Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jan 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,066 of 2,001

Quote:
Aw shucks...this thread is awfully neglected lately.

Maybe it's all been covered in the previous seventy pages?

I noticed that too.  Here's a couple I just recently had.  I veered off my IPA track for these.

The Dirty person is great, that's all I have to say about that.

The Black Jack is such a typical Porter, I have nothing more to say about that one.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #1,067 of 2,001

Well.. maybe I'm the only IPA guy here...  They're definitely my favorite type of brew.  The floral and fruity aroma/flavor, crisp taste, and a bit of a bitter bite at the end.  Nothing has ever quenched my thirst so well.  They are my default beer and drink them probably 80% of the time.  I do love trying all different recipes though. 

Stone IPA from San Diego, CA is by far the best I've had to date, though there are quite a few good ones.

As a bonus, hops have lots of health benefits, why not get a little extra :wink:   

They are one of the most phyto-estrogenic herbs out there, so as a guy it may be healthier to avoid hoppier beers.

Unless you're one who believes that phyto estrogens are blocking receptors that could be switched by much more powerful xeno-estrogens.

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #1,068 of 2,001

Quote:
Quote:
Aw shucks...this thread is awfully neglected lately.

Maybe it's all been covered in the previous seventy pages?

I noticed that too.  Here's a couple I just recently had.  I veered off my IPA track for these.

The Dirty person is great, that's all I have to say about that.

The Black Jack is such a typical Porter, I have nothing more to say about that one.

The Dirty person is one of my favorite high abv beers.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #1,069 of 2,001
Until there is actual evidence (as in humans, not rats) showing that the amount of hops used for brewing IPA's results in a beer with a significant level of phytoestrogens, making it's consumption capable of altering natural endocrine function, I'm not at all worried about drinking IPA's.  Many of the incidences that revealed the activity of phytoestrogens in Hops were involving humans who were around the herb all day (field workers), or who consumed potent preparations for medicinal/therapeutic use.  I admit, I used to be scared of consuming any soy products for this same reason, but research has revealed there are no effects on male endocrine systems with normal consumption.  Though, I still don't care for soy that much.  There definitely is good reason to remain aware of phytoestrogens, as there have been incidences where they can have dramatic effects on human biology.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa064725
That's a scary example.

Considering many molecules in plants which are classified as phytoestrogens are thought to have very beneficial effects on human health, (resveratrol, those in soy), I'm not going to worry about the IPA's I drink.  

As for the xenoestrogen theory, I have to admit I don't have much knowledge regarding xenobiotics found in humans, though I am sure there must be a good number. 

Here's a decent research paper done on Hops and beer, http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/reprint/84/6/2249

Quote:

They are one of the most phyto-estrogenic herbs out there, so as a guy it may be healthier to avoid hoppier beers.

Unless you're one who believes that phyto estrogens are blocking receptors that could be switched by much more powerful xeno-estrogens.

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #1,070 of 2,001

Until there is actual evidence (as in humans, not rats) showing that the amount of hops used for brewing IPA's results in a beer with a significant level of phytoestrogens, making it's consumption capable of altering natural endocrine function, I'm not at all worried about drinking IPA's.  Many of the incidences that revealed the activity of phytoestrogens in Hops were involving humans who were around the herb all day (field workers), or who consumed potent preparations for medicinal/therapeutic use.  I admit, I used to be scared of consuming any soy products for this same reason, but research has revealed there are no effects on male endocrine systems with normal consumption.  Though, I still don't care for soy that much.  There definitely is good reason to remain aware of phytoestrogens, as there have been incidences where they can have dramatic effects on human biology.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa064725
That's a scary example.

Considering many molecules in plants which are classified as phytoestrogens are thought to have very beneficial effects on human health, (resveratrol, those in soy), I'm not going to worry about the IPA's I drink.  

As for the xenoestrogen theory, I have to admit I don't have much knowledge regarding xenobiotics found in humans, though I am sure there must be a good number. 

Here's a decent research paper done on Hops and beer, http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/reprint/84/6/2249

Good to know that the effects aren't too bad with beer - I was mostly just countering the 'Hops are great for you' message...maybe not so great is all.

I don't like overhopped beers because one flavor o'erpowers all the others. I like my beer like I like my women - complex and full of alcohol!

Er...wait...

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,071 of 2,001
Here's Fathead's Draft lineup from Saturday.  I tried the Goggle Fogger, Duke of Lager, and the Columbus Brewing IPA.  They were all excellent but I find I just have to have a Goggle Fogger Hefe Weizen whenever it's on tap.  It's just like the freshest you'll find in Bavaria.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #1,072 of 2,001
Having this one at the moment

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #1,073 of 2,001
Sipping on this one, but it's going to be difficult to make it last long

rodenbach2008.jpg

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #1,074 of 2,001
dsc4450elysiandragonsto.jpg

Elysian - Dragons Tooth Stout (7.5% ABV)
- Nice thick, creamy, almost syrup like pouring action
- Light fresh/flowery Hops & kinda nutty aromatics
- Heavy, thick, creamy mouthy feel
- Semi-sharpish, malty alcohol, and abit of bitter hops
- Lots of dark, complex, roasted malty flavors, with a light hoppy bitter back
- I really like this .. very good hearty, malty, alcoholy & light bitter hoppy beer
- 8/10

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #1,075 of 2,001
Here is a shot of the taps and the draft list from The Beer Engine in Lakewood Ohio.

I tried the Left Hand Polestar which is a nice crisp and fairly bitter German Pils and the North Coast Brother Thelonious a very rich Belgian strong ale with notes of plums and raisins.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #1,076 of 2,001
The next day I visited The Brew Kettle and got similar shots there.

I think this place was voted best brewpub in the US on RateBeer.com a couple of years ago.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #1,077 of 2,001
How was that Founders Red Rye you ordered there? I was about to pick one up while I was in the USA but wound up grabbing the Founders Porter instead. I thought it was absolutely delicious, by the way. Definite recommend.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #1,079 of 2,001

I had two Bell's Oarsman while watching a movie tonight. Delicious beer, probably the most refreshing and quickest to finish beers I've had. I normally take notes when I first try a beer but the pictures you guys take step it up to the next level
Quote:
How was that Founders Red Rye you ordered there? I was about to pick one up while I was in the USA but wound up grabbing the Founders Porter instead. I thought it was absolutely delicious, by the way. Definite recommend.

Both are phenomenal beers.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #1,080 of 2,001

Quote:

I really liked it, it's nicely hoppy with caramel and spicy rye undertones.  You really can't go wrong with anything from Founder's Brewery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back