Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Sep 22, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #601 of 1,479
Probably expecting a bunch of returns and will update with more stock once that is settled. I doubt they will make more of these, probably left a sour taste.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #603 of 1,479
I find it a bit lame that they changed the drop points with purchase from 20,000 ($200) to 5,500 ($55). They sort of indicated previously that the price and points bonus would remain the same until November at least.

This drop has been wacky so I'm not that surprised, just disappointed. For those who wanted to actually wait to order and pay until they started shipping, they got a bit bait-and-switched.

I do wonder if they will make any more of these after the initial batch sells through. I guess it will depend on community impressions and reviews.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #605 of 1,479
I find it a bit lame that they changed the drop points with purchase from 20,000 ($200) to 5,500 ($55). They sort of indicated previously that the price and points bonus would remain the same until November at least.

This drop has been wacky so I'm not that surprised, just disappointed. For those who wanted to actually wait to order and pay until they started shipping, they got a bit bait-and-switched.

I do wonder if they will make any more of these after the initial batch sells through. I guess it will depend on community impressions and reviews.
Another thing i noticed is how they suggested that buyers use the drop points towards one of their amps, which would then cost only $100 if you used your drop points which has now been reduced to $200 meaning you would not have to fork the extra $100.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #606 of 1,479
i.e. "We heard your concerns and don't care. The people who said these don't sound good are lying."
Not "lying", just have a different subjective take. I frankly don't care what Crinnacle or DMS says about the 8XX, I've in the past found my ears like headphones they're not thrilled about, so while I actually enjoy their content and think they're honest reviewers, their opinions don't control my purchasing decisions.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #607 of 1,479
Wow! They have a defective product, so their response to it is to ship it sooner so that fewer people have the chance to cancel? Talk about business practices that alienate your customer base. That's terrible.
No, so more people have the chance to hear them for themselves, decide for themselves, and return them for a refund if they don't like them.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #608 of 1,479
Not "lying", just have a different subjective take. I frankly don't care what Crinnacle or DMS says about the 8XX, I've in the past found my ears like headphones they're not thrilled about, so while I actually enjoy their content and think they're honest reviewers, their opinions don't control my purchasing decisions.
Same. I saw the same stuff with the mdr-z1r and ther initial reviews. Lots of talk about graphs and a bandwagon of hate, but now they have a cult following and most seem to like them.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #609 of 1,479
Same. I saw the same stuff with the mdr-z1r and ther initial reviews. Lots of talk about graphs and a bandwagon of hate, but now they have a cult following and most seem to like them.
That is why audio is such a subjective hobby. The one thing I almost so sure of is that those who never heard 800s, will love 8XX, but the one who does will not like it…because the people who love 800s do love it for one of the very specific reason !!! The full mid spectrum while having vast soundstage

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #610 of 1,479
Agreed. I normally don't care for what reviewer have to say nor do I give a F about any graphs. I like what I like and nothing anyone or any charts can change it.

What irked me was the fact that they didn't send any notice regarding the tuning change. While this didn't stop me from keeping my preorder as I mention before I don't care about the graphs/reviews, it is common courtsey to provide an update for any changes. Really shows how Drop values customer service.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #611 of 1,479
That is why audio is such a subjective hobby. The one thing I almost so sure of is that those who never heard 800s, will love 8XX, but the one who does will not like it…because the people who love 800s do love it for one of the very specific reason !!! The full mid spectrum while having vast soundstage
Yeah, that's one reason why I joined this morning and am still stoked to get the 8XX.. I've never heard the 800S or 800 so I have no basis for comparison to those models anyway -- I get why some who have may really not like the 8XX, and that's totally understandable.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #612 of 1,479
Curious what you will think of them. Honestly same, I found I disagree with or dislike half the headphones they like. I developed and understand my own preferences, don’t really need to rely on others to tell me whether a headphone is good or not to me.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #613 of 1,479
Agreed. I normally don't care for what reviewer have to say nor do I give a F about any graphs. I like what I like and nothing anyone or any charts can change it.

What irked me was the fact that they didn't send any notice regarding the tuning change. While this didn't stop me from keeping my preorder as I mention before I don't care about the graphs/reviews, it is common courtsey to provide an update for any changes. Really shows how Drop values customer service.
Yeah, no doubt, people who bought based on what DROP originally said about the tuning have a right to be disgruntled, but that's what cancellations and returns are for at least... but I can understand the disappointment.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #614 of 1,479
Yeah, I wasn't very enthused with the original, very close to 800S sound. Now that it's different, I'd be more inclined to really wanna try the new version.

I dunno why people want the same headphone that's already sold today. Did anyone really think Drop was gonna give you an improved 800S for a lower price, while Sennheiser is still selling the 800S? Come on. I mean the 6XX is an odd one out sure, but most of Drop headphones aren't meant to be better than the thing they take from. They're meant to be Drop's tuning version of what they want to see out of specific headphones. AT least that's how I see it. As for the 8XX, I feel they were stuck in a place they'd lose regardless of which way they went.

If you want the 800, get the 800, if you want the 800S, get the 800S. Let the 8XX be its own thing for those that would like that form factor with a warmer, different sound.

I'm also just tired of people riding measurements super hard like it tells everything about a headphone. It doesn't. It's one data point.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #615 of 1,479
Yeah, no doubt, people who bought based on what DROP originally said about the tuning have a right to be disgruntled, but that's what cancellations and returns are for at least... but I can understand the disappointment.
I initially cancel my order after Kevin's response since I was pretty piss that they gave such a corporate response. After a day of contemplating, I reorder the headphone because I'll probably stop supporting drop but I still want the headphones :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back