Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Mar 21, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #376 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7.5% alcohol.LOL

If your only concerned with the alcohol content and don't care about taste, I guess that makes them a good beer. I would rather have a great tasting beer and drink more of them :)

I just tried Dogfish Head India Brown Ale... fantastic.

On the subject of high alcohol beers... Has anyone tried the Sam Adams Utopia?

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #377 of 2,001
High alcohol beers you say
biggrin.gif
Drink a couple of "Arogant person" ales and you'll be on your ass in no time! There are lots of fantastic tasting beers at over 8% and some at 9% that are really tasty and will **** you up in no time!
tongue.gif

These are actually the ones I like the most, dark brews are not only healthier for you, in my opinion they taste better, but they usually also have higher alcohol content. Just steer clear of Guinness, it's over-marketed crap compared to nice Stouts.

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #378 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High alcohol beers you say
biggrin.gif
Drink a couple of "Arogant person" ales and you'll be on your ass in no time! There are lots of fantastic tasting beers at over 8% and some at 9% that are really tasty and will **** you up in no time!
tongue.gif

These are actually the ones I like the most, dark brews are not only healthier for you, in my opinion they taste better, but they usually also have higher alcohol content. Just steer clear of Guinness, it's over-marketed crap compared to nice Stouts.

Thanks for the information.My son likes Guinness,I cannot stand the taste.
I will try some of your suggestions if I can find them in Ohio.

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #379 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the information.My son likes Guinness,I cannot stand the taste.
I will try some of your suggestions if I can find them in Ohio.

Anytime friend, just look for the bottles that look like they are full of dark brew, or mention the word "Abbey" on them. That's my personal judgment call before tasting. I usually like very thick brews and especially love dark and stronger beers that really taste like what I think a good beer should taste like. Of course my tastes differ from a lot of IPA loving folks, but I don't understand them for their pussified tastes anyway.
tongue.gif

Best thing you could do (anybody in this case), just grab one of each and every bottle in the store that you haven't tried before, spend that $20 and find out what tastes the best... Oh, just don't do it in one night because you won't remember what the beers taste like after the first few
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #380 of 2,001
First time posting to this thread ... but I'm a big time Beeradvocate user and long term craft ale fan.

(I also drink Bud Light when I'm low on change!)

That said ...

Last night I had a Rogue Brewers flagship ale, their 16 dollar per bottle Imperial IPA which I found to be quite delicious but a tad over priced.

I don't know what I was expecting for 16 bucks and all ... maybe a vision of the Hop Goddess herself? Maybe something just slightly better than my other favorite DIPA's (Titan Hercules, etc.) but what I got was a rather decent, if not typical double IPA and a really really cool bottle/mini 'growler' to keep as a souvenir:

smily_headphones1.gif

[size=medium]Rogue Brewers
Imperial India Pale Ale[/size]

rogue1.jpg

rogue2.jpg

A very fine double IPA.

Hops out the arse. Huge huge ale.

It'll get you crappy real quick too. The high alcohol is very well hidden.

Here's a beer advocate link.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #381 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time posting to this thread ... but I'm a big time Beeradvocate user and long term craft ale fan.

Last night I had a Rogue Brewers flagship ale, their 16 dollar per bottle Imperial IPA which I found to be quite delicious but a tad over priced.

Hi s1rrah,

I'm in Houston as well and am curious to know where you picked up the Rogue flagship? Does the main Specs on Smith St. carry it?

$16 is pretty damn pricey, but then again the Dogfish Head Fort was around that price last year and quite enjoyable. I'd probably rather have 2 120 minutes or Raison de' Extra's for that kind of cash, however I'm still interested in going to check out the bottle.

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #382 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi s1rrah,

I'm in Houston as well and am curious to know where you picked up the Rogue flagship? Does the main Specs on Smith St. carry it?

$16 is pretty damn pricey, but then again the Dogfish Head Fort was around that price last year and quite enjoyable. I'd probably rather have 2 120 minutes or Raison de' Extra's for that kind of cash, however I'm still interested in going to check out the bottle.

Specs downtown (smith) has it. (or at least they did a week ago).

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #384 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Specs downtown (smith) has it. (or at least they did a week ago).

smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent! Thank you very much. I'll stop in and check it out tomorrow.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #385 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent! Thank you very much. I'll stop in and check it out tomorrow.

Don't mention it.

Saturday shopping at Specs downtown is almost a ritual for me; around 130pm each weekend, I'm the guy wearing Shure SE530's.
wink.gif

Otherwise ...

Here's some random inspiration for folks on a Saturday evening of listening:

bastardo.jpg

(I'm a big Stone Brewers fan)

wink.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #386 of 2,001
Just enjoying an ice cold bottle of New Belgium Fat Tire, though I'd have to pick up some more probably tomorrow.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #389 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Animal Mother /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did I miss this thread! My 2 favorites are killians and guinness.

I enjoyed Killians in the early 80s when it was only available out west. When it went national, something changed. It's still OK, but there's too much else out there. I rarely drink Guinness any more because of too many beers to try.
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately, I'm limited to one drink every couple of days. Because of this, I rarely drink the same beer twice within a couple of months.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back