Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #151 of 1,479
I have both and they have slightly different sound signatures
Interesting. I’ll have to take a closer look. One reviewer said they were the same. I’ll have to check out the FR curve. How are they different?

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #153 of 1,479
I've thought similar. Getting a young investor in who could spearhead sales in consumer electronics is exactly what they need, especially because I've never seen Sennheiser have a penchant for good advertising.

Sometimes people make great engineers and lousy businessmen. That Verge story sounded to me like they just want to do all the fun stuff again and not have to worry about the stress. If that means their Neumann stuff gets better for it, I'm not opposed.
Their partnership with Drop is an example of lousy business acumen. The 6xx completely sabotages their 5 series line. Why would anyone buy an hd599 for 199 when for 30 dollars more they can buy a hd6xx. It's forcing them to slash prices on their HD 5 models to complete.. with themselves. Insanity on their part.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #156 of 1,479
Their partnership with Drop is an example of lousy business acumen. The 6xx completely sabotages their 5 series line. Why would anyone buy an hd599 for 199 when for 30 dollars more they can buy a hd6xx. It's forcing them to slash prices on their HD 5 models to complete.. with themselves. Insanity on their part.
Totally agree and it breaks my heart to see what Drop has done for Senn's product line. I honestly can't remember the last time Drop released an exciting product...perhaps Mass was still in the name.

The sooner people realize these drop-shippers tend to turn into absolute vultures (it's not just Drop...this happens all the time in the cosmetics world), the sooner we can stop funding their lousy operations and letting the market correct itself.

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #158 of 1,479
Is it true that there is NO out of warranty support for these? You buy it, in 25 months it breaks and you're out $1100. Crazy.

Just found the quote saying 'we don't offer out of warranty repairs'. Don't mean to be harsh and different strokes for different folks and all that... but I think you'd have to be crazy to buy an $1100 headphone with no out of warranty service available.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #159 of 1,479
Shipping Nov 2021

1613690613028.png

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #160 of 1,479
Is it true that there is NO out of warranty support for these? You buy it, in 25 months it breaks and you're out $1100. Crazy.

Just found the quote saying 'we don't offer out of warranty repairs'. Don't mean to be harsh and different strokes for different folks and all that... but I think you'd have to be crazy to buy an $1100 headphone with no out of warranty service available.
Apparently 333 people are willing to take that risk. I agree with you, though, not a snowball's chance I'd take that risk.

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #161 of 1,479
Apparently 333 people are willing to take that risk. I agree with you, though, not a snowball's chance I'd take that risk.

I wonder how many of these people are aware of this fact? I was thinking of ordering a pair till I ran into that 'no service' quote in this thread. If you read through this thread and missed that quote.... who would think Massdrop and Sennheiser would screw the service pooch so hard?

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #162 of 1,479
The hd800s ain’t hard to work on, and so a lot of people modify the original 800 or even color them up. Also, out of warranty would be Sennheiser to tackle isn’t it ? It is their brand and products, they just have to work on it, period

Anniversary pics for fun7278AA23-019A-45BB-A1B7-8236794FD5AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #163 of 1,479
The hd800s ain’t hard to work on, and so a lot of people modify the original 800 or even color them up. Also, out of warranty would be Sennheiser to tackle isn’t it ? It is their brand and products, they just have to work on it, period
Considering one of the Drop reps said, point blank, that Sennheiser doesn't handle any of the RMA work from Drop-purchased pairs, I doubt it. Seems to me that you are completely on your own after 2 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back