Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Mar 7, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #1,186 of 1,479
I wonder though, if the headphone is so better with the tapes removed then why Sennheiser released it with them?
I am pretty sure that they have tested it with or without them, even with various combinations and in the end they decided to include the damping tapes. 🤔

Solid question we may never know the answer to. The headphone is so much better after the tape removal mod.

the weird changes after the great prototype
^^ This is what happened. They had something that wound up sounding almost the same as the HD 800S, and the creators on the headphone tour said "change it".

Presumably Drop had a goal in mind, and the feedback was the goal wasn't met, but it wasn't a bad headphone. Had they just tried to make the HD 800S with a cheaper housing like they did with the 6XX, they would have been fine.

If the tuning change is to be believed, they need to take the stickers off and make it $800 permanently.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,189 of 1,479
^^ This is what happened. They had something that wound up sounding almost the same as the HD 800S, and the creators on the headphone tour said "change it".

Presumably Drop had a goal in mind, and the feedback was the goal wasn't met, but it wasn't a bad headphone. Had they just tried to make the HD 800S with a cheaper housing like they did with the 6XX, they would have been fine.

If the tuning change is to be believed, they need to take the stickers off and make it $800 permanently.

800 permanently is never going to happen...

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #1,190 of 1,479
I just think of it as a different headphone than the 800s. Much like how Sennheiser has different models within the 5 and 6 series each with their own tuning differences (i.e. 600/650/660s), they now have a different flavor of the 8 series. It's natural to compare the two, though the 8xx is still $500+ cheaper than the 800s at normal MSRP for both.

The 8xx is like a more Audeze-like tuned 8 series option, which believe it or not does appeal to many, including me. I tend to dislike overly bright sound signatures, so I would probably not like the 800s. The 8xx though is warmer and fuller, more my speed. I get the build and comfort of the 800s with a sound that's more agreeable to my tastes, all at a much cheaper price. That's a win for me personally.

I know many wanted a cheaper 800s akin to the 6xx, but that ship has sailed. It's a different headphone. If you hate it, oh well. If you love it, then who cares what others think.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #1,191 of 1,479
I just think of it as a different headphone than the 800s. Much like how Sennheiser has different models within the 5 and 6 series each with their own tuning differences (i.e. 600/650/660s), they now have a different flavor of the 8 series. It's natural to compare the two, though the 8xx is still $500+ cheaper than the 800s at normal MSRP for both.

The 8xx is like a more Audeze-like tuned 8 series option, which believe it or not does appeal to many, including me. I tend to dislike overly bright sound signatures, so I would probably not like the 800s. The 8xx though is warmer and fuller, more my speed. I get the build and comfort of the 800s with a sound that's more agreeable to my tastes, all at a much cheaper price. That's a win for me personally.

I know many wanted a cheaper 800s akin to the 6xx, but that ship has sailed. It's a different headphone. If you hate it, oh well. If you love it, then who cares what others think.
👍 Exactly.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #1,192 of 1,479
Ordered these from AliExpress. Just arrived last night. Now I can use any mmcx cable. Cable length and termination issue solved!
-839176601546268762.jpg
-145323410142941294.jpg
ae_1646712664249.jpg
ae_1646712677378.jpg
ae_1646712657353.jpg
ae_1646712649442.jpg
20220307_211718.jpg

Mar 8, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #1,196 of 1,479
Ordered these from AliExpress. Just arrived last night. Now I can use any mmcx cable. Cable length and termination issue solved!
-839176601546268762.jpg-145323410142941294.jpgae_1646712664249.jpgae_1646712677378.jpgae_1646712657353.jpgae_1646712649442.jpg20220307_211718.jpg
I've been wondering why I haven't seen these interchangable connector cables before... And here they are.

How do they sound?

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #1,197 of 1,479
I've been wondering why I haven't seen these interchangable connector cables before... And here they are.

How do they sound?
They sound great! No discernable difference from stock cable.

Mar 9, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #1,198 of 1,479
How do tubes affect the sound exactly? I'm interested in trying them out

A tube, by definition, is adding distortion to a sound. Depending on the type of tube, that distortion could be weak or strong, lean the music one way or the other, make the sound slower or faster - that's where the fun of tube rolling comes into play.

Most amps have two sections (in general) for tube rolling - power tubes (the audio "channel" tubes) and the rectifier ("voltage") tube. Which one has greater effect depends on the amp. For example, my Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen2 has a dramatic change from one rectifier to the next, while the power tubes have little effect. Other versions of the amp have the opposite effect. Others still require all of the "stars" to be in alignment to get that "perfect" sound. That brings me to my next point - there IS NO perfect sound - it's all subjective. What I like might be completely different than your friend, listening to the same amp with the same tubes. Tubes are like flavors. Either you like chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, or broccoli (who likes broccoli?).

Do some reading, you'll find good info. Then, when you're ready, take the plunge!
I wouldn’t say tubes are “defined” by distorting sound. They simply are another method for amplifying signal, and they have been produced for much longer and by more brands so there is more variety in their characteristics than opamps and transformers in solid state amps. Everything else you said, I agree with.

To add some more info, a tube can sound very low distortion and linear, or it can add harmonic resonance (for those who don’t know, you have the fundamental note on, say, a particular piano key, but the fundamental note causes resonance in other octaves, these are the harmonics). These resonances can be problematic, or they can be pleasant and add to the organic richness (synths were revolutionized and sound much more like real instruments once harmonic resonances were added). If these resonances are added by the tubes and not part of the recording, then they technically are added signal distortion, but sometimes it sounds perceptually more natural this way 🤷‍♂️ That said, many summit-fi amps use tubes of vanishingly low distortion and high quality… solid state isn’t inherently better.

Another characteristic difference between solid state and tube amps is how they handle clipping. Solid state amps tend to hard clip overdriven signals, while tube amps have a softer, rolling bell curve characteristic when viewed on a graph (and sound less abrupt and hard).

Both of the above tend to ease up harshnesses in poorly mastered or lower res music, but usually don’t get in the way of well-mastered or high res music.

Solid state amps, however, tend to have more linear current delivery and impedance at low, sub bass frequencies, so often people prefer solid state sub bass if they listen to pipe organs or synthetic instruments that can reach that low. Solid state amps also tend to have better shielding against EMI, like squeals and chirps picked up when a nearby phone receives data. Personally, I used to worry about replacing tubes as often as an incandescent lightbulb, but tubes can last for thousands of hours and I’ve yet to have a tube burn out on me (more likely I get a new one to try out before one burns out, lol)!

Exceptions and ways to mitigate flaws exist with both types of topologies, and even though I have some experience looking at amps, I’ve never made one myself 😅

Hey Friends, Tomorrow morning at 9am PST, we are releasing the DROP + Sennheiser HD 8XX. This headphone is the result of hundreds of thousands of community posts and four years of collaboration between the teams at DROP and Sennheiser. Analyzing discussions around the HD 800S, we saw clear mandates from the community around bass extension and midrange balance. The HD 8XX incorporates two novel changes to accommodate those mandates. Where the HD 800S uses a single resonator, Sennheiser developed a dual resonator system for the HD 8XX, creating bass extension down to 10hz (+5db @ 10hz vs 800 S). Sennheiser’s team, lead by Jermo Koehnke, reached the bass solution pretty quickly, but our goals for the midrange proved demanding... bordering impossible. After significant research, Sennheiser reached a solution; altered acoustic impedance in the transducer's dampening material to smooth the FR from 2.5k to 8k. This means the transducer in the HD 8XX is unique, it’s a new ring driver. The HD8XX goes live tomorrow at 9am PST with 3000 units available, shipping in November. These 3000 units represent the full production we anticipate for 2021. We’ll make more available if the capacity increases, but this launch is the only guaranteed HD 8XX availability until 2022. Launch pricing for the HD 8XX is $1100 and you’ll receive $200 worth of drop points (20,000 points) with purchase. For future units, HD 8XX pricing will increase to $1200+.
I think that's the original announcement.
No. That was Will Bright’s comment made the day before the official release and embargo. There was a fair bit of behind the scenes “activity” because of that post and promises made (including clarifying the cost of buying a THX 789 amp, that there wouldn’t be a bundle option, but other stuff as well).

Feels like I'm in the minority in that I love the HD8xx stock tuning. Its warm, full, non-fatiguing and has really good treble performance. I notice the slightly recessed vocals on some tracks, and on others its a non-issue, but compared to them EQ'ed to sound like the HD800s, I'll take the slight vocal range recession over excessive brightness thats fatiguing any day of the week.

These things float on my head, have details for days, and don't give me any fatigue even after a few hours of listening. I love them just the way they are lol.
I put out one of the first impressions of the retail production HD 8XX… I tried very hard to be accommodating to other tastes and give people an unhyped expectation, but I think you can tell that I also felt the stock tuning suited me well:

I even received some flack from the community for not making the same comments as other, more famous reviewers that followed.

Mar 9, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #1,200 of 1,479
I even received some flack from the community for not making the same comments as other, more famous reviewers that followed.
That is wrong, everyone must have his own opinion. But if you are sponsored by Sennheiser, can you?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back