Official Team Gin-Fi! Gin Appreciation Thread
Jan 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't stop thinking of Hendricks...that is THE best gin!

a new convert! welcome to the cult of Hendricksology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Better than Tanqueray? I'll have to try that some time...

it makes Tanqueray taste like rubbing alcohol. no offense to Tanq fans, of course.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #47 of 63
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #48 of 63
wow, old bump

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #49 of 63
Im pretty fond of gin. I like it neat, but a nice cold G and T is gooood. I like it with a bit of lemon. Strange, i never used to like tonic water neat but love that now too and find myself drinking it out of the bottle from the fridge when i get in from school on a hot day. Refreshing, and the strong taste doesnt take away from that oddly.

Anyway, i havnt tasted perticular gin's, im only 15, but whenever mum or her boyfriend have one i would like one too. Im never allowed though at home. Dad isnt so strict, but even at his i rarley drink a drop.

Neat gin is nice, but a cold g and t with ice and a good tonic water is pretty yummy too.

Occasionally i think, mmmm a g and t would be nice now...Is that really bad at my age? lol

At least it is controlled when i rarley drink. I belive kids that arent allowed to drink in moderation at home only go out and drink uncontrollably with their friends on the street. Thats what happens with people in my year at school and from the town my school is in.

Matt

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #50 of 63
Where have all the gin-fi members gone? Sleeping of their hangovers? Any Plymouth gin drinkers here? I've tried Gordon's, Beefeaters, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire and a Dutch gin from Bols (that was really good but went out of production because I was the only one drinking it), but Plymouth is so smooth, it's the only gin that doesn't absolutely need tonic, martini or something else to take the sharpness out of it.

Plymouth + Martini extra dry + Beyerdynamic DT990 (old school) = heaven.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #53 of 63
Wow, missed this thread the first time out... interesting suggestions, I'll have to give at least Kendricks and Cascade Mountain a try. I AM big on botanicals, but have always felt that Sapphire was too 'perfumey'.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, missed this thread the first time out... interesting suggestions, I'll have to give at least Kendricks and Cascade Mountain a try. I AM big on botanicals, but have always felt that Sapphire was too 'perfumey'.

Hendricks. with an H.
wink.gif

it's more herbally than perfumey, with strong hints of cucumber... very refreshing, perfect for summertime.

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where have all the gin-fi members gone? Sleeping of their hangovers? Any Plymouth gin drinkers here? I've tried Gordon's, Beefeaters, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire and a Dutch gin from Bols (that was really good but went out of production because I was the only one drinking it), but Plymouth is so smooth, it's the only gin that doesn't absolutely need tonic, martini or something else to take the sharpness out of it.

Plymouth + Martini extra dry + Beyerdynamic DT990 (old school) = heaven.

Yes, Plymouth is my favourite now. I was drinking Bombay Sapphire, but read about Plymouth, tried it, and haven't looked back. It's slightly cheaper than Bombay Sapphire as well.

Either gin and tonic with lime, or in a very dry martini works for me.

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #56 of 63
I was invited to a party simply because I owned an electric guitar. When I got there the guitar case was taken from my hand and replaced with a drink that was never allowed to go empty.

I can't tell ya what kind of drink it was; but the smell of Gin will always bring on an upset stomach.

...and that was fifty years ago!

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #57 of 63
I never could get in to Gin. I tried a few times but couldn't develop a liking for it. They always tasted either like pine needles or dirt.(Never tried pine needles but it's what I imagine they would taste like)

What kind of flavors are you Gin aficionados detecting from your liquor?

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #58 of 63
I am a Tanqueray or Beefeater fan. I can't STAND Bombay Saphire. It is too sweet and has a strange taste to it. In fact I can't stand any of the Bombay Gins. I have not tried Hendricks yet, but I have an unopened bottle waiting to be opened (after I polish of my latest Beefeater).

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[college]
seagrums and store brand tonic is great!
[/college]

You know... If I'm getting a bunch for a party or something I'll pick up Segrams. It's not too bad. It's better than Gilbys and I prefer it to any of the Bombay gins. Still Beefeater is my old standby. Makes a G&T just right.
600smile.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #60 of 63
Anyone tried Broker's? I just picked up a bottle for the first time. It has a little bowler hat on the cap. I think it's OK but I think Plymouth is better. Tough to tell without a side-by-side test though.

I'm pretty sure Plymouth has gone up in price here. It's more expensive than Bombay, Tanqueray, etc. now. Hendrick's is quite a bit more expensive though -- I haven't tried it yet. I'm worried I might like it too much! :wink:

Has anybody else encountered Plymouth "Navy Strength"? I got a little bottle of it attached to the regular one once. Has a nice extra kick to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back