Official Team Gin-Fi! Gin Appreciation Thread
Dec 9, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately, Hendrick's Gin. Lovely stuff, makes a great martini.

Hendricks and Blackwoods 60 are the only two non-Martini gin gins which I can stand to make a Martini with. I'd rather have tonic with either of them any time though.

The St Andrews University Gin Society had its first tasting on Thursday. We had some saffron gin from France.

s7156.jpg

Neat it was okay, with tonic it was metallic and generally unpleasant.

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #17 of 63
Mmmmmm.......Tanqueray and Tonic over ice. The quinine in tonic gives it an extra psychoactive kick.......think absinthe.

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put down the yellow label, exported airport duty free bottle and pick up the proper green glass bottle. The difference is not small.

Next time I'm looking for a bottle, will do. Magnitudes better, in your opinion?

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately, Hendrick's Gin. Lovely stuff, makes a great martini.

i'm a Scotch man, never liked gin. but Hendrick's totally converted me. it's got a great, complex, herbal flavor that actually tastes like what it was distilled from and infused with.

i drink my Hendrick's over ice with a slice of cucumber (or lime in a pinch). it's good enough that a mixer only takes away from it.

Hendrick's leaves Tanq and Bombay in the dust, IMHO.

hendricks_gin.jpg

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #20 of 63
ive been a fan of tanqueray rangpur for making gimlets with, its incredibly smooth and tasty. im not really much of a fan of the flavor in bombay sapphire, doesnt really do it for me. im gonna pick up a bottle of hendricks when i get home, this town has nothing as far as good gin selection

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #21 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm a Scotch man, never liked gin. but Hendrick's totally converted me. it's got a great, complex, herbal flavor that actually tastes like what it was distilled from and infused with.

i drink my Hendrick's over ice with a slice of cucumber (or lime in a pinch). it's good enough that a mixer only takes away from it.

Hendrick's leaves Tanq and Bombay in the dust, IMHO.

hendricks_gin.jpg

I haven't tried it over ice. I shall do so at the earliest opportunity.

I have made martinis with a cucumber slice, though. Complements the drink perfectly.

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #22 of 63
Hmmm, Hendrick's .. I too will have to give that a try, and the Green bottle Gordon's.

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #23 of 63
I got a bottle of Tanqueray Rangpur recently and am really liking it. I think that Gin & Cranberry Juice is fast edging out Gin & Tonic as my favourite, but it might just be those Rangpur botanicals.
smily_headphones1.gif

I want to give Tanqueray no.10 a try next, as I enjoy a good martini on occasion.

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 63
Hendrick's has proven the most flavorful to me. Usually with tonic but at times neet. Always with a lemon.

Dec 11, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #25 of 63
Cranberry juice has no place going near any tastebud no matter what its mixed with. The foul red tannin saturated filth that it is.

And lemon or lime should only be used to augment the flavour when an inferior tonic is used. Condiments are for food, not for drink.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cranberry juice has no place going near any tastebud no matter what its mixed with. The foul red tannin saturated filth that it is.

I also like red wine. Bite me.
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #28 of 63
Just something against cranberry juice then?
smily_headphones1.gif

Just to confirm, the drink I am talking about goes like this:
Fill the glass full of ice
1 1/2 oz Tanqueray Rangpur gin
3 oz cranberry juice
Garnish with lime

I still like gin & tonic, and even gin on the rocks [with the rangpur anyways, not sure about other gins], but have been enjoying a gin & cran when I get home after a long day.
wink.gif

I'm also not a huge fan of cranberry juice on its own, but will drink it if it is there.

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #29 of 63
Yeah, im big against cranberry juice. Its right up there with honey and baked beans for things I cannot put in my mouth. Nothing is worse than honey though, that will make me gag spasm and convulse if I taste it unexpectedly. Last time I ate what I though was a caramel chocolate which had honey in it I was nearly sick on the spot.

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #30 of 63
I love good honey on toast, and 'bangers, beans and mash' is one of my favourite things to eat at the pub. There are things that I just can't stomach though, so I hear you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back