Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Dec 5, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #1,036 of 2,001
Fond of any local real ale...when I was out though the other night found somewhere with a Brookyn pumpkin ale on draught...It was gorgeous and I was very impressed, I had idea you guys knew how to make a proper ale

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #1,038 of 2,001

Just had a Westvleteren 12 this past weekend to belatedly celebrate my birthday after having a sore throat for one and a half weeks.  Very good quadrupel/belgian strong dark ale, but I wouldn't rate it as the best beer in the world that it is typically considered as being. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #1,039 of 2,001
yeah, Westvleteren, you like it or you don't. I agree with you.
Btw, that's wat yoo much foam
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #1,040 of 2,001

Quote:
yeah, Westvleteren, you like it or you don't. I agree with you.
Btw, that's wat yoo much foam
wink.gif

Maybe I had a bottle with too much yeast in it for bottle fermentation, but I had very gently poured it and had maybe 1.5 fingers of head with an inch to spare at the top of the glass. However, the head kept increasing after I poured it until it started extending over the lip of the glass.  There was definitely active carbonation and it kept feeding the head. 

The same thing happened with the bottle of Westvleteren 8 that I had.  Very active carbonation and despite a gentle pour, the head grew quickly on me. 

I still have a few more bottles of each from what a friend in Belgium had sent me that I will keep and try over the next few years to see if a little age improves my impression of the 12 and the 8.  At this point, six months after bottling, I did enjoy the 8 more than the 12. 

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #1,041 of 2,001
Tonights most excellent choices....

and

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #1,042 of 2,001

Had that one last night...it was good but I was not overly impressed. Solid beer though.

Quote:

Fond of any local real ale...when I was out though the other night found somewhere with a Brookyn pumpkin ale on draught...It was gorgeous and I was very impressed, I had idea you guys knew how to make a proper ale

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #1,043 of 2,001
Dec 16, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #1,045 of 2,001
Nice...you're a lucky person...lol...I bought the store out of Founders yesterday. I am most impressed by their stuff. I just hope the store restocks it. Especially the Breakfast Stout...boy was that good stuff.

I have two Dirtys in the fridge now...I'll give'em a try tonight.

Quote:
Quote:
Tonights most excellent choices....

and

Founders is just 1 hour north of my house. You must try the Dirty person.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #1,046 of 2,001
I just had Innis & Gunn for the first time last night. It was pretty mind blowing. Anyone know of any other beers of a similar style? (bonus points if you know of one available in ontario!)

I have also become a pretty big fan of dark lagers. My favorite I have found was from this one brewery in Toronto called Dennison (their wheat beer is also delicious). Anyone have any suggestions for other dark lagers?

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #1,047 of 2,001

2 days ago I've had a Gouden Carolus Cuvée of the Emperor Blue from 2006 and a bottle of Gouden Carolus from 1987.
The cuvée of the Emperor was delicious and the one from 1987 had evolved in something port-like. It was extremely good.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #1,049 of 2,001
Nothing too special tonight, first had a 750 of DFH Miles Davis Bitches' Brew, which despite my love for DFH did not manage to impress. Now I'm having an old standby: Allagash Tripel, a fairly good and very affordable take on the style. Never had a Gouden Carolus, but right now I really would like to try it.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,050 of 2,001
I have a bottle of Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Kaiser Blauw from 2008 that I haven't opened just yet since I was cellaring it, but I may have to buy a new bottle just to try it out so I have a basis for comparison later.  This dark strong ale seems to have a lot of fans who really like it with a bit of age on it. 

Quote:

2 days ago I've had a Gouden Carolus Cuvée of the Emperor Blue from 2006 and a bottle of Gouden Carolus from 1987.
The cuvée of the Emperor was delicious and the one from 1987 had evolved in something port-like. It was extremely good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back