Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Sep 15, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #572 of 1,479
That turned out to be an incorrect assumption. There's other mods that was done that's not revertible.

That’s a bummer. I appreciate the heads up.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #573 of 1,479
Or perhaps a couple of insignificant "reviewers" simply chose to come out and bash the 8XX for the sake of attention/views, or because it did not miraculously turn the HD800s into a $5000 Stax. Or both.

I look at that tuning and imagine a NightHawk with more spacious sound and think it's not such a bad thing. But who knows? We have to listen and judge with our own ears.

I wasnt expecting these to become Stax equivalent but more as a backup for my existing 2 HD800.

Still bought one though!

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #575 of 1,479
Or perhaps a couple of insignificant "reviewers" simply chose to come out and bash the 8XX for the sake of attention/views, or because it did not miraculously turn the HD800s into a $5000 Stax. Or both.

I look at that tuning and imagine a NightHawk with more spacious sound and think it's not such a bad thing. But who knows? We have to listen and judge with our own ears.

The tuning does remind me a bit like that. The T1 Gen 3 also went a more Nighthawk-like route as well with the tuning but took it even further and that headphone got similar bashing. Honestly DMS disliked the Nighthawk, so no surprise at dislike of the HD 8XX with their dip in the upper midrange. I personally would probably like the HD 8XX’s tuning but who knows until I hear a pair.

The biggest problem though is they changed the tuning of the headphone from what was expected based on pre-production models, which is why people are upset as it’s not what they expected it to be.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #576 of 1,479

More like we didn't order this iteration. Why they changed from early samples?

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #577 of 1,479
I have a HD800S on hand and love them so much, so placed the order for HD8XX hoping for some difference promised: as more bass and less harsh on highs.
At the same time it was obvious that DROP SHOULD!!!!! pay attention to 6000Hz spike and smooth it, but not :frowning2:(.

Removing mid range vocal at 2000 Hz by 11dB less ( ?????? What) was a terrible solution, because it kills all magic of female vocals.
With elevated bass and highs (still around 5-6kHz), it makes a hollow sound effect (warm version of V shaped tuning), but this warmth is killing detail retrieval, what Joshua Valour tried to demonstrate as picture filtering.
I have tried to simulate the graphs shown by DMS and Crinacle on my EQ equipment with HD800S and it sounds terrible. VERY VERY TERRIBLE!!!!!
And this is a final preproduction version, DMS had got number HD8XX 0025.
There is no way Drop will change the tuning.
I am cancelling my order even I have used 200$ bonus for focal pads.
So sad, better to stay with HD800S or there are so many new headphones coming soon.
I am a big fan of HD6-- series sound signature, but seems Focal engineers had implemented the best of HD6-- to their Celestee and Pro models.

Regards,
Kim

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #578 of 1,479
Just wanted to let you all know that the bulk shipment of HD8XX's are scheduled to arrive at our warehouse tomorrow, Friday Sept 17th. Upon arrival our team will work quickly to receive, repack, and ship all individual units as quickly as possible. We're hoping to get all pre-orders shipped out by early next week, and in-stock sales will start shortly after that. We have heard the comments and concerns revolving around a couple recent reviews of the HD8XX, but our internal and community tuning team is happy with the state of the headphone and the way it sounds. We know impressions are important to the community when making purchasing decisions and actively encourage youtubers, bloggers, etc. to write honest opinions about how our products sound to their own ears. Preferences are subjective and we expect to get a range of opinions. We look forward to hearing your own in the coming days. And lastly, just a quick final reminder that all HD8XX purchases are covered by our 30-day hassle free return policy. If you're unhappy for whatever reason then you can return your headphones within 30 days of receiving it for a refund so long as there isn't any physical damage to the headphones.

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #579 of 1,479
The tuning does remind me a bit like that. The T1 Gen 3 also went a more Nighthawk-like route as well with the tuning but took it even further and that headphone got similar bashing. Honestly DMS disliked the Nighthawk, so no surprise at dislike of the HD 8XX with their dip in the upper midrange. I personally would probably like the HD 8XX’s tuning but who knows until I hear a pair.

The biggest problem though is they changed the tuning of the headphone from what was expected based on pre-production models, which is why people are upset as it’s not what they expected it to be.
Oh lord I hate Audioquest headphone sound. Worst tunings ever! I also disliked T1G3 and 8XX seems to be that kinda tuning. 800 OG is chracteristically fairly lean in comparision.

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #580 of 1,479
Oh lord I hate Audioquest headphone sound. Worst tunings ever! I also disliked T1G3 and 8XX seems to be that kinda tuning. 800 OG is chracteristically fairly lean in comparision.
I personally like it and don’t even consider it near the worst tuning as it’s one of the most natural tunings to my ears, maybe it’s due to how sensitive my ears are to upper mids. The nighthawks had problems (resonances, crap cable, etc.) but I never disliked their tuning.

But I don’t think the HD 8XX should’ve had it’s tuning changed so much the last minute as it makes it different than what people were expecting. This is one of the problems with pre-ordering products. We see enough controversy in the video game industry with pre-orders.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #581 of 1,479
Just wanted to let you all know that the bulk shipment of HD8XX's are scheduled to arrive at our warehouse tomorrow, Friday Sept 17th. Upon arrival our team will work quickly to receive, repack, and ship all individual units as quickly as possible. We're hoping to get all pre-orders shipped out by early next week, and in-stock sales will start shortly after that. We have heard the comments and concerns revolving around a couple recent reviews of the HD8XX, but our internal and community tuning team is happy with the state of the headphone and the way it sounds. We know impressions are important to the community when making purchasing decisions and actively encourage youtubers, bloggers, etc. to write honest opinions about how our products sound to their own ears. Preferences are subjective and we expect to get a range of opinions. We look forward to hearing your own in the coming days. And lastly, just a quick final reminder that all HD8XX purchases are covered by our 30-day hassle free return policy. If you're unhappy for whatever reason then you can return your headphones within 30 days of receiving it for a refund so long as there isn't any physical damage to the headphones.
Some comments from Drop site regarding to a new tuning HD8XX, where I tried to get more details about frequency response and technical information.

Screenshot 2021-09-17 053645.png

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #583 of 1,479
I acutally cancel my order earlier today after seeing Kevin's response. I can't think of any other word other then "tone deaf" to describe his reponse.

The fact he basically said, "other reviewers are entitled to their opinion but we like this tuning so we're sticking with this tuning" is beyond ridiculous the state this company is.

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #584 of 1,479
"Just wanted to let you all know that the bulk shipment of HD8XX's are scheduled to arrive at our warehouse tomorrow, Friday Sept 17th. Upon arrival our team will work quickly to receive, repack, and ship all individual units as quickly as possible. We're hoping to get all pre-orders shipped out by early next week, and in-stock sales will start shortly after that. We have heard the comments and concerns revolving around a couple recent reviews of the HD8XX, but our internal and community tuning team is happy with the state of the headphone and the way it sounds. We know impressions are important to the community when making purchasing decisions and actively encourage youtubers, bloggers, etc. to write honest opinions about how our products sound to their own ears. Preferences are subjective and we expect to get a range of opinions. We look forward to hearing your own in the coming days. And lastly, just a quick final reminder that all HD8XX purchases are covered by our 30-day hassle free return policy. If you're unhappy for whatever reason then you can return your headphones within 30 days of receiving it for a refund so long as there isn't any physical damage to the headphones."

i.e. "We heard your concerns and don't care. The people who said these don't sound good are lying."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back