Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #961 of 1,479
Placed my order today for these. Currently have the Drop Sennheiser HD6XX using a Soundblaster X7. I would like to get a shorter cable for the 8XX as I will use these at my pc desk and do not want to deal with such a long cable. Any recommendations?
AudiophileNinja.com makes great cables at a very good price.

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #963 of 1,479
Thanks for the suggestion. They are out of stock at the moment so will have to check back with them.
They custom build for you, and turnaround is very quick. Usually about a week.

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #964 of 1,479
Placed my order today for these. Currently have the Drop Sennheiser HD6XX using a Soundblaster X7. I would like to get a shorter cable for the 8XX as I will use these at my pc desk and do not want to deal with such a long cable. Any recommendations?
You're going to love these coming from the 6xx.

I love Hart Audio Cables. I bought a cable from them for my Sundara and it's awesome. You pick the connector type, and all cables terminate in XLR. You can add a termination of your choice (3.5mm for example).

Just bought one for my 8xx a few days ago, ran me about $95 with shipping.

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #965 of 1,479
As a reminder, according to @tranqfx (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/drop-sennheiser-hd-8xx.25588/reviews), if you remove 2 of the tuning stickers you get the best of both worlds tuning/timber wise between the 8XX & 800S.
  • 2K reduction is much less pronounced (Better vocals, much closer to 800S)
  • Bass improvement from 8XX still retained.
I haven't tried this mod yet, because mine arrived DOA, & I'm waiting for a replacement.

But I think that this is the crazy value that we wanted from Drop to begin with. And if we can get close to the 800S tonally/timbre-wise for the enthusiast (with the mod) while making them more appealing to the general public bass/body/price wise (stock), it is a huge win for the community.

These stickers that he removes are behind the ear pads?

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #967 of 1,479
Same, bruv. Gonna have to watch Drop more carefully from now on...
I went in on the balanced cable deal so technically I got the 8XX for $800 which is still great...but I honestly didn't care much for the overpriced cable. I told myself to wait for a proper sale instead of a bundle but I caved and didn't think there would be any more sales after the holiday season, at least for a while. Boy was I wrong. I'm gonna have to avoid this thread for a couple days so I forget.

I wonder how different the 8XX story would have gone if they released it sub $1k like everyone was expecting. Just $100 less at $999 would have made a big impact imo. I wonder if the 8XX pricing had anything to do with Headphones.com incredible $990 Focal Clear pricing and Drop/Sennheiser felt that the 8XX should be more expensive.

They are evening the HD8XX discount!!
Do you mean "ending"?

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #968 of 1,479
Got my $700 HD-8XX today. You be the judge on whether I finally crossed over mid fi to top of the line.

I’d actually just bought a Schiit Lokius to scratch a gear itch when I heard about the 8XX discount. So I bought with some confidence that I could make adjustments.

I read all the things about 8XX and alternative upgrades from HD 6XX. I’d just sold an Elear. Couldn’t justify $1k investments to get there with trade offs, or $2,500+ to go all in, but I could do $700, new, authorized dealer (and quick ship!).

I usually prefer speaker monitors at my desk while working at home. Now I’m more inclined to multitask with 8XX, but for now, that’s mostly new toy bias. It’s warmer and tighter on my head than I thought it would be.

My MCTH drives the 8XX fine (fed by Bifrost 2). Volume knob 11:00 yields 80+ dB into an iPhone app with the butt of the phone shoved in the headphone cup. At 1:00, 85+ dB. Full power should be 125 SPL, but that’s based on 1 W into 50 Ω plugged into an equation, which seems to slightly under-estimate actual SPL at 300 Ω.

Nothing I’ve listened to sounds objectionable. I’m listening to Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers right now, and that’s been the least enjoyable of the other classic and indie rock I’ve put through it today. I’m not inclined to crank this up. That said, I get a lot out of it at 80 dB.

I’ve tried boosting 2 kHz on Lokius with slight fading at adjacent 400 Hz and 6 kHz. That does indeed seem more favorable, but it’s not like it was unacceptable without EQ.

I’m most struck by the bass. I can hear the notes, the playing, rather than a vague booming. I’m exaggerating to make the point. Partly because 8XX commentary seems more about the highs, but also because bass can be hard to get just right.

Swapping for the 6XX, that one sounds more congested. But more forgiving of higher volume. I’d hear something on the 8XX that I hadn’t before, check with 6XX, and I could still hear it—knowing now to listen for it. So 6XX remains beguiling as ever.

Well worth the plunge for $700. I can do without considering Focal Clear MG for twice as much.

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #969 of 1,479
Got my $700 HD-8XX today. You be the judge on whether I finally crossed over mid fi to top of the line.

I’d actually just bought a Schiit Lokius to scratch a gear itch when I heard about the 8XX discount. So I bought with some confidence that I could make adjustments.

I read all the things about 8XX and alternative upgrades from HD 6XX. I’d just sold an Elear. Couldn’t justify $1k investments to get there with trade offs, or $2,500+ to go all in, but I could do $700, new, authorized dealer (and quick ship!).

I usually prefer speaker monitors at my desk while working at home. Now I’m more inclined to multitask with 8XX, but for now, that’s mostly new toy bias. It’s warmer and tighter on my head than I thought it would be.

My MCTH drives the 8XX fine (fed by Bifrost 2). Volume knob 11:00 yields 80+ dB into an iPhone app with the butt of the phone shoved in the headphone cup. At 1:00, 85+ dB. Full power should be 125 SPL, but that’s based on 1 W into 50 Ω plugged into an equation, which seems to slightly under-estimate actual SPL at 300 Ω.

Nothing I’ve listened to sounds objectionable. I’m listening to Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers right now, and that’s been the least enjoyable of the other classic and indie rock I’ve put through it today. I’m not inclined to crank this up. That said, I get a lot out of it at 80 dB.

I’ve tried boosting 2 kHz on Lokius with slight fading at adjacent 400 Hz and 6 kHz. That does indeed seem more favorable, but it’s not like it was unacceptable without EQ.

I’m most struck by the bass. I can hear the notes, the playing, rather than a vague booming. I’m exaggerating to make the point. Partly because 8XX commentary seems more about the highs, but also because bass can be hard to get just right.

Swapping for the 6XX, that one sounds more congested. But more forgiving of higher volume. I’d hear something on the 8XX that I hadn’t before, check with 6XX, and I could still hear it—knowing now to listen for it. So 6XX remains beguiling as ever.

Well worth the plunge for $700. I can do without considering Focal Clear MG for twice as much.
Agree with everything you wrote. You're definitely in "hi-fi/summit-fi" now. The 8xx are a powerhouse, even if you don't like the default tuning they can easily be EQed.

I totally agree with the bass, I had similar notes written down as I intend you write a review on Drop. I've never heard such detail and texture in bass on an open back. Typically open backs struggle with bass and even for those that do well (560s being one IMO), the bass notes never feel super detailed and layered. Not so on these 8xx, listening to the bassist in something like Snarky Puppy is a totally different experience, I feel like I can hear the plucking and texture.

I think the biggest mistake they made was pricing. As someone above mentioned I think a $999 price would have at least gotten them into more hands initially and could have evened out the impressions. Instead their launch price made many apprehensive and only a few reviewers/YouTubers got them for review, and a few trashed them. Unfortunately that narrative took over.

It is laughable to me that these would be considered "unlistenable". They sound phenomenal.

Feb 16, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #970 of 1,479
Got my $700 HD-8XX today...
I should have noted percussion is also very distinct, like the bass. You could study drummers with these.

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #971 of 1,479
Let me see what's possible.
Mine were delivered Jan 11th, just outside the 30-day window before the discount started. If you guys can give us any wiggle room that would be legendary!

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #972 of 1,479
You're going to love these coming from the 6xx.

Not so on these 8xx, listening to the bassist in something like Snarky Puppy is a totally different experience, I feel like I can hear the plucking and texture.
It is laughable to me that these would be considered "unlistenable". They sound phenomenal.
I should have noted percussion is also very distinct, like the bass. You could study drummers with these.

Oh my, how can I resist! I've had them in my Drop cart since I found out about the discount. I caved a little while ago...

The HD6XX renewed my enjoyment for headphone listening. I think they are fantastic. I look forward to seeing how these comments translate to my ears!
:):beerchug::)

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #973 of 1,479
I went in on the balanced cable deal so technically I got the 8XX for $800 which is still great...but I honestly didn't care much for the overpriced cable. I told myself to wait for a proper sale instead of a bundle but I caved and didn't think there would be any more sales after the holiday season, at least for a while. Boy was I wrong. I'm gonna have to avoid this thread for a couple days so I forget.

I wonder how different the 8XX story would have gone if they released it sub $1k like everyone was expecting. Just $100 less at $999 would have made a big impact imo. I wonder if the 8XX pricing had anything to do with Headphones.com incredible $990 Focal Clear pricing and Drop/Sennheiser felt that the 8XX should be more expensive.

Do you mean "ending"?
No , I was kidding, the op said that they are increasing prices to some other headphones and I said that they are doing it to get even with the 8xx discount...

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #975 of 1,479
I got them today and the treble is unbearable. I’m going to return them, a bit of weirdness in the sound signature is ok but this is just painful.
good thing you didn't get the hd800s then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back