Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Oct 26, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #286 of 2,001
Just tasted this one last night:

http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=7&ssnl=1

There was launch party at a local bar last night. I really like this beer, since I love dark chocolate. The chocolate isn't overwhelming, in fact is rather restrained, but when it reaches proper drinking temperature, the finish is almost identical to that of a fine, high cocoa solid chocolate bar. The trademark Ommegang yeast aroma and flavor are there as well, and the chocolate in the nose in nice when the beer warms up (it was being served way too cold for a Belgian Ale). I will definitely be looking for some bottles to cellar for a few years. I also look froward to tasting it in a proper glass, rather than the plastic cups it was being poured in.

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #287 of 2,001
1087.jpg

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #288 of 2,001
Some new stuff in my fridge:
Omme_Indul.jpg

Lost_Arrogant.jpg

Port_Weyer.jpg

Cowboy_beer.jpg

three_epic.jpg

Oh yeah, American brews SUCK!!!! :lol:

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #289 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some new stuff in my fridge

Damn, lots of good stuff there. I'm not familiar with that Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence, but I love the brewery, I may have to try to find some of that. How do you feel about the nitro cans Young's comes in? I personally hate the things, the beer always comes out flat.

Unfortunately a friend gave me a Leinenkugel 12-pack variety thing and I won't have room in my fridge for much else until I finish it
frown.gif
. I'm not a big fan of Leinie's, the Red Lager is ok and the Creamy Dark is ok, but I really don't like the Sunset Wheat or Honey Weiss. People like them around here because they're local but there's just so much better stuff out there that I'd rather be drinking. Ah well, there are worse problems to have I suppose
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although I do also have some Three Floyds Robert the Bruce scottish ale that's very good. And some Macallan 12 if I'm so inclined. But god I wish I didn't have to drink that Leinenkugel stuff.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #291 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darkninja, tasty looking selection there.

Let me know what you think of the Sierra Nevada Harvest. I keep hearing good things about that brew.

~Z

In my other forum the members say it is awesome. I have 2 bottles now and may grab some more.

EDIT: The Southern Tier Un-Earthly was really good. You can see my first bottle in the 2nd picture on my shelf. Really well balanced for an IIPA.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #292 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, lots of good stuff there. I'm not familiar with that Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence, but I love the brewery, I may have to try to find some of that. How do you feel about the nitro cans Young's comes in? I personally hate the things, the beer always comes out flat.

I actually just had one and it had a great head of foam. Tasted pretty good to me. Reminded me of the Guinness cans that have the ball in it.

I believe they say the cans are better than the bottles when if comes to Youngs, at least I read that over at RB.

EDIT: I see you had some Three Floyds. I have been trying to find a bomber of their stuff for months now. Can you get bottles of their stuff? and would you like to trade anything if you can??

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #293 of 2,001
Hey darkninja, looks like you've got a good size fridge!, or not much else in it.
icon10.gif
Are you going to save the Stone - Vertical Epic until it matures? I've got a bottle and am having a hard time leaving it alone, so far I have been able to keep it, but all the way to 12/12/12???? I doubt it. That Southern tier looks good, I'll have to look for it. And I haven't seen the SN Harvest but will pick up a 6pk as soon as I do. IPA's kick ass.

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #294 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey darkninja, looks like you've got a good size fridge!, or not much else in it.
icon10.gif
Are you going to save the Stone - Vertical Epic until it matures? I've got a bottle and am having a hard time leaving it alone, so far I have been able to keep it, but all the way to 12/12/12???? I doubt it. That Southern tier looks good, I'll have to look for it. And I haven't seen the SN Harvest but will pick up a 6pk as soon as I do. IPA's kick ass.

The Southern Tier is INCREDIBLE IMO. I like hoppy beers and this one is HUGE. I have had Ruination IPA, 90 Minute, 120 Minute, Wipeout IPA, atc and this one is epic. I will try the Hop-15 soon as it is supposed to be great.

The fridge is a mini fridge. Anything that is corked and caged will probably stay in there at 52F for a couple of months at least.

I used to be into cigars so you can imagine what I was smoking.

EDIT: Try to find the Port Wipeout or Hop-15 if you like IPAs. Also Dogfish Head 90 Minute.

Nov 10, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #295 of 2,001
Budweiser!

photos

2007rawphotos

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #296 of 2,001
Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout

99 pts......Molasses, Hops, Smoke.....aah refreshing!

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #297 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

is that 99 points, or 99 pints?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #298 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That stuff truly is excellent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some new stuff in my fridge:
Omme_Indul.jpg

I loved the Sierra Nevada stuff. I have a soft spot for Centennial and Cascade hops and it delivers those in spades.

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #299 of 2,001
guinness01ra2.jpg

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #300 of 2,001
I used to love Caffrey's Irish Ale when it was available in the USA. Notice the past-tense. I wonder what happened?

Caffreys_Irish_Ale_440CAN.jpg

I've tried Wexford Irish Cream Ale as a substitute. Good, but not quite the same as Caffrey's.
wexford.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back