Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Jan 11, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #1,383 of 1,479
Finally sitting down to do the sticker mod. Wish me luck!

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #1,384 of 1,479
Finally sitting down to do the sticker mod. Wish me luck!
WOW! I took off all the stickers, and the airiness, clarity, timbre, & quality of soundstage are noticeably better.

FYI for those who haven't done this yet and are interested, I tried both 100% isopropyl alcohol and hand sanitizer as removal agents, and hand sanitizer is the way to go! I think it is because the glycerol helps keep the alcohol from evaporating away so quickly. It really lets the alcohol breakdown the crazy goop they use for adhesive.

So hand sanitizer & scraping tool (I used a flexible pry tool for electronics) and it isn't very hard. I let the hand sanitizer do the heavy lifting. I would apply some, then work with the scrapper till it started to get tacky again, then rinse & repeat till it was all but gone. Then I finished up with more hand sanitizer & a paper towel to get the last little bit off.

I'd say the whole process took about an hour, but I was chilling watching a movie while I did it. So it could probably be quicker.

Another FYI, it's definitely a lot easier if you take the earcups off the headband. Super easy to do. It's just 2 easily accessible screws (#8 or #9 Torque bit).

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,385 of 1,479
So for those who have tried different pads...

I'm debating between the Dekoni Fenestrated & the ZMF lambskin.

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #1,386 of 1,479
WOW! I took off all the stickers, and the airiness, clarity, timbre, & quality of soundstage are noticeably better.

FYI for those who haven't done this yet and are interested, I tried both 100% isopropyl alcohol and hand sanitizer as removal agents, and hand sanitizer is the way to go! I think it is because the glycerol helps keep the alcohol from evaporating away so quickly. It really lets the alcohol breakdown the crazy goop they use for adhesive.

So hand sanitizer & scraping tool (I used a flexible pry tool for electronics) and it isn't very hard. I let the hand sanitizer do the heavy lifting. I would apply some, then work with the scrapper till it started to get tacky again, then rinse & repeat till it was all but gone. Then I finished up with more hand sanitizer & a paper towel to get the last little bit off.

I'd say the whole process took about an hour, but I was chilling watching a movie while I did it. So it could probably be quicker.

Another FYI, it's definitely a lot easier if you take the earcups off the headband. Super easy to do. It's just 2 easily accessible screws (#8 or #9 Torque bit).
You finally did it! I remember you posting earlier last year that you were thinking about doing it. I use these primarily for gaming and I’m debating on doing to mod finally. I already like them as they are but if they have the potential to sound better maybe I should give it a shot.

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #1,387 of 1,479
You finally did it! I remember you posting earlier last year that you were thinking about doing it. I use these primarily for gaming and I’m debating on doing to mod finally. I already like them as they are but if they have the potential to sound better maybe I should give it a shot.
Yeah, last year was crazy for me. Since I didn't have the luxury of having a comparison set to go back and forth. I wanted to really become familiar with the sound; made all the harder by not always daily driving them. But it's been itching at the back of my brain the entire year and I finally couldn't ignore it anymore! My only regret is not doing it sooner. It's got a little less bass & body to the sound, but the benefits outweigh the negatives; especially when I can just EQ back the bass/body.

The big thing for me was the timbre. It just sounds so much more natural; less congested. Same with the soundstage. The soundstage before was larger than all my other headphones for sure, but congested is the best way I would describe it besides the hallway/corridor effect. There's room to breath now. There's air now. It's like that feeling you get when you release tension in your body that you didn't know you were holding. That's what I feel like the sound is doing now. It's no longer restricted or restrained by a corridor. It's stepped out of the corridor of the venue and stepped into the main auditorium.

I don't know if I'm describing what I'm hearing well. Sorry for waxing poetic there! Hopefully it made some sense or helped fill in some holes in the description of what this mod can do for the sound.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #1,388 of 1,479
Yeah, last year was crazy for me. Since I didn't have the luxury of having a comparison set to go back and forth. I wanted to really become familiar with the sound; made all the harder by not always daily driving them. But it's been itching at the back of my brain the entire year and I finally couldn't ignore it anymore! My only regret is not doing it sooner. It's got a little less bass & body to the sound, but the benefits outweigh the negatives; especially when I can just EQ back the bass/body.

The big thing for me was the timbre. It just sounds so much more natural; less congested. Same with the soundstage. The soundstage before was larger than all my other headphones for sure, but congested is the best way I would describe it besides the hallway/corridor effect. There's room to breath now. There's air now. It's like that feeling you get when you release tension in your body that you didn't know you were holding. That's what I feel like the sound is doing now. It's no longer restricted or restrained by a corridor. It's stepped out of the corridor of the venue and stepped into the main auditorium.

I don't know if I'm describing what I'm hearing well. Sorry for waxing poetic there! Hopefully it made some sense or helped fill in some holes in the description of what this mod can do for the sound.
Hmmmm. You are tempting me.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #1,389 of 1,479

What are your thoughts another few days in? Reading this whole thread since the mod was discussed I think there were only one or two people that regretted whereas everyone else preferred the new sound with the stickers removed.

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,390 of 1,479
What are your thoughts another few days in? Reading this whole thread since the mod was discussed I think there were only one or two people that regretted whereas everyone else preferred the new sound with the stickers removed.
I absolutely prefer without the stickers. Improved timbre, clarity, detail, air, soundstage over bass & fullness that can be easily EQ'd back is a no brainer for me. Other's may not feel the same, and that is ok. But for me. I'm glad I did the mod.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,391 of 1,479
For the sticker mods if there’s any difference between removing two stickers only versus removing all three? I have two removed already, just thinking if I should remove the last sticker as well.

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #1,392 of 1,479
For the sticker mods if there’s any difference between removing two stickers only versus removing all three? I have two removed already, just thinking if I should remove the last sticker as well.
I didn't bother cleaning, reassembling, & listening between each sticker removal to see what the effect would be. My goal with the 8XX originally was to get as close to the 800S as possible for as little as possible. So for me, I just went straight to no stickers, since many people who did that claimed it was nigh indistinguishable with no stickers.

So 8XX w/o stickers @ < $800 vs 800S @ $1700... I think I accomplished my goal, of getting a killer deal and a great headphone!

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #1,393 of 1,479
I didn't bother cleaning, reassembling, & listening between each sticker removal to see what the effect would be. My goal with the 8XX originally was to get as close to the 800S as possible for as little as possible. So for me, I just went straight to no stickers, since many people who did that claimed it was nigh indistinguishable with no stickers.

So 8XX w/o stickers @ < $800 vs 800S @ $1700... I think I accomplished my goal, of getting a killer deal and a great headphone!

The HD800S has been frequently sold for around $1100-1300 through dealers though, and it comes with balanced cable and Sennheiser's reliable warranty/after sales. So the savings is not that much all things considered.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #1,394 of 1,479
The HD800S has been frequently sold for around $1100-1300 through dealers though, and it comes with balanced cable and Sennheiser's reliable warranty/after sales. So the savings is not that much all things considered.
If that is how you want to view things that's fine too.

I personally don't care too much about warranties, and got a balanced cable for under $75. I was looking for over a 1.5 years for a sub $1200 deal on a new 800S and never saw one or sub $800 for a used.

So for me under $800 for a new 8XX that with a simple mod turns it into basically an 800S is a big savings in my opinion. It's ok if others don't agree. I understand others find value in warranties and other intangibles or in other things.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #1,395 of 1,479
So far enjoying the 8xx, I installed the ZMF lambskin pads right away they feel so much nicer. I was never a fan of the 800 family and I prefer a warmer tilt, but I always wanted to experience the famous "soundstage" and i think the tuning of the 8xx hit the spot for me, i am not a vocal fanatic but my focus is on tonality and i like the tuning so far. i was scared that they were going to sound thin, but i am really getting some warmness when listening to orchestral music. My intention is to use mix it up with ZMF Verite Open and Argon MK3, so far i am liking what i am hearing. I don't intent to Mod them, i guess i just did with the ZMF pads. I am using with a xduoo t-20 with a bitfrost DAC and also have a Geshelli Archer 2.5 amp.
However the cable needs to go, it feels nice but it is too dam long, i just ordered the Cardas cable from drop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back