Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #874 of 1,479
After watching Josh's videos for a while, I am still unclear on what his preference are and his descriptions are inconsistent so I stopped watching. I can't make out the tonality of a headphone from how he describes sound signatures. The best thing he got going for his videos are high production quality, but subjective impressions aren't helpful from the ones he's reviewed that I owned.

how many of his vids did you watch? i see this sentiment often and yet i find it hard to believe because josh's preferences are mentioned by him nearly every video. he really toes a moderate line and is clearly aware of what is, 'corporate,' and what is, 'audiophile,'. i suspect this is why he turns so many expert audiophiles off; his safety

he prefers a warmish neutral style in general and always looks for cans that, 'do things,' and he shies away from EQ. i've rarely seen him suggest its use. he always talks up the clear mgs and the dianas. he uses words like, 'natural,' 'sparkly,' 'shimmer,' 'precision,' 'organic,' etc. he uses normal audiophile jargon i see here on headfi every day. i'm not sure why his subjective impressions aren't helpful but other reviewers who do the same exact thing are lol.

just never got the hate for the guy, is all.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #875 of 1,479
Just saw this YouTube Video from Josh Valour. I like him as a reviewer. It's a pretty balanced review. I have the HD800S and love it when paired with a high end tube amp. Based on this review, I am happy to stay with the HD800S. Seems like the HD8XX tried to make the HD800S into a different product rather than fixing the issues that the current product has.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=josh+valour+hd8xx

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #876 of 1,479
I participated in the Drop 8XX loaner program, and I had a few days to sit down and test this thing the past week.
A disclaimer about me, the only other HD800 variant I have heard is the 800S, and that was many years ago at the Stereo Exchange for like 5 minutes. So my memory of that is very very much not reliable.

My first impressions of the 8XX... it is a little underwhelming for me, purely in terms of tonal balance. This is a great departure from what I am used to, which is the Sennheiser HD650 type of sound. When switching from the 8XX to the Focal Clear MG, it becomes apparent the large hole in the upper midrange from 1-2kHz is present. On some music, this is not as easy to notice. But to me, piano and vocals lack a bit of presence and body. That is not to say they don't sound good, because they do. But it's only in direct comparison to my more neutral-warm reference cans like the 650, Clear MG, and HE-500 that it sounds this way to me. Another knock off the 8XX is the bass, which is very flat and uncolored. To the point where I am left wanting more. Coming again from a Focal headphone, I am used to a rise starting around 120 Hz and extending all the way down, but the 8XX in comparison is just not exciting to me in the bass, at least without EQ.

The great part about this headphone, of course, is the soundstage and imaging. I can safely say it is the best I've heard in those categories. It is the most open and natural stage I have heard. Treble detail is also excellent, and the timbre for higher frequency instruments is really good. I do not hear any big peaks or much unevenness at all, which I know people say the original 800 had. (But I have not heard that headphone.) Everything is nice and airy and well extended, just like you would expect for a headphone at this price.
Now, considering the 8XX has great technical performance, I decided to try some EQ on it. And honestly this really is an amazing headphone to EQ. You can basically fix all the issues I mentioned above by boosting the bass below 150 Hz and bringing up the 1.5 - 2kHz region by 7 or 8 dB. Once I did that, I could not stop marveling at how amazing it sounded. With this new equalized frequency response, it has well extended and punchy bass, natural vocals and mids, and a very accurate timbre. On top of that, you get the amazing soundstage and imaging the HD800 series is known for. I still think the Focal Clear MG has tighter cleaner bass and better dynamics, but the 8XX with EQ is no slouch.

I will also mention the comfort is class leading, at least for my head. I have a large and tall head, and finally after having so many headphones not fit me correctly, the 8XX is the first headphone to actually fit nearly perfectly for me. I can wear it for hours no problem. I love the material of the pads and headband too.

After trying the 8XX, I could absolutely see myself getting an 800 or 800S for the imaging and soundstage alone, and then equalizing to my desired target. I could live with the 8XX, but I'd rather take the 800S which is measurably more linear in the upper midrange.

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #877 of 1,479
^^ HD8XX is meant to be EQ'ed. Comparision demos in YouTube do not give it justice. Some overreacts so it made it looked bad. The amount of deviation between 8XX and 800S to achieve Harman, if one is to that, is not that far. With tamed edges at the highs and paired with a good DAC and amp, the 8XX indeed is an excellent headphone.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #878 of 1,479
I think it might be Sennheiser who decided 8xx to be made “weirder sounding” than 800s so 800s can still get some sells.

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #879 of 1,479
Much of this was posted yesterday on the loaner tour thread, but I moved it here because I thought this thread was the correct place for it and I’ve added some more thoughts.

The loaner HD8XX unit arrived safely at my home early Friday afternoon, and I had a chance to listen to a couple of CD’s through them right away: Bill Frisell and Vinicius Cantuaria - Lagrimas Mexicanas, and Gateway - In The Moment. I listened side by side with a pretty new set of HD660S. CD player is a naim cd3.5 with flatcap 2, into my Plinius Hautonga integrated amp. The Burson Soloist is fed by the line out of the Plinius.

A bit about me for context (reviews are useless without context) - I am 62 years old and I have been a serious music listener since about age 13. Starting in my twenties and well into my 50’s, I was an all tube analog guy, until one day about 5 years ago when I sold my mono VTL amps and tube preamp and bought the Plinius integrated. My main speakers are a pair of Totem Forest Signature, which work great in my room. I’ve also owned several Vandersteens, Wilson Watt/Puppies, Joseph Audio Pearls and a pair of Quad esl-63 with all the right modifications. My primary sources are vinyl and cd, although I use Spotify for convenience, but I don’t consider it a ‘serious’ source. I have learned the hard way to listen to music instead of listening to the stereo, and I’ve never been happier. I’ve always been a Sennheiser fanboy - I had a pair of HD430 from the early 80’s until I got the HD580 in the mid-90’s. They have just been retired. I now have 600 (marble), 650 and 660S (also on trial). All of my 6x0 series are modified in one way or another - foam removed, copper weights, leather earpads, mogami cable - you name it, I like to tweak. I have owned in the past two years: 2 different pairs of HD700 (love/hate), 2 different pairs of Hifiman HE560 (don’t ask - I thought these were it but couldn’t squeeze that last drop of bass that I wanted out of them), Sundara, Ananda (beautiful, but lacked bass in my system), Audeze LCD-2 (2021, rosewood), LCD-X (I regret having sold these), Focal Elear, Quad era-1 and probably one or two others I’m forgetting. I listen primarily to jazz - bop, fusion, free - but also plenty of classical and, of course, some Clapton, Dead, Allman Brothers, Phish, etc. I do NOT listen to rap, pop, dance music, electronica (maybe a little taste from time to time), or metal. But I listen a lot, I know what I like, and I have a pretty good idea of how live music should sound. I played guitar and sang in a Grateful Dead cover band for years, and still pull out the old Martin from time to time. I tell you all this so you have a background against which to view my opinions (and they are just my opinions - no judgment, no facts).

Now that that’s out of the way, my first impressions of the HD8XX are great! Immediately enjoyable and fun to listen through. The Frisell album was sweet and appropriately intimate, especially the vocals. The Gateway CD was presented in all its power and glory. Dave Holland’s bowed bass on the second track was especially beautiful to hear through the 8XX - sweet and lovely. Not unexpectedly, although the 8XX sound more extended than the 660S in both frequency extremes, they also sound a bit leaner, less tonally saturated to my ear. So, for example, the 8XX highlighted Dave Holland’s note choices and bowing technique, while the 660S was a little more visceral and highlighted the vibration of the wood of the instrument, with slightly less note differentiation at the very bottom than the 8XX. This is merely an observation, not a criticism. Both headphones sound wonderful, and which presentation you prefer is purely a matter of personal taste. Also, I don’t mean to imply in any way that the 8XX are threadbare - they are certainly not. They are leaner in a comparative sense, not lean in an objective sense. I heard nothing unpleasant at all from the 8XX treble. In fact, to my mind, at least at this early stage, the treble is the key to this headphone. It is detailed, airy, ephemeral, pristine, pellucid - all that great stuff. And if you crave air and space and outside-your-head imaging, these headphones have it in spades. By comparison, the 660S is definitely more closed in and in your head - but also intimate and detailed and quick in its way. Again, you could not be faulted for preferring one or the other. Keep in mind, too, that I am using a Class A SS amp. If you are using tubes, for example, what I hear as ‘leaner’, you might hear as ‘more transparent’.

As far as build quality, the 8XX are top shelf all the way, almost in the same league as my SME turntable and tone arm. They look and feel like a >$1,000 headphone should. They come packed in a standard high end Sennheiser box - no point in detailing that. And they are by far the most comfortable headphones I have ever put on my head. I never realized how comparatively small other earcups are until I slipped my ears into these cavernous cans. What a treat!

Today I played some Spotify in the morning, just bouncing around to this that and the other thing. Obviously, Spotify is not the highest resolution source around, but you’d be surprised what you can learn. My first impressions were repeatedly confirmed. The 8XX are a very capable performer, and they do sir, space and detail as well as anything I’ve heard. That’s no surprise to anyone, because we all know imaging (comprised primarily of air, space and detail) to be the 800 series’ strengths.
Unlike what I have read about it’s older brothers (with which I have NOT spent time), the 8XX has a non-fatiguing but detailed treble, much better than the 660S in this area. Both headphones have with and transparent mids, although I’d probably give the treble to the 8XX and the mids to the 660S - again no surprises. The 8XX also has better overall extension top to bottom, but, to me the 660S has better tonal saturation and more bass traction. Again, I’m not revealing any big surprises here - Sennheiser intends the 660S to take the warm, bassy, perhaps slightly veiled sound of the 650 and make it tighter, brighter and more transparent (i.e., more like the 800 series) and has done so admirably by retuning the driver from the promising but fatally flawed HD700 in a modified version of the HD6X0 body. The 8XX is a re-retuned 800 ring radiator, intended to keep as much of the 800 series’ world class speed, transparency, detail and imaging and give it some of the weight of the 650, and I think they have accomplished that.

I spun plenty of vinyl this afternoon, and that did nothing to change what I have said above. The 8XX was always spectacular, revealing every fingering, guitar amp tuning, background whisper, and deep bass note available in the grooves of Julian Page’s Love Hurts. The 8XX is a lean mean music-making machine, and the electric guitar, in zMr. L age’s quite capable hands was alternately, sweet, aggressive, beautiful and crunchy - as it should be. You could listen all day without hearing a bad sound or even adjusting them on your head, they’re that comfortable. Bass was plentiful, deep and tuneful, but lacked a little slam. Drums were potent and extremely lively, but brushed snares, for example, sounded a little thin through the 8XX, lacking some of the sound of the body of the hollow drum (the 660S, by comparison, does this extremely well, IMHO). Again, it is a trade off of detail, air, space and imaging versus tonal saturation and visceral impact. Which do you like better - coffee heathbar crunch or new york super fudge chunk? There is NO WRONG ANSWER.

I don’t have a tube amp at home right now, but I wish I did. While my amp is more than powerful enough to run them properly and isn’t phased (no pun) by their 300 ohm load, I suspect that a good tube amp, especially an OTL tube amp, would really make the 8XX sing. It is more than just an educated guess when I say, as I did above, that what I heard as a slight bit of leanness on the SS amp would likely be heard as a beautiful, liquid clarity on a quality OTL tube amp.

I’ll add to this if I hear anything new or different over the coming days, but I think I’ve got the picture and, hopefully, I’ve communicated what I’ve heard well enough and given it enough context that these words will be of some help or interest to someone.

Thanks again to Michael Ninh (@michaelDrrrrr) for putting this together and giving me the chance to hear these wonderful, beautifully made cans.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #880 of 1,479
I just bought a pair, arrived today. Listening to Boston - Boston right now. Compared to my Sennheiser 660S's, these are definitely more comfortable, seem to be more "clean", not quite as warm or as bright, and do present more (to my ears) presence or soundstage. A very nice sound especially run through my xDouu TA-30. Equally impressive through my iFi Gryphon - albeit limited in its output capabilities with these.

Time will tell, but I think we have a winner here!

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #882 of 1,479
HD8XX is meant to be EQ'ed. Comparision demos in YouTube do not give it justice. Some overreacts so it made it looked bad. The amount of deviation between 8XX and 800S to achieve Harman, if one is to that, is not that far. With tamed edges at the highs and paired with a good DAC and amp, the 8XX indeed is an excellent headphone.
Totally agree. I’m using it EQed with an OTL tube amp and Bifrost 2 DAC and it sounds great. I had an HD800 with SDR mod for a year or so and the HD8XX is much more enjoyable. In my opinion it is better suited to orchestral, acoustic or jazz music than electronic, rap or rock.

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #883 of 1,479
I know it's subjective and depending on source material, etc, but does anyone have any "basic" guides on how the curve should look?

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #884 of 1,479
Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #885 of 1,479
Here's the list I put together other than Oratory as mentioned above:

AutoEq:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...ry1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 8XX

1640035124967.png

Crinacle:
https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-hd-8xx-headphones/reviews/2849368

1640035168955.png

Some played with it with these settings:

Gisslybuz:
https://github.com/grizzlybus/8xx_EQ

Daniel Lagoe:
https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-hd-8xx-headphones/reviews/2860547

1640035208425.png

The Daniel Lagoe is very interesting. It's totally unconventional (weired) curve. It smoothens everything out. The preamp preset to an odd -12db. Something you can try to see how far the headphone will tolerate.

If you bring the preamp of Oratory and AutoEq to -8 to -12db and compensate it with your volume knob, the sound is sweet, clean, no veil, and open.

These are just starting points. Adjust to taste depending on you associated DAC and amp. The 8XX is an excellent headphone that performs a lot more than its price.

The other thing I noticed is the 8XX benefits a lot from burn-in. Run it on a mix of pink and brown noise 24/7 for at least 3 days to achieve the best result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back