soft without EQ, even despite being boosted by a few decibels. And its entire texture is soft and smooth. I never said the equalized TH900 is my reference in terms of bass impact, and I never said it was my reference for anything at all either. Stop putting words in my mouth, please. All I said is that you can get stronger bass impact when you boost the bass.

Without EQ, the KTXPRO1 has much more forceful impact (at every frequency) than the TH900 (and the other headphones I mentioned), though the TH900 has bigger, more enveloping bass.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

That thread is about which headphones have the most bass impact when you boost the bass to extreme levels with EQ. The JVC HA-SZ2000 is the top-ranked headphone there. I own it as well. You can make it sound like a car subwoofer, but the sound quality can't compare to audiophile headphones. Although the TH900 is ranked #2 there, I haven't even bothered equalizing it much, as I only recently got it.

Anyway...I keep saying over and over that upper frequency impact is more important to me than bass impact. So when I talk about impact, I am more often referring to things like snare drums rather than bass. When I talk about feeling the impact, I am also often talking about feeling the drums hit, which involves upper frequencies. Play that test track I linked to for an example.

The 207 had realistic upper frequency impact, every once in awhile. (Plenty of headphones can fit that description. I also never said that the HD 800 did not fit that description as well.) I did not say anything about its bass impact. I just said impact before, without specifying. Didn't realize you were going to continue making assumptions...

But actually, plenty of people say that, when paired with the right amp, the STAX SR-009 (and various other electrostats) has much stronger bass impact than the HD 800 and various other non-electrostats. You're making far too many assumptions here. I even know someone who owned both the 009 and Abyss who told me that the 009 has even stronger impact across the spectrum. It's interesting how impressions of gear can be so diverse.

The problem I had with the bass (actually, the entire sound) of the HD 800 is that it's too tight and dry, regardless of EQ. (Even with extreme bass boosts.)

The stock tuning of a headphone is not relevant when you use EQ. You can increase the bass quantity of any headphone to any level you want, as long as your amp and the drivers can handle it.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #43 of 48

As I have stated more than once, the TH900 tends to be very soft with things like snare drums. Its bass impact is also pretty soft without EQ, even despite being boosted by a few decibels. And its entire texture is soft and smooth. I never said the equalized TH900 is my reference in terms of bass impact, and I never said it was my reference for anything at all either. Stop putting words in my mouth, please. All I said is that you can get stronger bass impact when you boost the bass.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

That thread is about which headphones have the most bass impact when you boost the bass to extreme levels with EQ. The JVC HA-SZ2000 is the top-ranked headphone there. I own it as well. You can make it sound like a car subwoofer, but the sound quality can't compare to audiophile headphones. Although the TH900 is ranked #2 there, I haven't even bothered equalizing it much, as I only recently got it.

Anyway...I keep saying over and over that upper frequency impact is more important to me than bass impact. So when I talk about impact, I am more often referring to things like snare drums rather than bass. When I talk about feeling the impact, I am also often talking about feeling the drums hit, which involves upper frequencies. Play that test track I linked to for an example.

The 207 had realistic upper frequency impact, every once in awhile. (Plenty of headphones can fit that description. I also never said that the HD 800 did not fit that description as well.) I did not say anything about its bass impact. I just said impact before, without specifying. Didn't realize you were going to continue making assumptions...

But actually, plenty of people say that, when paired with the right amp, the STAX SR-009 (and various other electrostats) has much stronger bass impact than the HD 800 and various other non-electrostats. You're making far too many assumptions here.

The problem I had with the bass (actually, the entire sound) of the HD 800 is that it's too tight and dry, regardless of EQ. (Even with extreme bass boosts.)

The stock tuning of a headphone is not relevant when you use EQ. You can increase the bass quantity of any headphone to any level you want, as long as your amp and the drivers can handle it.

Music Alchemist – a «reference» is something you refer to, not necessarily a product representing your sonic ideals.

You have expressly stated that the HD 800's bass sounds thin and lacks impact no matter how you equalize it. If it wasn't in this thread it was in a PM.

However, we're running in circles, and I'm retiring from this relatively useless thread about opposing listening impressions and sonic ideals.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #44 of 48
  Music Alchemist – a «reference» is something you refer to, not necessarily a product representing your sonic ideals.

You have expressly stated that the HD 800's bass sounds thin and lacks impact no matter how you equalize it. If it wasn't in this thread it was in a PM.

However, we're running in circles, and I'm retiring from this relatively useless thread about opposing listening impressions and sonic ideals.

I am aware of that one meaning, but that is not how I use the term. When I say that something is my reference, I mean that it is the standard to which I compare all others.

By the way, I had no issues with the bass of the 207, even with impact. It's the most neutral and transparent headphone I've heard and is not overly tight and dry like the HD 800.

Alrighty!
normal_smile .gif

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #45 of 48

Get a KTXPRO1 and play this track at high volume, making sure to push the pads against your ears. It has far more impact than the unmodified HD 800. With the KTXPRO1, I can feel the drums hitting against my head, whereas with the HD 800, I barely feel them at all. (I tested this track on both the 430HAD and Mojo.)

Also, some people say the TH900's soundstage is as large or larger than most open headphones. Personally, I do not hear much difference in the literal soundstage size going from the KTXPRO1 to the HD 800 and TH900. They're all headphones, with the sound right next to your ears.

Wow I just realized you have like 16000+ posts and its awesome you give that KOSS love. KOSS is great. Have my djpro on my head atm :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back