Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Feb 25, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #556 of 921
I fully commend James and the FiiO team for there support with the X3, but I have one gripe and that's regarding the equaliser they have implemented.........it really dosen't work!
I really don't notice any difference when I customise the equaliser for my own personal sound signature when using my head amp? I think this needs to be addressed because as it stands the equaliser is useless!

I apologise in advance if I offend anyone but I think the question regards the equaliser needs airing.

Regards

Isobarik

I don't think the EQ is very effective either but the deepest bass ajustment on it makes quite some difference when boosted up by 6db. The wy the EQ works on this is the same as my rock boxed iAudio X5L, it reduces the volume of everything other than the deep bass in a way.

Something that is bothering me now is when you go to the quick menu and info about the song. When you exit, it skips the track you were playing and starts playing in a random position on the same or another song from the album. As I listen to old music, quite alot of my songs are over 15 minutes. It was a real pain when I looked at the info menu and then it just went to the start of the previous track. It also skips to some other strange places in the album when exiting the quick menu. This is quite a big issue but then it is a beta firmware. It really doesn't make sence when it jumps to the middle of a different track that you were not even listening to. Sometimes, it just restrts the song you were listening to which isn't so much of an issue so long as your tracks are short!

I hardly ever use the EQ so for me, that isn't the biggest problem with this beta firmware.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #557 of 921
I find the EQ awesome.  I'm a bass lover, but not Beats type junk bloated bass.  So, on my X3 paired with Beyer DT990 Pro 250's, I set the hardware bass at 10, treble at 3, eq the low to +6, and the highs to +6, leaving the three in the middle ranges flat.  

Gives me a totally distortion-free fun sound that I love.  Sub bass is there when the music calls for it, and the upper range treble sparkles a bit, giving it more presence.  The EQ is a big deal for me, and works well.  The only problem right now is how it says it's on, when it's not, and I have to switch it to off, then back on again.  

Isobarik, you could be experiencing this.  I see it as a bug, but haven't seen a lot of feedback that it is doing it on other devices.  Turn the EQ on, it works.  Shut the player off and on.  EQ says it's on, but it's not.  Go to EQ settings, turn it off and on, and bam, it's suddenly active. 

Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update.  

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #558 of 921
I don't think the EQ is very effective either but the deepest bass ajustment on it makes quite some difference when boosted up by 6db. The wy the EQ works on this is the same as my rock boxed iAudio X5L, it reduces the volume of everything other than the deep bass in a way.

Something that is bothering me now is when you go to the quick menu and info about the song. When you exit, it skips the track you were playing and starts playing in a random position on the same or another song from the album. As I listen to old music, quite alot of my songs are over 15 minutes. It was a real pain when I looked at the info menu and then it just went to the start of the previous track. It also skips to some other strange places in the album when exiting the quick menu. This is quite a big issue but then it is a beta firmware. It really doesn't make sence when it jumps to the middle of a different track that you were not even listening to. Sometimes, it just restrts the song you were listening to which isn't so much of an issue so long as your tracks are short!

I hardly ever use the EQ so for me, that isn't the biggest problem with this beta firmware.

I agree this bug is very annoying. A few others and myself mentioned this earlier in the thread so hopefully James will add it as a known bug when they all get back from the holiday.

It seems to happen when anything is selected from the quick menu, whether it be favorite, info, shuffle etc. Just goes to a random track. Also this seems to occur about 80% of the time.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #559 of 921
I find the EQ awesome.  I'm a bass lover, but not Beats type junk bloated bass.  So, on my X3 paired with Beyer DT990 Pro 250's, I set the hardware bass at 10, treble at 3, eq the low to +6, and the highs to +6, leaving the three in the middle ranges flat.  

Gives me a totally distortion-free fun sound that I love.  Sub bass is there when the music calls for it, and the upper range treble sparkles a bit, giving it more presence.  The EQ is a big deal for me, and works well.  The only problem right now is how it says it's on, when it's not, and I have to switch it to off, then back on again.  

Isobarik, you could be experiencing this.  I see it as a bug, but haven't seen a lot of feedback that it is doing it on other devices.  Turn the EQ on, it works.  Shut the player off and on.  EQ says it's on, but it's not.  Go to EQ settings, turn it off and on, and bam, it's suddenly active. 

Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next update.  

I tried this out today by turning the EQ on to my custom one. I don't use it often though. I then turned it off and it stayed off. It also said it was off. I turned the player off, then back on again and the EQ still says it is off. I then selected EQ in the sound settings menu without selecting anything and it stayed off.

I just don't have your issue at all. I have always found it a pain that there isn't an on/off toggle switch for it. I don't like having to go into it and moving from custom to flat just to turn it off. It could be simpler than that. Just an on/off switch that when you turn it back on, remembers what EQ setting you were last using.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #561 of 921
Thank you all for your input (much appreciated!)
I thought the bass and treble contols were disabled when you used the LO?
Regarding the equaliser!  The word subtle, springs to mind!

Regards
Isobarik

The bass and treble controls don't work through the line out as they are hardware built into the X3 for the headphone out only. The EQ, which is software, seems to work fine through both of the outputs. Have not tested the coaxial out yet.
It looks likevery few people use that port.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #565 of 921
  Interesting. I am now thinking that rather than clipping it's actually over siblant. With the latest FW Fiio seem to have upped the fine detail it's upped the siblance which to my ears is a little painful. Has anyone come across this issue?

I totally agree with you Andy. Definitely clipping, distortion through the LO.
But the HO is fine.

I'm going to revert back to the previous firmware and wait for the official 3.34.

I'm relieved to hear that it wasn't just myself that was hearing this.

X3 and Cayin C5

Regards
Isobarik

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #566 of 921
I am listening through the line out of the X3 at the moment on this firmware and I don't hear any distortion or anything like that at all. I have never really notice the sound of the line out change what so ever no matter what firmware I have had. I have been using my E11 and tried boosting the bass to see if it distorted through the line out then and still it sounds perfectly clean with nothing wrong with it at all. When upgrading the firmwares I have only noticed the sound change a little through the headphone out.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #567 of 921
Sound fine to me. More open than last official FW.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #568 of 921
I've just removed the album that was sounding distorted. Copied it again using EAC then converted it to Flac..........The result is the same! fine from the HO but distorted through the LO. I've also tried a different head amp with the same results!

Regards
Isobarik

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #569 of 921
Have you tried different FW to check if it that or your player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back