Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jun 10, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #1,366 of 2,001

Quote:
Given they are one of the highest output trappists, the Westmalles are very popular for import; I dont even need to visit a specialty store to find them.  The trick is finding Westvleteren :wink:  Though that's probably hard for everyone outside of your wonderful nation

In the Netherlands Westvleteren is not a beer you will find much in the local shops. I don't think I ever had one either.

Quote:
Tonight, La Trappe Isid'or - strong caramel and nectarines, perfect level of bitterness given the medium-full body, though lacking in complexity.  B+

Ah yes, that is the beer I have had a couple of pages back. Didn't like it. It had an annoying sweetness in it. You must understand that I can enjoy a sweet beer, but only if it reminds me of something. This sweetness was just in the way of the taste (though the bitterness was good indeed). In Dutch we call this "weeïg". Perhaps Proglover knows a good translation for this?

From one of my dictionaries:
Quote:
[size=16pt]wee[/size] bijv.nw. / bijw.
ah, faint, pale, weak, sick, frail, wan, feeble, contraction (the ~), woe (the ~), labour pain (the ~)

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #1,367 of 2,001
^ here's what my translator says:

Nederlands Engels  

weeig sickly
alert.gif

Didn't have the Isid'or myself yet, but I remember drinking some La Trappe's, I liked them but not as much as Chimay's and Orval.
I do regularly drink La Trappe's weisbeer or 'witte trappist'

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #1,368 of 2,001

Quote:
Given they are one of the highest output trappists, the Westmalles are very popular for import; I dont even need to visit a specialty store to find them.  The trick is finding Westvleteren :wink:  Though that's probably hard for everyone outside of your wonderful nation

It's hard even inside Belgium! I've been on the phone for hours and hours trying to get in to order a crate, but I haven't succeeded so far.
It's a good beer, but imho it's been a bit hyped. Westmalle and lots of others are extremely good as well

As long as I can have my Duvel, Omer, Vedett and Hoegaarden Grand Cru, I am happy :)

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #1,371 of 2,001
Went to this last night: http://newhollandbrew.com/blog/featured/mad-hatter-birthday-bash/

New Holland's IPA is called the Mad Hatter. They do this every year. They had all of these on tap:
Mad Hatter
Imperial Hatter
Rye Hatter
Oak Aged Mad Hatter
Farmhouse Hatter
Oak Aged Imperial Hatter
Black Hatter
Smoked Hatter

They also he the Black Hatter on Cask and was amazing. 

Picked up a few bombers too:

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,376 of 2,001
I tried one of our Dutch trappists again, the La Trappe Isid'or. Liked it better then the last time I remember drinking it. Also like La Trappes white beer 'Witte Trappist'

I visited the beer specialty shop in Leiden today, currently drinking this one:

A great beer!

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #1,377 of 2,001
Finally I have a couple of these boys at home, which are probably my very favorite:

I think I have to thank Ultrainferno for this....
Knew he made a very positive comment about Delerium Tremens. When I saw it at a bar in The Hague, I ordered it and was immediately hooked with the flavor. Absolutely fantastic triple.

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #1,379 of 2,001

Quote:
Finally I have a couple of these boys at home, which are probably my very favorite:

I think I have to thank Ultrainferno for this....
Knew he made a very positive comment about Delerium Tremens. When I saw it at a bar in The Hague, I ordered it and was immediately hooked with the flavor. Absolutely fantastic triple.

They are good aren't they? Feel free to come over. we could check out that pub with the 130 belgian beers.
Oh and bring the LCD-2 :wink:

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,380 of 2,001
I am having a Guinness Special Export (8%) right now. Really nice beer. A very distinct roasted taste with lots of bitterness (it tastes like bitter chocolate and coffee) but with a very nice refreshing finish. A sweet Jack Daniels on the side completes it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back