Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,396 of 1,479
So far enjoying the 8xx, I installed the ZMF lambskin pads right away they feel so much nicer. I was never a fan of the 800 family and I prefer a warmer tilt, but I always wanted to experience the famous "soundstage" and i think the tuning of the 8xx hit the spot for me, i am not a vocal fanatic but my focus is on tonality and i like the tuning so far. i was scared that they were going to sound thin, but i am really getting some warmness when listening to orchestral music. My intention is to use mix it up with ZMF Verite Open and Argon MK3, so far i am liking what i am hearing. I don't intent to Mod them, i guess i just did with the ZMF pads. I am using with a xduoo t-20 with a bitfrost DAC and also have a Geshelli Archer 2.5 amp.
However the cable needs to go, it feels nice but it is too dam long, i just ordered the Cardas cable from drop.
I know some people may not approve but I got an adapter off of Aliexpress that let's me use any mmcx cable with them. I posted pictures earlier in the thread of it with a modular cable that lets me swap the termination on the fly.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #1,397 of 1,479
So I've been interested in getting one of the 800 family, and I was wondering if there were any additional quirks between the 8xx and the 800 aside from the obvious tonality change (like how the 800S had bass distortion, at least from what I've heard. Never tried them myself).

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #1,398 of 1,479
So I've been interested in getting one of the 800 family, and I was wondering if there were any additional quirks between the 8xx and the 800 aside from the obvious tonality change (like how the 800S had bass distortion, at least from what I've heard. Never tried them myself).
I would say the HD 800S only has bass distortion in the sense that the HD 800 doesn't rumble almost at all. Very short decay, mostly just playing what is in the recording. So many people are used to hearing a bit of room reinforcement and/or rumble in the bass, that the tiny bit in the HD 800S sounds more natural. It certainly isn't lacking in detail. However, I wouldn't call any of the HD 800 family "heavy bass" headphones. IMO, the HD 800 is the hyper clear reference, while the HD 8xx takes the changes of the HD 800S and takes them further. Being easier to listen to does not diminish that the HD 8XX are still very detailed and able to produce a nice spatial sense (improved with a spatial audio DSP).

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #1,399 of 1,479
Under $2000 you will not find any better full size headphone than the HD8 series. You will hear a mixed field soundstage similar to floor standing speakers that no other headphone can match. The one caveat is that mobile DAP options will be limited as 300 ohm headphones need a high voltage amp.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #1,400 of 1,479
Any recommendations on ear pads replacement on a sticky modded hd8xx? I am thinking about zmf Lambskin ear pads. But does it change the sound compare to the stock pads?

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #1,401 of 1,479
Any recommendations on ear pads replacement on a sticky modded hd8xx? I am thinking about zmf Lambskin ear pads. But does it change the sound compare to the stock pads?
I have this same question too. Birthday is coming up and I want to treat myself with some new pads!

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #1,402 of 1,479
I have this same question too. Birthday is coming up and I want to treat myself with some new pads!
Same here, my birthday is coming up next week and thinking about getting something for myself :relaxed:

I like the sound of the stock pads but they're just not that comfortable. I always like lambskin earpads but then I don't want it to change the sound as I like the way how my hd8xx sounds right now.

Feb 8, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,403 of 1,479
Same here, my birthday is coming up next week and thinking about getting something for myself :relaxed:

I like the sound of the stock pads but they're just not that comfortable. I always like lambskin earpads but then I don't want it to change the sound as I like the way how my hd8xx sounds right now.
I ended up ordering the ZMF Lambskin. They should be arriving Thursday. I'll report back my findings, but note that I have removed all the stickers on my 8XX.

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #1,404 of 1,479
The ZMF lambskin pads are great. Good quality, and premium feeling. I find that they add some body and a tiny hint of warmth to the sound. With all stickers removed, 8XX had much better clarity, but sounded thin. The pads brought a welcome change and balance. Only downside with the new pads is that it feels a bit heavier in the hand and on the head.

While I did like the stock sound profile with stock pads and stickers in place, it sounded a bit congested and "veiled". Vocals sounded nasally and the stickers were holding back on clarity and detail retrieval. With stickers on, they sound more like a mid $300-500 range headphone. With sticker mod, now they sound like a proper $1000+ flagship headphone.
PXL_20230209_043215293.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #1,405 of 1,479
The ZMF lambskin pads are great. Good quality, and premium feeling. I find that they add some body and a tiny hint of warmth to the sound. With all stickers removed, 8XX had much better clarity, but sounded thin. The pads brought a welcome change and balance. Only downside with the new pads is that it feels a bit heavier in the hand and on the head.

While I did like the stock sound profile with stock pads and stickers in place, it sounded a bit congested and "veiled". Vocals sounded nasally and the stickers were holding back on clarity and detail retrieval. With stickers on, they sound more like a mid $300-500 range headphone. With sticker mod, now they sound like a proper $1000+ flagship headphone.PXL_20230209_043215293.PORTRAIT.jpg
Man that sounds perfect to me! Cant wait for my pads to come tomorrow.

I agree, with the stickers off clarity is much improved and the congestion/constriction to the sound is cleared away.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #1,407 of 1,479
I haven't done the mod or even received the headphones yet, but they are on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back