Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Jul 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #1,396 of 2,001
ok, this St Bernardus Abt 12 has to be WAY stronger than the 10% abv on its label - i typically have 3 drinks per night without much more than my worries melting away.  i am well into tipsy having only had this + a brooklyn lager! 

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #1,397 of 2,001
img0198alaskanimperiali.jpg

Alaskan - Imperial IPA (8.5% ABV, IBU 60), Pilot Series Limited Edition Specialty Beers
- Caramel like malty & flowery hops aromatics
- Smooth, silky, medium mouthy feel
- Semi sweet malty, light bitter & flowery hops taste
- Slight bits of citrus peel type bitter-sweet
- Very similar after taste .. a bit more trails of the hoppy & citrus bitterness
- This is a smooth and EZ to drink beer .. I cannot really tell it is 8.5% ABV
- Nothing like what I was expecting from having other Imperial IPAs .. 7/10

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,398 of 2,001
For tonight, I have a nice Delirium Tremens and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the fridge. Man I'm going to enjoy those after this hot day in the Netherlands.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #1,399 of 2,001
Now this is a thread ... how did it take me so long to find it!

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #1,400 of 2,001
Had a Hoegaarden Grand Cru last night which was pretty good. For me it could use some more body but the flavour was good.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #1,401 of 2,001

Quote:
Had a Hoegaarden Grand Cru last night which was pretty good. For me it could use some more body but the flavour was good.

Try a Karmeliet (our Jumbo supermarket stocks them)

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,403 of 2,001

You can check the distribution list on Russian River Brewing's web site to see who they distribute to.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to distribute to Santa Cruz. 

http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/pages/accounts/index.html

RR doesn't distibute to BevMo's in the Bay Area, but most of the Whole Foods between Santa Rosa and San Francisco gets Pliny. 
Quote:
So where can one find some Pliny the Elder?  They never have it at whole foods or bevmo.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,404 of 2,001
Thanks bro. I check Campbell and Cupertino WF from time to time. Always out:rolleyes::mad:do I need to get crazy and start calling these places ? Once you taste the awesomeness, Bud 40oz just won't do. :D

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #1,405 of 2,001
img0220tt.jpg

Elysian - LOSER pale ale, Corporate Beer Still Sucks. (7% ABV)
- Mmmmmm...nice flowery smell of Crystal hops, hints of mango too
- Light~medium bodied, smooth mouthy feel
- Clean and smooth balance of light hops bitterness, sweet flowery hops, light sweet malts
- Very easy to drink, I'd recommend this to a "NASCAR" beer drinker (Coors, Bud, Miller..etc) to try a more flavorful beer
- Highly recommended 8/10

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #1,406 of 2,001
img0231up.jpg

Widmer Brothers - Barrel Aged Brrrbon (9.4% ABV), Limited Release #3 Fall 2010
- Hardly any aromatics .. very light grains & malts something .. trace of spices
- Medium bodied, smooth slick mouthy feel
- Huh .. light, smooth, almost creamy like malt/grain taste, with a nice touch of bourbon barrel flavor & spices .. hardly any hop bitterness
- It's kinda like a smooth rich malty ale with some bourbon in with it
- I cannot tell that is it 9.4% ABV .. none of the deep malty-alcoholy flavors
- This is very smooth to drink .. hardly any aftertaste, just hints of the bourbon maltyness & spices
- I didn't know what to expect with this one, I am surprised .. 9/10

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,407 of 2,001

Quote:
img0220tt.jpg

Elysian - LOSER pale ale, Corporate Beer Still Sucks. (7% ABV)
- Mmmmmm...nice flowery smell of Crystal hops, hints of mango too
- Light~medium bodied, smooth mouthy feel
- Clean and smooth balance of light hops bitterness, sweet flowery hops, light sweet malts
- Very easy to drink, I'd recommend this to a "NASCAR" beer drinker (Coors, Bud, Miller..etc) to try a more flavorful beer
- Highly recommended 8/10

Sub Pop? Like the Music Label?

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,408 of 2,001
im not much a fan of beer but being canadian i have drank budweiser and molson canadian.

personally i prefer coolers more.

im 18 but in 3 months i can legally go to the bars here in british columbia canada.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #1,409 of 2,001
dsc5115y.jpg

Henery Weinhard's - IPA
- Clean aromatics .. hardly anything at all
- Light~medium amber color, clean/clear .. similar mouthy feel
- Kinda has that typical Henery grain/malt taste .. but with some light bitter hopyness
- Very clean & crisp tasting .. the hops come in clean and finish clean .. kinda like a IPA light
- If you want a EZ to drink, slightly bitter IPA, for hot summer days .. try this
- I'd get it again .. 7/10

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,410 of 2,001
I got a 4 pack of la fin du monde for my birthday last week. Im just starting on my beer journey in life, but it is by far the most well rounded, exquisite, and overall best beer I've ever had. The flavor is complex yet clean. I'm not good at picking out specifics in flavors, but the only thing I could think while I drank it was this is how beer is supposed to be. A true experience and highly recommended

Users who are viewing this thread

Back